Has anyone had this problem?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bob Hoskins

Z4 M roadster

Has anyone had this problem?

Post by Bob Hoskins »

I was out driving in the Zed (3.0) on Tuesday when I experienced a strange problem with the engine. I was driving up a familiar hill that allows me to really open up the engine. I went to maximum revs in 2nd gear then changed to 3rd and went close to maximum again.

The engine appeared to reach cutout on the rev counter and that is when the problem occurred. The engine then seemed to lose power and started sounding really rough, as if not firing on all cylinders. the loss of power continued as I "limped" home not wishing to cause any further problems.

When I got home I lifted the bonnet but could not see or hear anything untoward. I left the car overnight and took it out for a run again last night to see if the problem has got worse/better.

Here's the really strange thing, she ran perfectly with absolutely no sign of a problem.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before and does anybody have any idea what caused the engine problems I experienced?
Freezed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Freezed »

Sounds like the ignition cut-out stayed on in some sort of form:shock:
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Yup, I have had this problem. Unfortunately for me it was related to a aftermarket traction control kit, short story, i eventually had all my coils replaced as when the computer was put on the car at the garage it said coil pack 5 was failing. It eventually transpired that the old coil oacks were fine because the problem was still there with new coil packs fitted. I disconencted the traction control and this solved the problem.

When yours felt like it wasn't firing on all cylinders it should have saved the error code of what failed. If you take the car to a garage they can run the diagnostics and tell you where it went wrong. As Freezed said though, it sounds like you have hit the rev-limiter and the car has stayed in "limp home " mode. As with my problem above, when mine wasn't firing on all six, it was after being on the Aston Martin test track at Gaydon. First it felt like it was firing on only 5 and then later on, only 4. This was on my 100 mile journey home. I stopped to get fuel and suddenly it felt ok again. A change of coil packs and disconnecting the TC and never had a re-occurrence.

Tags
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Sorry Bob, but if you deliberately hit the limiter every time you change gear, you're going to get problems.

The limiter is there to protect the engine from driver mistakes, not as a signal for you to shift up.

Sounds like coils as mentioned, but the number of times you hit the limiter is (I believe) stored in the ECU and such severe and frequent thrashing could quite possibly trigger the 'just get home' safe mode.

A.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Coils as stated, but you should try not to rake the engine as much.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

my spanner man tells of one of his customers whose traction control went into "get home " mode, which he did slowly. The solution was to leave the car for a few hours and let it reset itself
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I have never had any issues with hitting the limiter, but I have had the throttle body fail and the ECU went into limp home mode.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority