Just Joined - hello

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ajc

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Just Joined - hello

Post by ajc »

Have owned a 2002 2.2i ( steel grey with black interior ) for just over 2 years now, but have only recently discovered this website.
Never had a sports car before this one, but now the "kids" are long gone, ( in theory anyway !) I thought it was the time to buy something for me for a change !
Bought it from the local dealership, can't say I've been over impressed with the service received in the past so I don't bother with them anymore.
Car has been fine, only now about 43k on the clock, I guess I do about 8k with the Z3 a year, as I've a Golf to do the winter mileage up and down from Gloucester to Bristol on a daily basis.
Had to buy a new battery at the weekend, cost £69. Only other issue apart from complete brakes overhaul about 12 months ago, was having the infamous boot respray due to rust appearing around the lock. At least this was a warranty job.
Anyway, hope to contribute if I can from time to time.
Cheers.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum ajc :wink:

Post some pics of your car, cant see enough of Zeds here :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Welcome Ajc. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Welcome to the forum AJC,

You have a zed in the very best colour 8-) ......... but perhaps I am a little biased. :wink: :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi ajc and welcome to the forum I'm still a relatively newcomer but have found it very useful.

Now for the request and a chance to contribute: my circumstances appear to be similar to yours (no withdrawals from the bank of mum and dad for over a year and even some credits!). We had a Z3 that was traded in for a Z4 last year that is my wife's daily commuting vehicle. There is another thread "2.2 or 2.8?" (will have to learn how to link across) as I am looking for a Z3 as my toy / part time commuting vehicle. Do you have any feedback on how you have found the 2.2? Economy? Performance?
ajc

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ajc »

Hi Zed carer
To answer your questions about economy and performance.I've not really taken too much of an interest in the economy, although I should with the costs, but I guess at a steady speed I'm getting low to mid thirties. Of course when you put your foot down, well that's another story -probably lucky to get late twenties.
To be fair, an awful lot of my mileage is motorway, and I do tend to use the road , otherwise what's the point ?( six at the moment to be exact !!)
Performance is quite good. I've not driven the 2.8 but have read some interesting comments from 2.8 owners on this site .Depending upon opinions, some say that there's not much difference. Acceleration from standing is ok although I must admit that initially I was a little disappointed, but I'm used to it now. As you go through the gears it gets better and better. To be honest how fast is enough? With all the cameras around there has to be some caution. Not that I'm advocating breaking the law of course.
For me, its having the roof down and enjoying the experience of the whole thing.
Sorry I can't be more definite or technical, but for me it's all about having fun.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

I have kept my 2.2 as a daily driver.

It is has plenty of oomph power wise at high revs but you do then use more petrol :wink: I get about 22-25mpg with spirited driving :wink:

In terms of petrol consumption there is little difference between the 2.2 and the 2.8 and I think the servicing costs are pretty similar.

Currently you may have to pay increased VED on some of the 2.2s as it is a newer model than the 2.8. (Some 2.2s may be registered after March 2001)

I keep my M for playing in and it certainly comes in 'handy' on some of the ZR cruises, although my 2.2 certainly is no slouch.

Cheers P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

Hi ajc.
welcome to the site, hope to see you out at some of the meets n runs, got any pics???
shabsbmw

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by shabsbmw »

Hi there and welcome to the forum....

Shabs.... :wink:
Magnetic force
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

welcome aboard,youll find plenty of help here
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Oooh, another steel grey! Piccies please! :D

I love the colour - and it is quite unusual for a zed - you wouldn't have been round Luton in September last year would you - I spotted an SG zed there then, but wasn't near enough to read the reg or wave.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

ajc wrote
For me, its having the roof down and enjoying the experience of the whole thing.
Having had the Z3 for over 6 years I know exactly what you mean and although the Z4 is very good I do miss the Z3.

whiteminks wrote
It is has plenty of oomph power wise at high revs but you do then use more petrol
But isn't it always the case that pleasure usually costs - in one way or another.

Could be a difficult weekend coming the 2.2 in South Wales, or the 2.8 in Hampshire both a fair way from Yorkshire - could do a one Zed 2/3 day cruise. Anyway thanks to all who have taken the time out to provide advice, experiences and opinions - just have to hope that I can find the "one".
ajc

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ajc »

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.
When I can work out how to put some pictures on a page I'll do it but I must confess to being a bit of a luddite.
Answer to Robert T - sorry, wasn't me !!