Door Comartment query

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Door Comartment query

Post by johnz3 »

I have a 1997 2.8 and have tried to find out what the two "coin like" sections are in the lift up tab by the drivers right leg in the drivers front door. If they were for coins then it would not close and I have spoken to another Z owner who is unaware of there purpose. The handbook does not help. Any ideas please?
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

It's for coins you might need while driving, IE toll booths (as it's made in america).
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Tourniquet wrote:It's for coins you might need while driving, IE toll booths (as it's made in america).
Would it not be in the left door then?? :wink:

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I did use it for coins a while back when I used to go across a toll bridge to get to work. I don't work there now, so due to a lack of other tollbooths in these parts, I now use it for my spare dustcaps! :mrgreen:

Even with the prospect of road charging looming, I don't see it being used for that purpose again, this government would prefer a direct debit on your bank account - you don't need a compartment for one of those. :head:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc

Coin box

Post by Guest »

You will no doubt have noticed that to reach the coin box requires a massive stretch - this is due to it having been designed to fit into the pocket of the LH door, to suit the US market.

When fitting the same box to the RHD market (UK, South Africa?, Japan etc) it has to be inserrted into the front of the door pocket, so making it only fit for use by those with very long arms.

It's useless to us, so you maight as well remove it and throw it away, so increasing dooe pocket volume by 25%. Just push the door lining outwardsand pull the coin boxinwards.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

I use it for storing coins needed for parking and toll roads and coins fit fine - have had a number of pound coins aswell as silver and copper coins at the same time.

Reaching it is not usually a problem either as when you are paying for parking or paying to go through a toll booth, you're pretty much stationary and can leane without endangering yourself or others, having said that though, I don't have to reach too much to get coins out!
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Robert T wrote:you don't need a compartment for one of those. :head:
No - you just need a bank account! :lol: