Fitting "proper" Sidelights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
c_w

M roadster S50

Fitting "proper" Sidelights

Post by c_w »

I've never been a fan of the look of the sidemarker sidelights on the Z3 (particularly when switched on with the headlights) and also feel they don't emit much light to be noticeable. A couple of times when driving near dusk I've been flashed by oncoming drivers even though I think I've got some lights on, but with only sidelights on they're not very noticeable face on.

Some models had the sidelights in the headlamp units and no side marker sidelights, I think this may be some of the very early models - I'm not sure. Anyway, all the headlamps have a casting mark for where a sidelight would go and the main headlamp unit also has a moulded hole for a sidelight bulb to fit.

Fitting them was pretty simple, the main job is removing the headlights to drill the cast hole out. Headlights are held in by 4 8mm bolts (whole the outer nut to keep the adjustment the same). Unclip all the electrical connections and the lights withdraw from the car.

I just unplugged the bubls from the sidelights, brough the wiring up to behind the lamps, drilled out the cast hole in the back of the headlight (careful not to drop anything shavings inside) and put the sidelight in the back of the lamp.

You can then just refit the headlights. I decided I wanted to fit a 2nd set of sidelights to the inner lamps so drilled a further whole and fitted a second set of bulbs in these (capless bulb holders are avaialbe at most car spares shops).

The second picture is taken without flash and the lights look much bright but they are are just regular 5w capless bulbs.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

8-) , maybe try the Hyperwhite sidelight bilbs ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

IIRC it was just the 1.9 that didn't have side markers (like mine, which was am 01/99 build). AFAIK the 2.8s all had them, as did all the post-facelift cars.

Question is, what are you going to do with the now redundant side markers?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Robert T wrote:IIRC it was just the 1.9 that didn't have side markers (like mine, which was am 01/99 build). AFAIK the 2.8s all had them, as did all the post-facelift cars.

Question is, what are you going to do with the now redundant side markers?

Cheers R.
Just going to leave them I think. I may consider having them removed and smoothed over if I was to repaint the bumper but I'm happy just to leave them without bulbs in for now.

Apart from the lack of light output, I'm not keen on the look of having the side marker light separate to the headlamp unit when the headlights are switched on.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

garythefish wrote:8-) , maybe try the Hyperwhite sidelight bilbs ?
Yep could do, although I won't get the "ice blue" ones like I did the old sidelights; the bulbs started off blue but had turned black when I removed them over the weekend!!!
Malbec

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Malbec »

In many countries what we refer to as sidelights, they call Parking Lights.
Only my opinion, but if you think you need lights then headlights should be used.
It looks as if the EU will soon make us all drive with our headlights on all of the time anyway, day and night. I'm sure this will contribute to road safety.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Malbec wrote:It looks as if the EU will soon make us all drive with our headlights on all of the time anyway, day and night. I'm sure this will contribute to road safety.
Ugh! Then every f**ing Range Rover with have it's HID lights on in the day as well. Why can't they just make everyone have headlights that come on when it gets dark enough to warrant them? If they are on all the time, surely there will be more cars with blown bulbs on the road, so that their lights don't work properly when they actually need them. Doh! :head:

The "parking lights" on mine are controlled by putting the indicator on with the ignition off - it leaves one light on front and back. IIRC the usual term for the bumper lights is "running lights".

Cheers R.
Malbec

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Malbec »

Well I'm a paid up member of UKIP, but I feel a lot of vehicles dont use their headlights in dim lighting so I'm for this legislation.
The motorbike lobby are fighting it-----they say that less people will see them, since they are the ones ( in the main) that drive with their headlights on.
I dont follow their logic though.

It's another example of lowest common denominator, if people only thought about how hard it is for themselves to be seen in low light then we wouldnt have nanny telling us what to do.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Malbec wrote:The motorbike lobby are fighting it-----they say that less people will see them, since they are the ones ( in the main) that drive with their headlights on.
I dont follow their logic though.
Simple, they want exclusive rights to drive around with their high beams on all the time dressed as power rangers, undertaking and blaming anyone but themselves for the accidents they cause. Any legislation that makes them seem less dangerous to swooning unwashed biker chicks is shouted down. :|
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

...dressed as power rangers
SO TRUE :roflmao:
wwwwOOOff!!!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Malbec wrote:In many countries what we refer to as sidelights, they call Parking Lights.
Only my opinion, but if you think you need lights then headlights should be used.

Yes I agree. Just that the sidelights/parking lights on the Z3 at the front are next to useless IMO.
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

hello yes

Post by Mr Tim »

hi side light forget them get some Angel eyes of Ben WOW !!! facter

Mr T
Mr Tim

Z3 roadster 2.8

hello yes

Post by Mr Tim »

hi side light forget them get some Angel eyes of Ben WOW !!! facter

Mr T
///M Breadvan

M coupe S52

Re: hello yes

Post by ///M Breadvan »

Mr Tim wrote:hi side light forget them get some Angel eyes of Ben WOW !!! facter

Mr T
Ditto, they do look sweet.

I also have the Hyperwhite sidelight bulbs which are a little brighter but I think i am gonna disable them like C_W.

Is it Ok just to take the bulbs out?

cheers

D
paulg

Porsche

Post by paulg »

The EU should keep their big noses out. If you can't see a car during the day whether it's got lights on or not, you shouldn't be on the road!
Now we'll have boy racers with main lights on as well as fog lights when not required.
To get around those people who drive in dim conditions without lights, legislation for automatic light sensors could be introduced.
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: hello yes

Post by c_w »

///M Breadvan wrote:
Mr Tim wrote:hi side light forget them get some Angel eyes of Ben WOW !!! facter

Mr T
Ditto, they do look sweet.

I also have the Hyperwhite sidelight bulbs which are a little brighter but I think i am gonna disable them like C_W.

Is it Ok just to take the bulbs out?

cheers

D
Yea, just pulling the bulbs out will be fine.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I can think of a number of reasons why having low/dipped beam headlights on all the time would be a very BAD idea. Even in daylight, if you still get glare from the lights - worse still if the car is coming over the crest of a hill towards you - this limits what you can see round the car, as all you can see are the lights. The glare is also exacerbated if you were spectacles.

Having them hardwired on would also mean you can't turn them off - so if you pull in on the wrong side of the road, because the lights dip to one side, it means that oncoming drivers will be blinded almost as much as if you had them on high beam. (This is why my dad and I drop to sidelights when we play musical cars on his drive - it means you can see the gateposts more easily - we put them back on when it is our turn to move! :lol:)

I also find HID lights are very distracting even in bright daylight, whether they are coming towards you or behind you in your mirror.

Having sidelights hardwired on would be better. This would mean you would always have taillights on and something at the front as well.

What do Volvo's have? Are they sidelights, or dim dip? I have to say that they at least do not blind me during the day. One up to the Swedes!

Cheers R.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

As far as I remember, our Volvo has both sidelights & 'dim dip' running lights. Have been flashed before now by people who think you've left your headlights on, but not in recent years.

Usefully, if you turn off the ignition while the lights are on, it just puts the lights out instead of beeping manically at you - a much more sensible option IMO.

burmagirl

Sidelights

Post by Guest »

Before you remove your parking light bulbs and rely on angel eyes only, just try thinking - the angel eyes are not type-approved lights for a Z3 - they are cosmetic only, and cannot be seen very well from the side of the vehicle. If you persist in driving with only angel eyes there is a very real risk that someone will hit you and then claim that you were driving with insufficient lights for the conditions, and also possibly that you were using lights not legally type-approved for the car.

Although the original Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations of 1989 permit driving with parking lights only, in 30 mph zones during certain conditions, in today's climate of dipped beam hysteria it would be dificult to prove that such lights were sufficient for the conditions. Also - I'm sure that an amendment was made some years ago, requiring that if any lights are used on a moving vehicle, they MUST include dipped headlights. I have not been able to find such an amendment, but unless you fancy trying to convince your insurance company that your parking lights were adequate for the conditions, I would not take the chance.

Extra bulbs in the headlamp reflectors is a fine idea, but keep the original parking lights too, for their coverage to the sides - and only turn the headlights off if you are in such good conditions that you really don't need any lights at all.

Before the Little Englanders amongst us jump onto their usual 'blame the EU' bandwagon over hard-wired headlights, they should get their facts straight - this is being organised by the European car manufactrurers, as a trading point to avoid any government-sponsored rules which would cut their profit margins - it's the same with motorcycles, too. Hard-wired headlamps are cheaper to fit then propely-engineered extra-bright side marker lights as found on Volvos. Incidentally - Volvo had to obtain a special Type Approval for their extra-bright driving lights.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Um, aint the sidelights on a Z3 especially a wider bodied M used as "extremity markers" I.E. how to show the width of the car at night?
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!