Help needed, info on how to re dye seats

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Help needed, info on how to re dye seats

Post by BBZ149 »

I have finally managed to clean most of the dirt off the Nubuk and wonder if there is any way to re dye it to the original dark gray color, as I find it now attracts even more dirt than before.

I love the light gray, and have even tried to scotch guard it after cleaning but still won’t keep the dirt away. I have spoken to liquid leather and they can supply a flexi coat paint dye but it will flatten the leather. I also need to do center console ETC :( .

Is there any fix to get these seats back to there original color by using just a dye with some sort of sealant :?: , as car looks like it’s been driven by a gipsy after a week or so

Would love to try and get this done before Gaydon if possible

Thanks
sterb

Z1 roadster

leder-pflege.de

Post by sterb »

I found this in Germany, she is the god when it comes to re-vitalizing the Z1 leather.

Check out the before (vorher) and after (nachher) pictures http://www.leder-pflege.de/galerie_neu.htm and the online shop http://www.leder-pflege.de/shop/ (left hand side Z1 -> Nubuk).

Let me know if you need any translation :D

Stefan.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Thanks sterb, might need to get back to you when I come round to ordering, if I can’t find them in the UK as there could be a translation problem lol.

Looking at there site they look like they have some excellent results on the final finish, especially on the side panels ETC.

It would be great if I could find the same restoration products in the UK.

Thanks again Stefan

Site automatically translated via Google here:
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... uage_tools
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Speak to Chrissy,
she is the shop owner and the only independent supplier of original camo leather in europe, for those of you wishing to fix the wrinkly bum seat sections, owns a lovely Blue Z1 with Alpina brake conversion 8-)
(good talking point)
sterb

Z1 roadster

Post by sterb »

I'm over in Germany in 2 weeks time so could bring some back for you, alternatively my parents live in Frankfurt and are also in the UK frequently... Then again posting from Germany to England is cheap enough to send direct, funny how posting from England to Germany is twice the price :shock:
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

G2TRG - I'd love to know the outcome of the seat dyng if you try it.
Mine to have faded, as they do, and though they are in great condition, they do look pretty crap after just a short while sitting in the car. Darker colour would definitely take the wear better.

For all these faded nubuk interiors - what's the story? Do we reckon the cars have been parked for hours in the dun with the top down, or is it just the product of years of parking outside where UV gets in through the windows? Just seems a little strange to me as my car's leather dash and seat bits are near perfect, and yet the nubuk looks almost as if bleached.
Again though, if it really had been left out like that, I'd expect the nubuk to look dry and denatured, which it does not. Are there any cars out there that have been garaged all their lives, which still have faded nubuk? I'd be interested to know.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Rolls 20 - '72 911T - 997 GTS
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL & Austin 7 Special - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Faded nubuk

Post by Pat Slade »

My car has spent most of its life garaged and also with a cover on. The colour of the nubuk is not as bleached as some I have seen, but is a hell of a lot lighter than it was 15 years ago when I bought the car. So I think in my case it has paled with age rather than exposure.
I would prefer to return the nubuk to a darker hue but do not have the confidence to try in case the dye coloration looks uneven.

Pat
Stoertie

Z1 roadster

Post by Stoertie »

sfh3l wrote:G2TRG -

Are there any cars out there that have been garaged all their lives, which still have faded nubuk? I'd be interested to know.

...Yes there are! :shock:

I've seen a ~ 5.000 km Z1 that was covered all the time till now. The nubuk was also much more lighter then it should be. Nubuk and all other "open surface" leathers (for example buffalo or aniline) are very sensitive against the sun light. Also against sunlight which is coming through windows!

Which results are possible you can see at: http://www.leder-pflege.de/galerie_neu.htm

There is a protection and care spray in Chrissy's shop called "Anilin-Protector", this makes the nubuk a little bit darker, because of the care products inside (syntetic oils)and it has UV blocker included. Just spray it thin at the nubuk parts every 6 month and your nubuk will have a smooth and nice looking surface... Image

If you have any questions about leather care, don't be afraid to ask Chrissy by mail under: Service@leder-pflege.de

If send her a mail, it will be helpful to send pictures of the leather... ;)

Best regards from the rainy germany
Michael

[/url]