LHD Z3 - Any thoughts...?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Crabbster

BMW other

LHD Z3 - Any thoughts...?

Post by Crabbster »

I've seen a couple on the market and having driven a lot in Europe I doin't see the problem for me personally driving one in UK.

Just wondered if there is anything I should be aware of? I realise they retail at a certain percentage below RHD in UK any ideas on this value?

Is it necessary to check country of origin etc for any dodgy dealings? If so, will usual HPi check cover this? etc, etc...

Rich
khushy

Porsche

My first M Roadster was LHD . . .

Post by khushy »

I bought it from a guy in Germany the week after they were launched in 1997 - www.mobile.de - the car was awesome and I saved about 10K + a 2 year waiting list.

Ordered it on a Wednesday and drove it home on Saturday - NICE!

No issues with it being serviced by a BMW dealer - all parts available - a fab car.

Buy a german owned vehicle - they LOVE their BM's!!!

Khushy
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

I drive my LHD Z3 in the UK and it's generally not too much of a problem. Some roundabouts require a bit of care as the 4 o'clock view isn't exactly the best in a Z3 (no rear passenger windows!!!), but again, you get used to adopting a more careful approach.

The only real problem are the local neds asking if I'm a Yank and how come the car is LHD with British plates ("is it stolen then big man" and how "much to take it off you"?) :P

Seriously, the only real problem will appear come re-sell time. It's not easy finding a British buyer for a LHD Z3 when RHD Z3s are not too far away in price. It took me a couple of months to sell my old LHD 1.9 here and I had to give a nice discount to the buyer too.

I would say if you do most of your driving in the UK then buy a RHD one, even if it's got a few more miles on it. They're not much more expensive and actually Z3s have not been selling too well at the moment, judging from what I see on autotrader and ebay, so you can haggle.

The only exception is if you are considering an LHD M-roadster. French and German buyers will fight over buying yours as the same car in Germany and France tends to be quite a bit dearer. As far as I'm aware, most of the LHD Ms are now probably out of the UK and back in the continent for this reason.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Straight_Six

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Straight_Six »

i dont know about z3's not selling well komis! at the moment im not quick enough to get one, everytime i go back to haggle a price and put a deposit down the car has been sold!

i remember looking around for prices last year and im sure they were approx £500 cheaper than this year's bunch, and with a greater spec! im finding it quite hard to view a z3 2.0ltr at the moment for £9k with anything other than a manual hood and traction control, with anything under 60k miles.

like i said im sure the prices have rose and the spec isnt as high! if only i was 21 last year! :cry:

Lee
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

You could well be right, I suppose my opinion comes from comparing prices of the 2.8 as they are of the most interest to me personally (that's what I drive).
I suppose with stricter emission regulations linked to road tax now and also with the current rises in petrol prices, lower capacity engines are becoming more popular than ever.

Also the 2.0 and 2.2 are rather a rare sight and possibly collectable now (just like 2.8 facelifts with the double VANOS), so finding the right one is probably a lot harder than getting a good 1.9 or 1.8 facelift....

Anyway good luck with both your quests for a Z, hopefully at least one of you will go for that special edition 2.0 so the car can be kept in the family, so to speak :) Lovely car by the way... just lovely...
wwwwOOOff!!!
Straight_Six

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Straight_Six »

you are correct komis, the 2.8 facelift is infact cheaper than a 2.0ltr because i would of thought of tax, petrol etc as you have said.

If money came a little easier, i would opt for a 2.8, but it is the increase in insurance and petrol which could make it ill offordable.

1.9 8v face lift is quite readily available with good spec! but after driving a 6cyl 320i i think i would really miss the sound of the Straight_Six :P

the special edition zed would be perfect for me, it would mean that i get to keep my E30 in my grandads garage and save it as a collectors item! and the car looks unberlievably good! but im afraid i maybe a little too late as a bloke is going round 2morrow morning to look at it (and i very much doubt he would go away without buying it).

so it looks like yet again ive missed the boat! (4th time now, maybe the z3 isnt meant to be?!)

Lee
Crabbster

BMW other

Post by Crabbster »

Looks like we're after the same motor Lee! I also drive an E30 and am looking for a 2.0 for under 10k. I'm not buying till summer though so just watching the market for now. I'm new to the idea of Z3 but can't wait to et hold of one. Summer can't come quickly enough for me!

Where have you been looking? I've been doing national searches and there are some very nice examples coming up. I've seen a couple advertised in Preston and Bolton near to you...look like v nice cars for the budget.

Good luck with the search anyway, post some photos when you get your car!

Richard
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

I would buy at the end of March at the absolute latest.... you will see the Zeds simply rocket in price after that! Maybe as much as 1k-1.5k

Best of luck
Crabbster

BMW other

Post by Crabbster »

smartypants wrote:I would buy at the end of March at the absolute latest.... you will see the Zeds simply rocket in price after that! Maybe as much as 1k-1.5k

Best of luck
Really? Bugger, cheers fo that...I had no idea the weather would have that much of an effect!

Richard
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Not a blanket rule for all.... as you will find plenty around who need to sell.

But I was looking around for about 2 years before I bought mine, and that's the trend I noticed. Just something to keep an eye out on :wink:
Straight_Six

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Straight_Six »

hiya crabbster,

what E30 do you own? did you ever post on the "www.e30zone.co.uk"?

to be honest mate ideally like smarty said either before or after the summer is the best time to invest in a z3, but from what i saw last summer there are plenty more z3's available than there is at the moment!

ill certainly post pics on here when i finally get my hands on it, after test driving a 2.0ltr the other day you will not be dissapointed! its a whole different world than the E30, where as the E30 is a comfortable, noise reduced stallion. The z3 is a fun ridden, 'grab me by the scruff of the neck' vehicle... like i said whole different world.

Lee