Quad Exhaust conversion

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Quad Exhaust conversion

Post by MaxZ3 »

I know some people frown upon this kinda thing but i couldn't help myself, i always felt like the symmetry on the back of my Z was off.
I had holes in my original pipe and it sounded like a crying cat when i put my foot down...
So here's the replacement!

Basically its 2 dual silencers at the back, the same as the M except it Ys off just after the reasonator after the Cat....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

I think it looks good (probably sounds great too!) 8-)

Nice neat cut-out on the bumper - did you do that yourself? Presumably you've had to remove the spare wheel & carrier?
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

myredzed wrote:I think it looks good (probably sounds great too!) 8-)

Nice & neat cut-out on the bumper - did you do that yourself? Presumably you've had to remove the spare wheel & carrier?
Ya i cut the bumper myself because i could afford to spend a couple of hours measuring out and making templates! Didn't want the shop rushing the cut and me not being happy with it!

Ya wheel carrier is gone, but I have 18" run flats so i figure a tube of emergency tire sealant inflator and an AA helpline number handy......happy days!!

Sounds beautiful! I think it because there are 2 silencers resonating at 2 slightly different frequencies to one another, but it sounds so much nicer than other uprated stainless steel pipes I've heard on other Zs!
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

hi, how much did you pay and where you go to get it done?? cheers
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

cosmosblack wrote:hi, how much did you pay and where you go to get it done?? cheers
I paid €400 for the job, it took about 8 labour hours in total to get it perfect and aligned etc.

I'll have more pics of the underside soon because it'll be up on a lift for some refinements of allignment etc.

Got it done with a BMW independent fella i know locally in Cork, Ireland. So don't think thats much use to ye UK lads....
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Hi Max

Looking good. :P

Conor
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

///M_aniac wrote:Hi Max

Looking good. :P

Conor
Cheers Conor!

Anymore on that meet in south dublin??
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Just back from Portugal mate. Been flat out catching up with stuff. It is still going ahead. Keep an eye on here and the irish Zed forum.

You coming?
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

looks great very nice indeed,will you have to pay any extra on your insurance for that
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

321bhp wrote:looks great very nice indeed,will you have to pay any extra on your insurance for that
They don't seem to mind, i asked them when i renewed my policy just this week.

Think its different in Ireland than the UK anyway, insurers seem to whack on £100 for fluffy dices over with ye...
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Looking good, I think it transforms the backend totally and they look great against the black bodywork :D

I had the same think done two year ago but it cost double the price you paid and I had to remove the spare wheel carrier :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Stainless Exhaust M style
Remap (Chipped uk )
Gruppe m rep induction kit
Angel Eyes (Chromeline Design)
Strong Strut Front & Rear
White lenses, side repeaters etc
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Fixer wrote:Looking good, I think it transforms the backend totally and they look great against the black bodywork :D

I had the same think done two year ago but it cost double the price you paid and I had to remove the spare wheel carrier :(
Looks good. and very familiar, thats what I have on the underside too, had to remove part of the battery well too....My battery sat higher in the well after so I've had to use a small dry cell racing battery turned on its side to get the carpet not to stick up!

Well worth it though!

Car is a beauty, same goes for yours!

I'll get pics of the underside soon and post em up.

Cheers!
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

I had the same thing with the battery but I still use the original, it sticks up about 30mm so I cut the carpet and used a battery lid form the breakers yard,
I cant get over the price you paid man, the cat cost me £400 :(

I did buy the M battery box and tool tray but I never got round to fitting it, one day maybe :wink:

The system I have now was the second attempt, the first was so loud I used to coast down hill, I’ve got used to the sound now and I love it.
I guarantee if you want someone’s attention just floor it and watch.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

If anyone is thinking of doing this mod on a 2.8 I had to change the single down pipe for 2 pipes and 2 cats, the single cat attempt droned that bad you could only drive it for 5 mins and then I needed 6 Paracetamol

This is the front pipe I ended up using.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I like the look, nice work :)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Why nobody having headers :?:
I would think a better sound and gain of power.

Cloz
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Why nobody having headers
Well for me the answer is easy and that is the cost of everything in the UK is sky high.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Fixer wrote:I had the same thing with the battery but I still use the original, it sticks up about 30mm so I cut the carpet and used a battery lid form the breakers yard,
I cant get over the price you paid man, the cat cost me £400 :(

I did buy the M battery box and tool tray but I never got round to fitting it, one day maybe :wink:

The system I have now was the second attempt, the first was so loud I used to coast down hill, I’ve got used to the sound now and I love it.
I guarantee if you want someone’s attention just floor it and watch.
I'm finding mine very droney at the minute with the 2 stainless steel mufflers...

I have 2 oem mufflers waiting to go in, shop said they'd do it for free as I played up the drone noise and told them it was painful after they assured me it would just be nice and sporty...

You think that with the same Y setup as yours from the Cat back like this will sound droney?:

Cat---resonator---Y pipe---- two Oem silencers...

I mean surely its the straight through mufflers that causes the drone noise because its too free flowing??

Prices in ireland are SKY high also, the shop i had mine done at is one in a million price wise, and i also know the mech so its reasonably priced....

You could have saved the carpet and got a dry cell battery and lie it on its side!! Oh well I guess you've made the best of an annoying situation... and plus dry cells are about £170!

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the Oem mufflers.

Cheers!
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Not sure about the OEM mufflers but I would have thought they have to be better than the stainless.

I was told it’s the Y section that causes the drone and a lot depends on how it’s made, you could test it by blocking on pipe off and go for a run and see if it disappears, don’t thrash it just nice and steady, It worked for me and that’s when I decided to fit the twin front pipe and do away with the Y section, I now have 2 cats then 2 pipes going down the center one to each muffler, it’s still loud but it sounds like a high performance car now but with no drone.
I did think about fitting a set of M back boxes to try and muffle it a bit but I like it the way it is now.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Sounds like a very sweet setup though! The cats really did make it more expensive than you would have hoped which was a bummer..

Went for a spin there with spuds stuck in the right muffler,

droning was gone a lot, but still quite loud and slightly droney but WAY less than I am used to.......

Hmmm I am very anxious to hear it with 2 OEMs and the Y intact, that'll tell us whether its the mufflers or simply the Y that causes the loudness!

I'm pretty sure it is from the potato test though :?
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

If you have the mufflers and they agree to fit them for free then just go for it and lets see if it makes a difference, it’s a free test you need to try :D Take a potato this time :lol:

This is mine before and after.
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think the quad setup suits the car and looks original if done correctly as both of yours are :D .

Max, all you need now are some chrome tips
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

garythefish wrote:I think the quad setup suits the car and looks original if done correctly as both of yours are :D .

Max, all you need now are some chrome tips
I'll probably go chrome when i put on the 2 oem mufflers in the coming week, just waiting on delivery on them.

Any chance of some closeups of the M pipes exiting by the valance??

Also what diameter are they?? I suspect about 63mm of around 2.5 inches??

Anyone able to chime in with the pics or the diameter of each round pipe tip??

Cheers guys!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I have Prospeed on mine with 76mm pipes
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I wouldn't get chrome tips as it doesn't look as good as stainless and will rust eventually.

What I did with my 2.8 was pull off the original chrome covers, cut back the two pipes as far back as the valve/flap and then welded on two larger stainless pipes over.
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Well polished stainless / chrome = tomato / tomato

It'll be polished steel for sure but it probably looks to most as though its chrome so i think the general colour is all that needs be taken from the suggestion!!

76mm! Thats enormous judging by the fact that mine are 63mm and bigger would probably dwarf / over power the rear end a bit.

I'll compare a few pipes when the car is up on the ramp anyway...

OEM pipes x 2 came via courier this morning so i'll keep you posted on how it goes fixer...

I hope I'm happy with the noise level with the oems without having to split the pipes at the header.....

watch this space!!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The reason for my chrome tip suggestion was to hide the 'sawn end' look and provide a nice round edge to finish the pipe. Maybe a little time with a file will produce the same finish
Gazza

ImageImage
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

OEM pipes x 2 came via courier this morning
Pipes or mufflers?
Good luck
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Fixer wrote:
OEM pipes x 2 came via courier this morning
Pipes or mufflers?
Good luck
Sorry my bad, mufflers came today....

They have a single tip though so gonna have to be a little chop chop in the shop to make 1 magically turn into 2.....

They'll be done by tues...........
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

You might be lucky and get away with a simple hole cutter.
I’m looking forward to the out come :D
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

I don't think a hole can just be cut in the oems because there are several chambers reversing the flow in the muffler to dampen the sound so cutting a hole might create more noise than ever before!!

Might have to resort to 1 dummp tip just welded onto the muffler matching the actual working tip.......all in the name of quiet motoring!!
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Might have to resort to 1 dummp tip just welded onto the muffler matching the actual working tip.......all in the name of quiet motoring!!
Well that would do it if they line up with the cut-outs in the valance
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

sorry i meant to type "dummy tip"

Well it shouldn't be a problem to line it up with the valance, just means we might have to bend the 2 y pipes in the rear a bit just before the mufflers to fit....

If that still ends up giving a horrid drone which i hope it doesn't..... i may just weld up the right y at the source and have one dummy muffler until i figure out how to kill the boy racer GGGGGGGUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAA.....

Hopefully it'll be hush hush given the weight of the 2 oems, must be all that dampening goodness!! Fingers crossed!

Silence

Post by Guest »

I'm thinking about fitting a silencer from the 2.5 litre E46 - it looks possible, but when daughter comes down this summer I'll take some detailed measurements from her coupe.

The E46 pipe is 65 mm as distinct fmr the 60 mm of the Z3, but if the boxy shape of the silencer wil lfit, I'll give it a go.

Silence, as they say, is golden - noise is for the immature and the deaf!
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Silence

Post by MaxZ3 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I'm thinking about fitting a silencer from the 2.5 litre E46 - it looks possible, but when daughter comes down this summer I'll take some detailed measurements from her coupe.

The E46 pipe is 65 mm as distinct fmr the 60 mm of the Z3, but if the boxy shape of the silencer wil lfit, I'll give it a go.

Silence, as they say, is golden - noise is for the immature and the deaf!
The e36 compact 1.6i has a very neat little muffler on it would fit ours nicely short of dual tips though....

Silence is golden, put the hardtop back on today......oh baby the calm of quiet........
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Silence is golden :D
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Fixer wrote:Silence is golden :D
I fly helis too!!

Another thing we have in common!!

I've 3 electric T-rex, a raptor and a few planes too!
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

I bet that sounds louder than any fart cannons there are polluting the streets!!!
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Hey it sounds great but its up for sale on BMFA right now, I love flying it but hate the repair costs,
I converted a Raptor 90se last year into gas and I’ve just done a Rex 600 gas conversion with a Zenoah 20cc.
The next will be a 700 when it comes.
Do you take the helies in the Zed?
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

I'd say those choppers are vastly expensive to keep in parts, unless you don't crash them!! Thats where my problem lies, I have on average a crash week with the electrics, so i'm sticking to the small ones for the relative inexpense of them...

I used to fly some bigger models like Futura SEs and Xcells but got sick of the cost..

I don't take them in the Z, I take the family renault for that...

Although a modified ski or bicycle rack on the Z with the helis and the hardtop would look pretty mean!!

Back on topic for a moment I drove a friends 2002 1.9i yesterday and my god i can tell you the difference in noise level is staggering!!

Not only that but the loss of low end torque / gain in engine flow and noise is NOT worth it for my usage at least!

Cannot wait to go back to near stock sound on Tues! Darn bank holiday monday!!
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Nice Choppers :)
Cannot wait to go back to near stock sound on Tues! Darn bank holiday monday!!
I'm also looking forward to the result; if it works I will probably fit two Z/M boxes, that’s if I don’t need a bank loan to pay for them :D
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Ah sher they're only little fiddly gimmicks compared to your beasts!! :oops:

I'm also looking forward to the result; if it works I will probably fit two Z/M boxes, that’s if I don’t need a bank loan to pay for them :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-M-Roadster ... 18Q2el1247

Keep an eye on these. I'll let you know the second I have em done one tues.. Plus a few Pics.....
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Silence

Post by Justin Time »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Silence, as they say, is golden - noise is for the immature and the deaf!
I agree, too much noise (example: aftermarket exhausts usually found on modified vauxhall corsa's/chavelier's) is for the immature and deaf, but a good happy medium is what you should aim for.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

Thanks for the link Max but ouch, how much, I think if that’s the going rate I will be looking at other options.
Cheers
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Finally today the new back box mufflers went in!

Blissfully quiet!! Like Original...

I can hear the engine instead of the exhaust now!!

Right here are the pics...

Setup is 2 X OEM 1.9 mufflers, tip cut off and double tips welded on.. (1 into 2 adapters)

Resonator is facing down instead of off to the left and a Y join is welded between the 2 back boxes.. Exactly like Fixers except OEM resonator....

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

MaxZ3 wrote:Well polished stainless / chrome = tomato / tomato

It'll be polished steel for sure but it probably looks to most as though its chrome so i think the general colour is all that needs be taken from the suggestion!!
I'm not sure, to me chrome shouts cheap tat and stainless looks like quality.
Fixer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fixer »

That’s good news; I was hoping it would do the trick, so now we know all these performance mufflers are just tin cans with wire wool inside :(

Long Life charged me well over a grand for the 2.8 system and didn’t even give me any free ear muffs.

Looking good
Mods
AC Body Kit
M50 Manifold & BBTB Kit
Remap (Chipped uk )
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Max, sorry to say this but in the 4th photo one can clearly see the road through your exhaust tips. Whoever did this for you clearly didn't use a 1to2 adaptor but just welded the tips right on the stub of the original oval tip.

Maybe it would have been best to stick to the original oval pipes or at least somehow try to fill those holes mate, it'll look weird if exhaust steam escapes through these while your car is warming up in the winter...
wwwwOOOff!!!
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

c_w wrote:
MaxZ3 wrote:Well polished stainless / chrome = tomato / tomato

I'm not sure, to me chrome shouts cheap tat and stainless looks like quality.
I agree, the tips are only temporary as I am waiting on 2 X 2.5" stainless steel tips from the US... The guy just had them lying around in the shop so he tacked them on....

I'll be using stainless instead of chrome although they will look similar.....
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

Fixer wrote:That’s good news; I was hoping it would do the trick, so now we know all these performance mufflers are just tin cans with wire wool inside :(

Long Life charged me well over a grand for the 2.8 system and didn’t even give me any free ear muffs.

Looking good
They are nothing but Tin cans with fiber glass wool inside...that is very true...The quality of the material in excellent ie stainless steel...how ever i feel the requirement for reverse flow in a muffler is essential...otherwise you inevitably have some fart/drone at various revs

The car even seems to have gained in low end torque as I'm sure the straight flow mufflers give the engine too much breathability.....probably something to do with the need for a correct amount of back pressure needed also...

Plus you can give the car the boot with throttle and it stays relatively silent so it doesn't look to others to be going to a lot of effort to gain speed which i always felt about the Fart cannons and ricers....they'd be killing their engines to pull away and I'd be cruising at same speed...
komis wrote:Max, sorry to say this but in the 4th photo one can clearly see the road through your exhaust tips. Whoever did this for you clearly didn't use a 1to2 adaptor but just welded the tips right on the stub of the original oval tip.

Maybe it would have been best to stick to the original oval pipes or at least somehow try to fill those holes mate, it'll look weird if exhaust steam escapes through these while your car is warming up in the winter...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLES ... enameZWD2V

Here are the tips I am waiting on..... The other ones are just cheap temporary solutions tacked on...
Last edited by MaxZ3 on Tue 03 Jun, 2008 21:44, edited 1 time in total.