Double Vanos on 2.8

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Double Vanos on 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Touching on a point I raised in my post about Haynes manuals, I am seeking advice from those who know about these things in relation to single/double Vanos.

I know there was some discussion about this some months ago, and I believe somebody posted details of a site where you could enter your VIN number to come up with the precise specification of your car.

This is my question: Both books I have about the Z3 (one is 'The Complete Story' by Mick Walker and the other something with a similar title that I can't lay my hands on just now) are both quite specific in saying that double Vanos was introduced with the facelift models in around September 1999.

However, when I took deliver of my 2.8 in April 1999 (built March 1999), the salesman at Sytners (Sheffield) was equally categoric that BMW had already started putting double Vanos in the later of the pre-facelift models, and that my vehicle had it.

To be honest (I'm completely non-technical), I wouldn't know whether it has or it hasn't, but I'm just interested to know once and for all. Can you visually tell the difference?
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Graham, if your engine looks like this then you have double vanos. Sorry.I don't have a photo of a single vanos but it will have a curved inlet manifold as opposed to this relatively straight one. Hope this helps. The car is "W" reg 2000, made in Nov 1999. ( and now owned by someone else :shock: )
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!

Vanos

Post by Guest »

It doesn't give one much faith in the accuracy of these books, does it?

My 2.8 was built in October 1998 and has double VANOS. The M52TU engine being introduced for the 1998 model year, which began in September 1998.

The books have lots of pics showing single VANOS.
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Thanks for the pic, Andy. Yes, mine looks exactly the same as that and, I'm pleased to say, my engine bay looks just as clean as yours after spending a couple of days fettling the car last week. It's amazing what you can do when you're retired!

If I manage to do it correctly, I'll be attaching my own pic with this.

I couldn't agree more with you Mike. By the way, I'm off back to France in the Zed on Monday, but unfortunately won't be anywhere near Daglan this time. We're going to our more usual haunt in Normandy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

Yes that's nice and clean, Graham, but your grass needs cutting before you go to France. :P Please don't do like my retired neighbours though, leave it until 7.30 on a still, warm evening :head: Have a great time over the water.
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Don't worry - I've got the wife lined up to cut it tomorrow morning.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

All these clean engines, I feel ashamed, don't you guys use you Zs :shock:
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

10 minutes with a rag and copious doses of WD40 and engines come up a treat. Although Mike Fishwick is a bit OCD with the wire wool :P :wink:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Lovely shiney engine bays,.....I need to clean my own now looking at that. It's normally very clean, but after being away round bits of Ireland all week it needs a good once over again. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Post by AndyBass »

That piccie was taken when I advertised zeddie in Autotrader, though it did look pretty much like that, just not as shiney.