LH Window Motor required

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

LH Window Motor required

Post by lamakdaddy »

Hi

My 1991 Z1 Window motor is faulty. The door rises and then window goes up but 3 out of 10 the window comes back down again. Munich Legends have diagnosed a faulty window motor - 51 33 2 290 521. These are NLA at BMW. Any ideas for where I might find one?

Thanks
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: LH Window Motor required

Post by Juvvajuvva »

Hi,
I have one I can sell you.
Do you need just the motor or the mec as well?
Cheers
John.
lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

Post by lamakdaddy »

thanks. I have emailed you.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Definitely a motor issue? what other symptoms?
lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

Post by lamakdaddy »

Hi Jet

Munich Legends have the car and this is their diagnosis. The window goes up with the door and when it gets to the top, it sometimes drops back down again to about 3/4 of the opening. The window can then be closed by holding the key. They feel that the hall sensor in the window motor is faulty..
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Happens to mine now and again, more noticeable when its cold.

Its been a while since I did this, but from memory if you are able to control the window, then it sounds like the motor is doing its job. Unless I misunderstood, both electric motors, (door / window), are similar in design, there are no internal sensors I am aware of, they are managed by the door control unit, if you think it is sensor related, I would start there.

Does it happen all the time, what have they tried so far?
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

lamakdaddy wrote: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:40 The window goes up with the door and when it gets to the top, it sometimes drops back down again to about 3/4 of the opening. The window can then be closed by holding the key.
Sonds like activated anti-trap facility.
lamakdaddy wrote: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:40 They feel that the hall sensor in the window motor is faulty.
Nonsense! There is a sensor, but that sensor is only for saving the window position before door is opend. So the window-motor is able to find the same position after closing the door again.

The anti-trap facility works by analysing the current of the window lifter motor and the data that was "recorded" while the initialisation was done. (first activating of door after pulling out the fuses 25 and 26 and instert it again)

Maybe the stoppers for the upper position of the windowlifter arm (look here for example: https://is.gd/ZsaEuB or https://is.gd/3RYllR ) are worn out, then the upper position is too high every time and adjustment isn't possible anymore.

Regards
Michael
Men of steel driving cars of plastic! :-D

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

If you like, please visit Z1-Nordlichter / Leather Care / Roadster-Fashion.de

I believe I can fly... *lalala* Image
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Kossyk!!

Long time no speak.

Happy New year!
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

@Jet:

Happy new year to you too... hope the next summer will better than the last. ;)

regards
Michael

Sorry, for my poor english... schooltime is already a few years ago, but I try to do my very best! :-D

lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

Post by lamakdaddy »

Stoertie wrote: Tue 02 Jan, 2018 18:43
lamakdaddy wrote: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:40 The window goes up with the door and when it gets to the top, it sometimes drops back down again to about 3/4 of the opening. The window can then be closed by holding the key.
Sonds like activated anti-trap facility.
lamakdaddy wrote: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:40 They feel that the hall sensor in the window motor is faulty.
Nonsense! There is a sensor, but that sensor is only for saving the window position before door is opend. So the window-motor is able to find the same position after closing the door again.

The anti-trap facility works by analysing the current of the window lifter motor and the data that was "recorded" while the initialisation was done. (first activating of door after pulling out the fuses 25 and 26 and instert it again)

Maybe the stoppers for the upper position of the windowlifter arm (look here for example: https://is.gd/ZsaEuB or https://is.gd/3RYllR ) are worn out, then the upper position is too high every time and adjustment isn't possible anymore.

Regards
Michael
Thanks

I purchased these from you Michael and fixed them but no luck. I also had the garage try the fuse reset but with no luck. We also swapped the ECUs over but the same result occurred. Therefore I guess its the sensor that records the position to be at fault. I will speak with Munich Legends once again to confirm but they already stripped the door and tried to reset it but with the same outcome..
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

lamakdaddy wrote: Thu 04 Jan, 2018 08:02
Stoertie wrote: Tue 02 Jan, 2018 18:43
lamakdaddy wrote: Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:40
I purchased these from you Michael and fixed them but no luck. I also had the garage try the fuse reset but with no luck. We also swapped the ECUs over but the same result occurred. Therefore I guess its the sensor that records the position to be at fault. I will speak with Munich Legends once again to confirm but they already stripped the door and tried to reset it but with the same outcome..
*oups* Sorry! ;)
Ok, then I think the only possibility is, to buy a new or used motor or to find somebody who is able to open the motor for repairing it.

Regards
Michael

Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

Jet wrote: Sat 20 Jan, 2018 15:06 My german is none existent, but I think one of these?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Z1-Z1-Stella ... SwSypZAE3b

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Z1-Z1-Flachm ... SwuspZAE3v
Hi together, ;)

@Jet:
I think the second one is the window lifter, but...

1. it's for the right side and that one ios available direct from BMW and costs new with 2 years warranty € 453,75 :shock:
2. it's offered by the Danish profiteer who thought Z1-dirvers have a printing press for money. (I advice everyone, who is thinking about buying parts from that seller, to have a look in the online shop of Leebmann24 if the part is available, because most of the parts are much more cheaper as new parts when you buy it at your BMW-Dealer. :wink:

If I need a window lifter for the left side, first I would contact the BMW-Classic direct and ask what to do now. In the second step,I would decompose my broken motor, then try to find out what part is broken and when it's no part that has a mounting side (only iusable for right or left), I would buy a new motor for the right side and repair my left side motor.... :-) That's expensive and a lot of work, but then you a working window lifter. :)

Regards
Michael

lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

Post by lamakdaddy »

I managed to find a used LH window motor. Fingers crossed it solves the issue. With this done the car will be in A1 condition!
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

lamakdaddy wrote: Thu 01 Feb, 2018 10:49 I managed to find a used LH window motor. Fingers crossed it solves the issue. With this done the car will be in A1 condition!
Let us know how you get on, always good to know the outcome for future reference.

Good luck.
tg184

Z1 roadster

Post by tg184 »

I'm hearing that BMW are ramping up parts prices for older cars. So this might be the way things are going.

Anyone heard anything similar?
FOR: Balance
AGAINST: Yours will be in doubt at this price

- CAR Magazine's GBU summary of the Z1 in period
lamakdaddy

Z1 roadster

Post by lamakdaddy »

Hooray! I have working doors!!! The new window motor fixed everything.
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

Top. Weldone