A little clock has appeared on the service lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ackers

Z4 roadster 3.0i

A little clock has appeared on the service lights

Post by Ackers »

Does anyone know what the little clock just above the service indicator lights on the dashboard means. It popped up on mine a day or so ago. No apparent problems anywhere else as all other warning signs are off.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Brake fluid change required.

No problem. Just wait until your service and get it done then.

Conor
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Ackers

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ackers »

thanks, the next service is a way off, so i may pop in and get it done sooner rather than later
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

It doesn't mean anything is wrong with your car so there really is no rush. It's simply done on a time basis - brake fluid is supposed to be replaced every few years as it starts to absorb moisture from the air over time and loses some of it's performance.

Don't worry - your brakes won't suddenly fail or go bad. Just wait until next service and make sure they include it.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
atarijagman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by atarijagman »

I just had the little clock appear on my Z3 and wondered what it meant.
Nothing serious by the sounds of it.

Richard.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Isn't it for both Brake Fluid and Coolant replacement? either way I think you can wait safely til next service.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

yes bim, this has cropped up on my Z now, for both. Not major issues, however together they cost about £300 to have done at a dealership.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition

Read About It!

Post by Guest »

Have a look in the Owners Handbook, which is full of interesting information, including this one. You don't have one? Go and buy one - you won't regret it.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Read About It!

Post by mich »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Have a look in the Owners Handbook, which is full of interesting information, including this one. You don't have one? Go and buy one - you won't regret it.
:D Ha Ha, You made my day Mike, :D I wonder at times why manufactures bother with Owners Handbooks, :D it is amazing what you can find in them :rtm: :rtm: :D :D
Ackers

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ackers »

good to see sarcasm isn't dead.
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Spot on, Mike and Mich!

For the record (and this is without even referring to my owner's handbook), I believe it's every two years for brake fluid, every three years for coolant.
freelandm

M roadster S50

Post by freelandm »

SpunkyM wrote:It doesn't mean anything is wrong with your car so there really is no rush. It's simply done on a time basis - brake fluid is supposed to be replaced every few years as it starts to absorb moisture from the air over time and loses some of it's performance.

Don't worry - your brakes won't suddenly fail or go bad. Just wait until next service and make sure they include it.
I think you will find that heat is the major problem to brake fluid.. It's hydroscopic also but the heat is the main problem..

Sorry for being anal and please do correct me if i am talking OOMA anyone.

Matt.

Heat

Post by Guest »

It's the moisture being absorbed into the fluid which is the basic problem, then the heat - as the fluid is heated to 100 degrees C the moisture, which has been absorbed into the fluid, seperates and boils, so forming compressible bubbles of steam which reduce the line pressure.

It's a real problem for those who do not replace their pads unti lthe warning lamp comes on, as the pads are then so thin they cannot absorb much heat, and pass it on into the piston, and then the fluid.