what do you think of this zed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
riano

Z3 roadster 2.8

what do you think of this zed

Post by riano »

its an import from california-saw it on ebay about a year ago and really liked it and now its up for sale again through a dealership. are LHD cars a good idea, aside from the problems with the likes of drive throughs etc?

dealer has told me its not in perfect condition and that the hood has seen better days but its the cheapest zed auto about and maybe the only ill be able to afford by the time my insurance money eventually comes through :shock:
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Most trouble I had driving my LHD Z3 in the UK was a couple of neds asking if I was American :)

As much as I like my LHD cars, I wouldn't buy that one. If you're really after a 1.9, there's a nicer RHD on Autotrader, with hardtop and less miles, for only 300 more than the one you're looking for. Even if you don't care about the hardtop, sell it for a good £600-800 and another £200 for the fitting kit and you will have a better car for less money.

I think if you're prepared to spend 5K on a car, surely you can conjure up another 500-600, so don't rule slightly more expensive cars out. It's always better to get a car that feels right from the moment you see it and not the "cheapest", as you will end up spending that much money to fix it up anyway.
wwwwOOOff!!!
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

If it was a european spec z3 I wouldn't worry, but being an American version are you sure it complies with all european legislation regarding lights etc. I guess that it has a different steering wheel to house an American airbag.
How will your insurance company view it? I suspect that the emission system is different to a European version.
The hood is also an expensive item to require replacement.

Les
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

I like the Z3 badges below the gills even if they are a bit bling.

Dave L

Dav the wheel nut
riano

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by riano »

wow i never even noticed the zed with the hardtop!!!it doesnt come up when you search for auto in the transmission box!it looks nice and is my fav colour, just like my old one!thanks man im gonna try and go for it!
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

bit too much chrome going on there for my tastes, but if you like it, thats all that matters.

as for the price range, if its all you can afford, then go for it. but i would advise you to maybe wait a bit and save more cash up. maybe try and get one with roll bars? models pre 97 cant be retrofitted with bars, iirc. although its not nice to think about the worst case scenario, it pays to be prepared

good luck in any case riano1, and whatever you decide on, i hope you enjoy it :D
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
senna

Z1 roadster

Why bother?

Post by senna »

First: why bother with such an early car, with the smallest engine and mated to an auto box?
Second: if they only made them as a LHD then may be, but since you can buy a Z3 as RHD then you should buy it as RHD.

I find drivers of LHD cars (eg 911s) constantly trying to prove that they are not tight.
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Hi riano1

If it's a american car the main problem is surely light. I know because I can't order any europeen' parts. The lights and fitting arent different.

Cloz
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

I would have replied to Senna's post saying something like "it depends on why you bought it LHD in the first place, maybe you just happen to own a villa abroad", but then I'd be falling into the very trap of trying to prove I'm not tight :D :D :D :D

TIGHT IS RIGHT baby, plants grow out of the earth when you pour water, villas when you pour some cashhhh :)

Oh and by the way I fixed the PDC on my 3er this weekend all by myself, in an amazing display of my technical capabilities I managed to save yet a bit more dosh :D :D :D :D That's another 2 bricks for that villa then :P
wwwwOOOff!!!
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Ryan,

You may think this is pedantic.

It looks like a really nice car but surely it is easier to learn to drive a manual car than an LHD auto?

There is usually a lot more choice in the manual version.

I adore the Z1 but am put off by LHD. I have always driven a manual car but the thought of LHD in comparison freaks me out :shock:

Cheers P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Wouldn't touch it with a 20 ft barge pole, sorry. Besides the comments about LHD which for me is an instant no-no on a car that is readily available in RHD, it looks like it has suffered a fair amount of chavving up, and the interior mats look disgusting. I can't see the state of the roof from the photos, but I'm not sure I'd like a pale roof - very difficult to keep clean. :(

After all those negatives, the one plus is the colour. :wink:

Keep looking. It is definitely worth holding out for the right car. Don't compromise - you'll regret it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
iball

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by iball »

Don't forget you may well find it harder to sell when it comes time to get a new car.
road2ruin

Not specified

Post by road2ruin »

Without meaning to be flippant but have you ever tried overtaking a large vehicle in a LHD on British roads? I drove one for the first time to see how much difference having a LHD would be.....not an experience I'd particularly like to repeat....
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Looks horrendous IMO regardless of the wrong hand drive.
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

riano1 wrote:wow i never even noticed the zed with the hardtop!!!it doesnt come up when you search for auto in the transmission box!it looks nice and is my fav colour, just like my old one!thanks man im gonna try and go for it!
Good luck with that, but if it fails, Nick on here is selling a 1.9 that is in fantastic condition.
John Boy
2.8 Z3
sundaydriver

BMW other

Post by sundaydriver »

Got a feeling it will give you more grief than it's worth.
Cheers,
sundaydriver.