Interior colours

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
IanT

Z1 roadster

Interior colours

Post by IanT »

Hi All,

I am new to the world of Z1's having purchased a Top Red low low milage car a couple of months ago.

I am working on a refurb of the interior right now and need some advice on colours. The original colour scheme was standard nubuck/camoflage leather in 0300 Dunkelgrau.

The part I'm struggling with is whether that colour applies to just the the leather dash, the nubuck on the seats/console etc. I have looked at many, many photos on the web and the leather looks a bit two-tone in most of those with the dashboard etc in a darker grey than then nubuck.

Is all the (non-camo) leather supposed to be the same colour but appears different because of the texture? What colour was the dashboard/steering wheel supposed to be?

Thanks in advance!

Ian
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Interior colours

Post by Gazza »

The Nubuck colour was darker than what you see now.

If you look behind the plastic seat back you will see the original colour which is more like the leather colour.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
IanT

Z1 roadster

Post by IanT »

Hi Gazza,

Thanks for that. I have managed to get the nubuck to almost the same colour as the darker bits behind the shells so I'm really pleased with the way tha'ts turned out. I'll have a go at posting a before and after photo. As far as I am concerned, the seats are as good as I am likely to get them without a complete re-trim.

My main issue is the rest of the leather. The dash/door trims/steering wheel etc have faded to a sort of yellowy browny grey colour. I either want to recolour them back to original or to black. I got some leather colour restorer made up in what is meant to be the correct original colour and it looks a bit like battleship grey to me and I was expecting it to be something like anthracite.

Part of me wants to restore to as close to original as possible but the other part of me thinks that if it is really that "mid grey" colour, maybe I should go black?

I've rambled on a bit there but Is the rest of the leather supposed to be as dark as the nubuck on the seats?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

There is a member here named Darren Wilson, user name DPW, he has recently completed a fantastic refurb of his interior.

You should be able to send him an email via this forum.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Hi Ian,

Glad to see your making progress, both are dark gray, the finish will look different of course on leather and Nubuck taking into account fading. I would say stick with original colour unless its personal preference to go to black. Can you take a photo of the dash and new dye in daylight and post?

Chrissy Wahl who supplied many of us over the years with interior dyes, cleaners and products (and Darren I think) are an exact match to the original. She is very helpful and you dont need to buy anything for her advice.

Chrissy website: http://www.leder-pflege.de
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

I have done mine and now looks perfect.
Was not happy with cap in front of the steeringwheel so i toke it of and did this part inside the kitchen.
Looks like new
Good luck.
IanT

Z1 roadster

Post by IanT »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll contact Chrissy and order some of the correct colour.

I tried to contact Darren but I don't know if he accepts DM's. If he does then I'm doing it wrong because its been sat in my outbox for several days.

The car is minus seats in the garage under a fluorescent tube light so no chance of any daylight photos until the New Year unfortunately.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Messages stay in your outbox until the recipient logs in and picks them up. So if they are still in your outbox, he hasn't seen them yet.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You can also send an email.
Gazza

ImageImage