Question: Are the Head Lights interchangeable between Models

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
summerhillie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Question: Are the Head Lights interchangeable between Models

Post by summerhillie »

I have a 2000 Z3, 2.8, left hand drive and have a chance at a set of right hand drive lights and was wondering if they are interchangeable. Reason for change would be for National Car Test and to do away with the light benders.
Thanks.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I think you can change them from LHD to RHD by flicking a switch. It's in the manual. :rtm:
Last edited by estocks on Mon 05 May, 2008 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

yes they are bud
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Check the details on www.realoem.com

Enter your car details and then for the same year/engine but RHD
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

estocks, i seriously hope you're joking because if what you say is true, i will be left feeling like a complete :dunce:!!! Care to elaborate on where you saw that exactly, because my manual doesn't say anything like that at all... actually i think this is not possible at all in the Z3, one has to replace the entire unit...
wwwwOOOff!!!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

komis wrote:estocks, i seriously hope you're joking because if what you say is true, i will be left feeling like a complete :dunce:!!! Care to elaborate on where you saw that exactly, because my manual doesn't say anything like that at all... actually i think this is not possible at all in the Z3, one has to replace the entire unit...
I'm sure I saw note of that in the manual, but that may be wrong.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.

Switch

Post by Guest »

Yes - the headlamps are interchangable, but later dip bulbs are H7 rather than HB4.

There is no 'Little switch' - I wish there were, as I had to buy new RH dipping lights when registering le Red Zed in France!

The answer is to stick blanking pieces in the appropriate places on the headlamp covers, which prevent others from being dazzled, but loses the dip beam from the driver's point of view.

It's spelt out in the TIS CD, and with the official kit, which can be bought from BMW.

I have used PVC insulation tape for years, cleaning off any adhesive left behind after use with Rain-X, which is basically alcohol. That's the important thing - not to use any hydrocarbon solvent, as it will turn the polycarbonate covers milky.

So - you have to buy new light units, unless you cxan get a pair of dipped beam lenses frm old headlamps with damaged covers etc. The Z3 is about the only BMW for which seperate lenses are not available.
summerhillie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by summerhillie »

Thanks for all the responses!
Frank
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I've heard of, but never seen, H7 dipped lights, they've all been HB4 (or is it 3??) that I've known. I had a brand new set of chrome ringed headlights that have the same part number from 99-02 and they were HB3/HB4.

There are a few variations of headlights (can get orange or clear indicators, chrome ringed lamps or no chrome, some have side light bulbs within the main beam lamp etc) but as said above they all fit the same.