New to the BMWZ3 Scene

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New to the BMWZ3 Scene

Post by johnz3 »

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1997 2.8 with 69k under its belt. It has full BMWSH and I have done a 1000 miles since I got it at the ned of August.

A few answers to a few questions please.

1.The temp gauge gets up to the middle after only 3 or 4 miles. Is this normal. I have no overheating probs.

2.Any advice on getting tail ies off. They are forced on well. Anybody know of any overlarge tail ipes that may go over the existing but still look good.

3. The struts on both sides of the front screen are pealing at the top. The covering is like a hard skin. Any views on how to improve these.

I know some or all of these may have been covered before but I would apreciate any latest advice as well

Many Thanks
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

1) Temp guage should sit nicely in the middle and doesn't take more than a few mins to get there - usually if the thermostat dies on a Z3, it makes it run cool rather than hot as the water pump finishes up running all the time.

2) Some tail pipe finishers have a screw on the underside that needs to be undone first, others are just a tight fix - a good soak with WD40 will probably help - I remember a post on here about it a while ago.

3) Not quite sure what you mean - the '97 had a black windscreen surround - is this what you mean? Or do you have the chrome surround retrofitted? Or is it painted?

Would be nice to see your new p+j - any chance of some pics?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc

2.8 Info

Post by Guest »

Welcome to the Zed World!

Yes, they do warm up very quickly - it's when they don't that you need to worry.

The 2.8 tail pipe trims are secured by a screw on the underside, but can take quite a bit of pulling to remove after a few years.

The screen pillars are covered in adhesive tape, which always looks awful - people who have removed it say all you need to do is heat it with a hair drier to soften the adhesive and peel it off, revealing the body colour underneath.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

My 99 2.8 tailpipes just pulled off, they needed working a bit but they did pull off eventually (they had a spring loaded mechanism to grip the inner pipes).

I shortened mine as much as I could (still left the vacuum bit on) and tack welded some stainless steel tailpipes over. It looked pretty good IMO and only cost about £35/£40 to do.
road2ruin

Not specified

Post by road2ruin »

I've just had a search but can't find the proof....I'm sure it was mentioned on here that you could get replacement tail pipes from a dealership at a very reasonable rate?
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

road2ruin wrote:I've just had a search but can't find the proof....I'm sure it was mentioned on here that you could get replacement tail pipes from a dealership at a very reasonable rate?
I've also seen these available for purchase on ebay at cheap rates. Worth a search
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the forum johnz3

I know you will have lots of fun in your new toy

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage

Tal Pipes

Post by Guest »

My ETK shows that for a 1997 2.8 the chrome tailpipe trims are 82 1 29 403 593.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks to everyone for their info.

I will be back with more questions shortly
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Welcome Johnz3

Don't foget the the pics :D