How to tell between 8 and 16v on a 1.9

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zee3PO

BMW other

How to tell between 8 and 16v on a 1.9

Post by Zee3PO »

Well, as the title suggests really. I think in BMW speak the 8v was badged as a 1.8 (is this right?) But on autotrader everyone with either just puts 1.9, I know what DOHC looks like but I want to know before I go if they dont put an engine shot. Any differences I should look for?

Also what stuff wasnt standard on the 1.9 that I should really try and get? IE leather, leccy hood etc?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think in the UK the 8v engine was only put in post-facelift cars and the 16v engine in pre-facelift cars. So if the build date (printed on a sticker on one of the front suspension struts) is before 04/99 then it almost certainly a 16v.

The two engines have the same displacement - 1896cc - but the M44 16v is normally badged 1.9 and the M43 8v as 1.8. I say badged - the 1.9s didn't have an engine size badge on the rear.

AFAIK the basic spec of both cars was cloth seats, so leather would have to have been specified as an option or retrofitted. Ditto for the leccy hood and aircon.

Standard equipment included alarm, ASC/DSC, airbag(s) and a basic stereo. On some cars you may find an ///M steering wheel and gearknob - these may be options or as was my case on 1.9s just before the facelift they were standard equipment. The later 1.9s also got the chromeline interior - round the dials, the door handles, headlight switch, ashtray thumb piece etc.

Interestingly the 1.9s had front foglights as standard, but the 1.8s didn't.

As part of the facelift, the 1.8 got the lined softtop, whereas the 1.9s don't have this.

That's all I can think of at the minute.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

BMW can help you confirm the engine type (ie: 1.8 or 1.9) by giving them the original registration number or chassis number of said vehicle. They can then bring up all the details they have on it, including the engine details.

I did this over the phone to confirm that the first zed i was after could be retrofitted for roll over bars and only took a few minutes.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Or you can type your VIN into realOEM.com

M43 is the 8v engine, M44 is the 16v one.
wwwwOOOff!!!