Accelerator cable

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bobz3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Accelerator cable

Post by bobz3 »

Does anyone have any good DIY instructions for removing an oiling the accelerator cable, my pedal is a bit stiff and it is driving me nuts. I had a look for myself but jeese there is alot under the bonnet.

I have a 2.0 litre Z3 on a 2000 V plate.

Thanks.
w666est

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w666est »

i have exactly the same problem AND car.. please help us!! :)
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Try this thread. I did this last summer and so far so good.
ImageImage
bobz3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bobz3 »

Thanks for that Dave, I was tackling this from the wrong end. it might be easier to disconnect and oil at the pedals.
bobz3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bobz3 »

Well i finially did it, I reoiled my accelerator cable today. The car is like a new car, it feels quicker mainly because it takes less effort to press the pedal.

Please note that I only unhooked it at one end and I never unhooked it from the throttle body.

Here is how I did it.

1. Remove cover above pedals, 2 clips.
2. Unhook the cable from the pedal linkage, I used a screw driver to apply leverage to pop it out. Knowing how hard it was to pop out I was not looking forward to putting it back in.
3. You need to contort yourself to look up to see where the cable comes in to the footwell from the engine bay. There is a grey plastic block with the cable running through it, you need to push in or carefully squeeze each side and push it through.
4. Under the bonnet you need to lift up one of the seals where the cable passes under, you should see that the plastic part underneath unclips and lifts up slightly. Just enough to lift the cable and rubber gromet out.
5. Now carefully you need to unclip the cable from the retaining clips.
6. Once I had uncliped the cable from the clips I used the hook to hang it from the bonnet catch, hanging like a hospital drip.
7. I then started to drip some 3 in 1 multipurpose oil (needs to be thin) in to the opening of the cable just below the hook. I added some then tried working the cable to see if it loosened off then I added more and so on.
8. Once you are happy with the cable, remove any excess oil by letting the cable hang out from the front of the engine bay and drip on to some cardboard or and oily rag.
9. Refitting is the reverse of removal, avoid bending the cable too hard and take your time.
10. Refitting the hook to the throttle linkage can be frustrating but hang in there you will get it eventually.

Only tackle this if you are technically adept to working on cars, I accept no responsibility for any problems encountered this is done at your own risk.
chrig

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by chrig »

Thanks for the indepth run-down bob, need to do this myself!
jonconrod

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Accelerator cable

Post by jonconrod »

Why did'nt I think of doing it that way!!! I've been trying to get the cable off at the TB end but could see it was going to be tricky.
Thanks for the alternative strategy.
Regards Jon
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re:

Post by gookah »

bobz3 wrote:Only tackle this if you are technically adept to working on cars, I accept no responsibility for any problems encountered this is done at your own risk.

Wow.... A small print disclaimer. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Can anyone advise how the throttle cable is attached to the throttle body? I am replacing my cable now, I have it replaced through the bulk head and all the way back to the throttle itself.

With the throttle open fully I can see the ball at the end of the cable in the plastic throttle housing, however what I can't understand is how it detaches (and the new one attaches)

Is the ball "behind" the slot or is it "pushed in" the slot like a ball joint? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting but I can't get it to detach (this is on a 2.0l)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... only ever replaced one on a 2.8...that had a little metal barrel shaped item on the end which slotted itnto a reciprocal housing on the throttle body... I recall pulling the sprung throttle lever, and holding it whilst I detached the cable / barrel out of the slot. The cable ran between two metal flanges to keep it in normal working position, and it needed to be removed from the groove between those flanges so that the barrel could then be extracted... Backwards of that, there was the plastic adjustment screw etc which fits into it's own housing on the throttle body... I'm fairly certain it would be a similar set-up for any throttle cable... ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers... I managed to get a small mirror behind it when the throttle was open fully. Basically the little ball slots in a grove all the way around and then it the bottm of the groove when the throttle is open all the way is the hole that allows the ball to fit through. Using a screw driver to push down on the ball through the slot I was able to pop the ball out. The new one then fits in from below in reverse - throttle cable now nice and tight, a slight tough of the pedal makes it rev - finally should be a lot better to drive.

Was an easy job for anyone thinking of doing it - If I hadnt got stuck on the ball end then I reckon 20 mins tops
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal