Wind deflector

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Wind deflector

Post by sfh3l »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wind deflector for the Z1?
I don't see a BMW one listed on RealOEM, but I have seen plenty of pics of cars wih them fitted.
Trying to hold onto what little hair I have left!
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Paul Drawmer
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Don't bother, just drive with the passenger window closed , and the driver's open. Seems odd, but when you are on your own, you will get a draught free ride.

There was an OEM one, it had a really neat fixing - but it's rather rare now.

There is also an aftermarket one - but I'm suffering a craft moment over the name of the gang that market it.

CRAFT moment - it's like a 'senior' moment. Can't Remember A F Thing.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Te he Paul.

I get those too, and I have less of an excuse.

I was considering making one up out of perforated zinc and copper pipe for a frame, and painting it all black. That would match the material used for the dash shelf, and look fairly "BMW" I thought.

Or perhaps not!

I've seen pictures of cars with them, and it looks as if a fairly small one could give quite a benefit.

Still, it's another thing to give bootspace to.......
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Classic Additions Wind Deflector

Post by andyhallas »

I've just fitted a wind deflector made by Classic Additions (http://www.classicadditions.co.uk/)

It makes a vast improvement to buffeting at speed with the roof down. However, I can't position it quite high enough to stop the top of my head catching a bit of wind but my wife is more than OK (I'm 6', she's 5'4").

Generally speaking its money well spent and the reduction of rear visibility is minimal.

Fitting is a case of undoing a couple of trim screws, attaching a two brackets in those locations and clamping up the deflector.

Added to this, Classic Additons service was superb. The first deflector got damaged by the courier and they replaced it with no argument and let me use the damaged item in the interim.

Overall I would highly recommend contacting Adrian at Classic Additions and negotiating a price (don't pay the price on the website!). I note that the deflector itself is sourced from Germany and I have seen very similar ones being sold on EBay so that could be the lowest cost way of getting one.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

wind deflector

Post by Pat Slade »

I don't know about the Classic Additions item but there are two German ones popular in the Z1 Club. They are made by KSM (www.ksm-exclusiv.de/ENG/) and AUCO (auco.de). Both require no drilling and are clamped to the car. The Auco one has an alloy frame and is curved in outline, the KSM one has a leather covered frame (which matches the gery leather in the car very well) and has angled top corners.
The web sites are helpful.
I haven't bought one yet as on most of the long journeys we make the hood is up to give extra luggage space!
andyhallas

Z1 roadster

Post by andyhallas »

From Pat's description it sounds like the Classic Additions component is the same as the KSM (i.e. leather clad with angled corners.
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

If you are buying or making one, ensure that it fits close to the back of the cockpit. Most of the Dutch club drivers had deflectors when we met them in Scotland and if there is a gap the wind comes down into the cockpit. Those with gaps were stuffed with jumpers and jackets.
I tried a Z4 material deflector (it fits over the headrests) but this left a huge gap.
antmez

Z1 roadster

Post by antmez »

ive been looking for a bug catcher for ages , ive seen them in black with a black interior but what do the look like on a car with a light interior (lemon)
anyone got any pics

ant
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

My wind deflector arrived from the Fatherland today. Very easy fit, took 25 mins, including bending the supplied brackets about a bit for best fit.

No verdict yet on how good it is at the job as the weather looked too horrible to venture out. I used the Zed at the weekend and got it filthy and din't fancy getting it clean a second time in 2 days. Wait for drier weather methinks.

I went fro the one from KSM in the end, as it was abit cheaper, and looked a bit more discreet.

I'll report on how good it is as and when I have anything.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Having had a chance to test the wind deflector last weekend, I am pretty pleased. It certainly doesn't cut out all the gusts that tug at the top of your head, but I would say that once you hit about 30mph it gets no worse until over 100.
For me, that pretty much covers the "normal use" range for driving.
I'd recommend it to anyone.

What was a little more tricky was the driver's door. We went out last Saturday, away for the night as it was my wife's 40th..... Stayed the night, and the car was parked outside in a very frosty hotel car park. On Sunday morning, the drivers door would not close in the "fully up" latched position - instead it went up to the top, but then sagged gently by about an inch.

We drove along with the top down for half an hour or so and then it rectified itself and is fine now. Is this just a microswitch that was temporarily frozen, or do I need to get in there and make any adjustments?

I know doors are a bit of a bugbear, but not had any problems so far.

Any ideas?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog
ChrisM
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisM »

Hi Sam

My drivers door did this once - but in the middle of summer !!

But that was 3 years ago and the door has been fine ever since.

So I would not worry unduly !!

Regards,

ChrisM.
ChrisM.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Cheers Chris,
I have been out a couple of times since, and it has been perfect.
My only worry is not being able to leave the car secure if it won't shut properly when I want to park it up.
A bit cold to have the top down today, but a lovely day for it nonetheless....
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

My Financial Blog