Fuel Hoses

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Fuel Hoses

Post by Pat Slade »

I am in the process of replacing the fuel hoses on the Z1 and thought some of you might want to know that one of the hoses, connecting the fuel filter, which has been unavailable for a time is now available from November 3rd. The part number is 16122294224 (Item 12 on Real OEM diagram ).
When I was speaking with René Visser in the summer he suggested that a plain length of hose will take the required S bend. However I think that a shaped hose must be preferable.
These parts are often only produced in small batches so if any of you are thinking about fuel hose replacement I suggest you grab one now!

Best wishes to all.

Pat
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Re: Fuel Hoses

Post by Green Genie »

Pat, out of interest how many fuel hoses are there in total? I'm assuming you're replacing all of them.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Keith,

I haven't counted all the hoses. My main concerns at present are those hoses directly involved from the tank to the engine and back as they are under pressure.
Most of these are 8x13mm plain pipe which can be cut to length from hose sold by length.
In addition there are several shaped fuel hoses, some pressurised some not.
Plus of course a multitude of smaller non injection hoses, for vacuum lines, charcoal filter, and breathers. Most of these can be cut from lengths and are not shaped.
On the pressurised side replacement of the engine compartment and filter hoses is straightforward.
The hoses connecting to the fuel pump on the top of the tank will be the most difficult to replace as it will require removal of the boot carpet or removal of the fuel tank.
Anybody have any suggestions about removing and replacing the boot carpet without visible damage?

Pat
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Pat Slade wrote: Sun 05 Nov, 2017 12:34
The hoses connecting to the fuel pump on the top of the tank will be the most difficult to replace as it will require removal of the boot carpet or removal of the fuel tank.
Anybody have any suggestions about removing and replacing the boot carpet without visible damage?

Pat

On that basis mine will be swapped out as and when they cause problems.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Green Genie wrote: Sun 05 Nov, 2017 18:45 On that basis mine will be swapped out as and when they cause problems.
Definitely worth a look to see what shape the pressurised hoses are in. To wait until there's a leak may require a fire extinguisher or worse. Too many classic cars have gone up in smoke due to perished fuel hoses.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Wonder if these guys can help:

www.brakepipesets.com
www.automec.co.uk
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Given the recent news regarding proposed enhanced ethanol E10 fuel in the UK ( I blame Brexit) I think the time has finally come to inspect and replace the rubber fuel lines with E10 compatible nitrile lined kit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757

As for those vehicles which could be affected see the attached link. As for the Z1 the following is an extract from the report.

"BMW Group

All petrol engine BMW models are cleared for the use of E10 petrol regardless of their year of manufacture but the minimum octane required should be observed according to the owner’s manual."

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publication ... bility.pdf
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Having checked the hoses they seem to be in pretty good condition externally. I assume they are originals as the marked part number, 1717 029V, is no longer current. BMW cannot however confirm if new replacement parts are nitrile lined E10 compliant in which case is makes sense to order aftermarket hose and cut to size. Several of the hose clamps were jubilee clips rather thatn fuel line clamps so will need to be replaced.

sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Suggest you get cleaning Toni - that wheel arch space is filthy! Shame on you!

Just kidding. How many 30 year old cars are this fresh?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog