Fuel Hoses

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts

Moderator: Gazza

Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Fuel Hoses

Post by Pat Slade » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 16:03

I am in the process of replacing the fuel hoses on the Z1 and thought some of you might want to know that one of the hoses, connecting the fuel filter, which has been unavailable for a time is now available from November 3rd. The part number is 16122294224 (Item 12 on Real OEM diagram ).
When I was speaking with René Visser in the summer he suggested that a plain length of hose will take the required S bend. However I think that a shaped hose must be preferable.
These parts are often only produced in small batches so if any of you are thinking about fuel hose replacement I suggest you grab one now!

Best wishes to all.

Pat

Green Genie

Z1 roadster

Re: Fuel Hoses

Post by Green Genie » Sat 04 Nov, 2017 00:15

Pat, out of interest how many fuel hoses are there in total? I'm assuming you're replacing all of them.

Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:34

Keith,

I haven't counted all the hoses. My main concerns at present are those hoses directly involved from the tank to the engine and back as they are under pressure.
Most of these are 8x13mm plain pipe which can be cut to length from hose sold by length.
In addition there are several shaped fuel hoses, some pressurised some not.
Plus of course a multitude of smaller non injection hoses, for vacuum lines, charcoal filter, and breathers. Most of these can be cut from lengths and are not shaped.
On the pressurised side replacement of the engine compartment and filter hoses is straightforward.
The hoses connecting to the fuel pump on the top of the tank will be the most difficult to replace as it will require removal of the boot carpet or removal of the fuel tank.
Anybody have any suggestions about removing and replacing the boot carpet without visible damage?

Pat

Green Genie

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 18:45

Pat Slade wrote:
Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:34

The hoses connecting to the fuel pump on the top of the tank will be the most difficult to replace as it will require removal of the boot carpet or removal of the fuel tank.
Anybody have any suggestions about removing and replacing the boot carpet without visible damage?

Pat

On that basis mine will be swapped out as and when they cause problems.

felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 18:22

Green Genie wrote:
Sun 05 Nov, 2017 18:45
On that basis mine will be swapped out as and when they cause problems.
Definitely worth a look to see what shape the pressurised hoses are in. To wait until there's a leak may require a fire extinguisher or worse. Too many classic cars have gone up in smoke due to perished fuel hoses.