Importing a Z1 to the US

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
ChristopherB

blank.gif

Importing a Z1 to the US

Post by ChristopherB »

Hello everyone,

Has anyone out there gone through the trouble of importing a Z1 into the United States under the "show and display" guidelines? I'm wondering what kind of expense is involved in addition to importing the car.

Thanks.

-Christopher
Rick Meinig

Z1 roadster

US Importation of the Z1

Post by Rick Meinig »

I imported my Z1 in the fall of 2003 under the NHSTA guidlines. You will need to determine with the NHSTA if the Z1 is still eligible...Roughly your costs above the purchase price will be shipping ($1800), customs ($1000), EPA testing ($11000), and possible storage fees during the customs/federal inspection...Its an arduous and nerve wracking process. Plan on at least 3months of limbo after you have purchased a car in Europe....There are horror stories of cars being impounded if the paper work runs afoul....Wallace Environmental Testing Labs in Houston, Tx has probably the most experience with bringing in Z1's (maybe 3 or 4 at this point) so I would recommend that you contact them directly (they have a good website). There are other companies that are listed at the NHTSA website that do the testing etc....You can contact these as well if the Z1 remains an approved car for importation.
Hope this helps....the NHTSA should be your first contact as everything could have changed since 2003.
RickMeinig
ChristopherB

blank.gif

Post by ChristopherB »

Thanks for the reply. Did you import yours under the "show and display" guidelines or as a full street legal car?
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I read this post with some interest as I'm looking to move out to North Carolina and was thinking do I take my beloved Z3 with me :? sounds like its not easy(like US immigration).

Steve.
ChristopherB

blank.gif

Post by ChristopherB »

With the Z3 already a car that was sold in the US I'm sure that importation will be minimal hassle. THe Z1 is a whole other monster. Turns out that in addition to the price of the car (I've seen them for 22 to 28 BP) there's the shipping, importation taxes and then the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and DOT (Department of Transportation) fees and testing, which could run $6000.00 plus. This gets the car imported under the "show and display" clause which has limited yearly mileage and other restrictions. Damn, for as much as I love my country (thought not the present government), this is a major pain in the ass.

So, $32k (maybe more) US dollars for a Z1 that I cannot drive whenever I want? That's a bit steep.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Steve E wrote:I read this post with some interest as I'm looking to move out to North Carolina and was thinking do I take my beloved Z3 with me :? sounds like its not easy(like US immigration).

Steve.
Actually, I would guess that it's easier to use some of the special clauses for car import to get a Z1 into the US than a non-US Z3 as the Z1 was never originally imported whereas the Z3 is/was available in the US.
Rick Meinig

Z1 roadster

Post by Rick Meinig »

Christopher:
My Z1 is imported under the Show and Display provisions. I keep a driving log although I have no idea as to whom will check it.... I have driven the Z1 in last year's BMW Vintage and Classic Car Club of America Marathon and last week's BMWVCCCA Colorado Holiday (see my website for pix of these events as well as the BMWVCCCA site). These are great venues as they highlight BMW's and emphasize some real driving. There was/is a Z1 for sale in Dallas. Contact me off list and I can track down the owner...
Rick
martlet
Z Register member

M coupe S54

Post by martlet »

Steve E wrote:I read this post with some interest as I'm looking to move out to North Carolina and was thinking do I take my beloved Z3 with me :? sounds like its not easy(like US immigration).

Steve.
I wonder why you would take a Right Hand Drive car (at least I assume it is RHD since you are based in the UK) to the US. At least the Z1 is Left Hand Drive, so would be easier to drive in the US (i. e. on the right side of the roads)
SEP 2003: Bought 2002 Z3 M Coupé Titanium Silver with Black Leather.
OCT 2003: Adjustable interior Rear View Mirror.
Early 2005: Front Strong Strut. Replaced all tyres with F1s. Added rear Strong Strut.
AUG 2005: EXDOS Mod
SEP 2006: Retrofit Cruise Control
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

martlet wrote:

Steve.
I wonder why you would take a Right Hand Drive car (at least I assume it is RHD since you are based in the UK) to the US. At least the Z1 is Left Hand Drive, so would be easier to drive in the US (i. e. on the right side of the roads)
It's a fair point and I'm looking at all options but i've had my Z since new in 99, picked the spec /options, waited 4 months for it to arrive, drove back with my new wife in her, honeymooned in her and she's only done 13000 miles :D and the last time i was in the states(April) i saw a few people driving RHD cars.

P.S I was taken by the 2005 Mustang convertible 8-)

Steve.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

martlet wrote:

Steve.
It's a fair point and I'm looking at all options but i've had my Z since new in 99, picked the spec /options, waited 4 months for it to arrive, drove back with my new wife in her, honeymooned in her and she's only done 13000 miles :D and the last time i was in the states(April) i saw a few people driving RHD cars.

P.S I was taken by the 2005 Mustang convertible 8-)

Steve.
aurelius

Z1 roadster

Importing a Z1

Post by aurelius »

I have imported three Z1's into the USA. There is no choice in the matter: it must be imported via DOT's Show and Display exemption. The costs are high. For a sub-10k km Z1 in truly excellent conditon, you'll spend upwards of $50k when it's all said and done.

Foreigners can import cars on a temporary basis, I think up to a year, with no modification to the car. You have to post a bond guaranteeing you'll eventually send the car back out of the USA.

As for Americans importing models that were or are sold in the USA, it is usually cost-prohibitive. Especially for anything built 1996+, which must be retro-fitted with OBD2 sensors and electronics all over the car. Not helping matters of cost is the anemic state of the USD.

I have a red '91 for sale now and all the governmental stuff is done:

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/ ... rtby=&dir=

The process was a pain but it is truly great cruising around in a car that may as well be from outer space, as far as 90% of the people on US roads are concerned.

There is more to these 3 methods of importation, PM me if you have questions.
firstusz1

Z1 roadster

Not so fast

Post by firstusz1 »

I wrote the original package for the Z1 and imported the first Z1. I would not recommend Wallace Labs to anyone for anything.
$11,000 for EPA work is high. Compliance and Research in NJ is better and cheaper.
Show and Display was not written to allow individuals or businesses to import more than one car. Aurelius has imported at least three. It may or may not be illegal. I would call OVSC, Clint Lindsay, Chief Investigator to find out.
One can buy a Z1 with low mileage in Germany for $20K+.
aurelius

Z1 roadster

Post by aurelius »

Appreciative as those of us are for your efforts which have paved our way for USA import, as we've discussed the three I imported were on behalf of myself, my brother, and a friend of ours. I was the "point man" in that process (found the cars, flew to Germany twice, etc.). As a result -- and as much time, hassle, and risk was involved -- I have a Z1 in my garage. So I have that going for me, which is nice.
G.Holloway

Z1 roadster

Educating Gary

Post by G.Holloway »

For my benefit and im sure some others, can someone explain why you cant import a Z1 into the US for road use? what is this legislation that prevents it? is it for monetary reasons they came up with this law?

I would like to know this, as i thought it had something to do with tax reasons?
(and I can explain to the many americans that ask)

Regards

GH
aurelius

Z1 roadster

Post by aurelius »

Any car that was not originally built for the USA market is nearly impossible to import unless it's more than 25 years old, at which time the federal government's emissions and safety rules do not apply.

The main barrier to import is lack of crash test data performed specifically by the manufacturer for the US DOT (Dept. of Transportation). The Z1 is in this category and had good company for many years (Porsche 959, McLaren F1, and others). Some of these cars can now be imported under the DOT's Show & Display exemption, which allows individuals to import cars like the Z1 for personal use limited to 2500 miles per year.

Just last week, I saw a Bugatti EB110 in Dallas and a 959 in LA, both of which would have been imported under this special provision.

Bottom line is that this is a supposed safety and emissions issue but as those of us who regularly drive in US cities can attest, the average American car at 10+ years of age is much more of a threat to public health and welfare than any desirable European import will ever be. Aging SUV's are a perfect example, there being no tax or other incentives to keep such cars off the roads, with the possible recent exception of higher fuel prices.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Here's a good summary of the issues: http://www.bmwworld.com/bmw/importing.htm
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Seem like a lot of agro. The pleasure of driving a Z1 it’s worth immigrating to Europe for the privilege and probably cheaper lol.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Apologies in advance for reviving this old thread, but it seems to be the best I could find on this topic via the search engine...

I am getting ready to ship and import my Z1 to the US. The final desitnation for my car will be Arizona, so I am hoping to find a registered importer in the southwestern US. I have a quote from Wallace Labs (referenced above), but they have been "less than knowledgable" in our email exchange, so I am a bit leery of their service. (I had to tell them about the show and display exemption).

Anyone with recommendations in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, or Southern California would be appreciated...

TIA
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
aurelius

Z1 roadster

Post by aurelius »

I used Automobile Concepts in Miami (http://www.ri-ici.com/). From what I have heard since, they have the most experience with the Z1. But there are potential pitfalls to this process. If you're so inclined, reply with your contact info and I will get in touch with you directly.
Rick Meinig

Z1 roadster

Z1 US importation

Post by Rick Meinig »

I used Wallace so I'm not sure why they are less than knowledgeable about the process...I have't kept up with the regulations so make sure you have the authorization to import papers in hand before proceding any further. Contact the folks that Aurlelius has used in Miami too see what their recent experiences have been. I know of two Z1's imported to the East Coast in 2006 so it was doable fairly recently. I can probably find out who did the work but as I vaguely recall it was in the Baltimore area. Any emissions lab from the approved list should suffice. There isn't really any modifications of any significance required for the Z1. It is still expensive given that!
Rick
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Thanks for the prompt reply, guys...

Rick--The first reponse from Wallace was that the Z1 is not eligible and was going to cost $12000+ to "convert" to US specs...hence my hesitation to deal with them. Your experience with them sounds like it was less than satisfactory as well.

Aurelius--PM sent...
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Rick Meinig

Z1 roadster

Z1 US importation

Post by Rick Meinig »

I had a positive experience with Wallace Labs....their Houston location is a nice day drive to Colorado Springs as well! They handled clearing the car from Customs in Houston which was the Port of Entry--so it was essentially a turn key affair for me. It sounds like some have had less than ideal experiences but this seems typical of what I have heard about other operations as well. For sure you want to have someone that you personally trust and can deal with....Once the car is loaded on board in Europe you don't get to see it until it is at the lab! There are lots of opinions on shipping: Roll-on-Roll-off vs Carton. I did the "ro-ro" vs the crate figuring that a car that is in the open is less likely to be messed with than one that is enclosed but still accessible. I've shipped two cars from Europe in "ro-ro" without problems--including one from the Republc of Georgia !!!! PM me and I'll find the names of the shippers and certifying labs that were used last year--I know of two cars here in Colorado and one in Massachusetts that have made it recently. At the August BMWVCCCA "California Marathon", there were probably 20 classic cars shipped trans Atlantic (including 3 or 4 Z1's by German and UK owners) : http://picasaweb.google.com/RickMeinig/ ... rathon2008#
Rick
fluoman

Z1 roadster

Post by fluoman »

Hi,

First legally imported BMW Z1. Mileage is in kilometers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-BMW- ... 0305077803

@S@P
jsjbmwz1

Z1 roadster

Importing a Z1 to the States

Post by jsjbmwz1 »

I imported my 1991 Z1 January of 2007. Automobile Concepts was my registered importer. They handled most everything well. The wife, handled most of my transaction, was always helpful and attentive. They missed keeping up on their EPA paperwork though and I had to rebook a flight and change my plans to pick up the car. I got into a fairly heated debate with the husband who is rather obstinate to say the least. In general, things went quite smoothly. I replaced the back box and cat to ensure that the car blew clean. Once completed, we picked it up from their wharehouse and drove away on my English Plates. At the time, I worked for BMW UK, so the prep on the car and the sourcing was quite straight forward. The cost was around $10,000 to import, clear, parts and shipping costs. The process is not that difficult. The cost, however, is at current prices abroad due to the exchange rate. My car will be on display at this year's Euro event in Greenville, SC.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

duplicate post...
Last edited by Budget M3 on Tue 14 Oct, 2008 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

jsj,

Thanks for the insights...costs seem a little higher than quotes I have received elsewhere, but you did replace some parts so maybe that was the extra. If it's not too much trouble, would you be willing to PM me with the breakdown (shipping, import, customs duty, EPA testing, etc.)?

Which firm did you use for the transatlantic shipping from the UK?

Many thanks!