So close but apparently not to be!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

So close but apparently not to be!!

Post by gov »

Was due to go and collect my Red 2.8 this week. Phoned the owner up on Monday to arrange a day to come up and his wife tells me he sold it the previous Saturday despite the fact that he had already agreed the deal with me - didn't see that coming !!!!!!! He came over as not someone who would do that or at the very least would have phoned me or left a message if someone had offered him more money ( as I suspect happened ). Also had to undo all the arrangements ie insurance etc.
I feel gutted and angry but there it is - there is nothing I can do about it.So back to square one!! Living on the Isle of Wight its very costly and time consuming to go off looking on the mainland I've made several abortive trips looking at ones that to be honest were not anywhere near what they were described as. So now I have ready wad of cash but nothing to look at. Anyone know of a Red 2.8 ,2.2 or3.0 for sale ( up to £10k ) Saw one for sale way up North but too far to travel .

Help

Tony
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

I'm afraid I can't help with the car specifically, although a friend of mine is looking to sell his T plate 2.8. I think its got about 70k miles, but it is in turquiose. However, I wonder how much a respray would cost. He'd do the car for a fair bit less than £10k so there would be change for a spray, but, as I mentioned, it is in a very 'individual' colour.

Anyway, its not up for sale anywhere yet, but he's asked me to ask around, as he is keen to sell. Its based in the South Midlands, and I know from excellent experience that Zedding from the Midlands to the Isle of Wight (through the Costwolds villages and then blasting the A34 etc) is fantastic.
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

Thats all bad it looked good, i had a quick look round last week & there seemed to be few good samples up for sale & the prices seemed to have dropped from when i bought mine in Jan.

What about this one, it certainly ticks all the boxes?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/573627.htm
Dax

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dax »

Not sure if its worth the aggro but under UK law, if he and yourself had made a deal, even if in words, its a legally binding contract, and he has broken that contract by selling the car to someone else, and if you could be bothered, you could do something about it, but probably not worth it... easier to find another car!

If you wish to do something about it the following must apply:

1. You made an offer
2. The seller accepted
3. You both offered consideration, i.e. you both were offering something, i.e. money in exchange for the car
4. you both intended this to be legally binding (always assumed to be true by the courts, unless in a domestic situation)

This forms a legally binding contract under UK law, whether spoken or written.

It is absolutely irrelevant that someone offered more money, he was still legally bound to sell the car to you.

PM me if you would like to know more.
Last edited by Dax on Sat 21 Jun, 2008 18:29, edited 5 times in total.
Whole Lotta Love for my Red Z~eppelin
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I bought a red 2.8 last weekend hope it wasn't the one you were after, I got it from a trader near Leicester though.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

I did wonder what the legal position is but its not worth all the hassle to win a principle. If I lived nearer I would have gone round to ask face to face why he behaved like he did!
It's OK Aceman - it wasn't Leicester or a dealer.Glad you found one - red 2.8's do seem rare
Dax

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dax »

Its not worth it no! I would have scared the guy anyway with a compensation case just to inconvenience him if he did that to me!

Gotta love the red 2.8's :D hope ya find one!
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

It's OK Aceman - it wasn't Leicester or a dealer.Glad you found one - red 2.8's do seem rare[/quote]

Apologies forgot you are set on red, I thought the silver one on the link was pretty good though. If you are still looking for sports seats too you could be in for a long search, as previous i gave up in the end and & bought the 2.0L which is still pretty quick.

There is a couple that look OK on the trader search below, but they seem to be in short supply, good luck.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... rch.action [/quote]
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Dax wrote:Not sure if its worth the aggro but under UK law, if he and yourself had made a deal, even if in words, its a legally binding contract, and he has broken that contract by selling the car to someone else, and if you could be bothered, you could do something about it, but probably not worth it... easier to find another car!

If you wish to do something about it the following must apply:

1. You made an offer
2. The seller accepted
3. You both offered consideration, i.e. you both were offering something, i.e. money in exchange for the car
4. you both intended this to be legally binding (always assumed to be true by the courts, unless in a domestic situation)

This forms a legally binding contract under UK law, whether spoken or written.

It is absolutely irrelevant that someone offered more money, he was still legally bound to sell the car to you.

PM me if you would like to know more.
Verbal agreements are worthless as you cant prove anything. Its his word against yours. Though i agree it is poor form by the seller to have done this to you.

Always leave a deposit and get a receipt if you really want the car.
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

I think I will have to consider another colour - one of the ones suggested by Bally is the one I was set to buy !!! There's a blue one on Autotrader with only 10k miles one owner etc which sounds good - way overpriced at £10495 for a 99 but worth making enquiries ( you get what you pay for! )
MrPoz

Not specified

Post by MrPoz »

This one seems to tick all the right boxes.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... x_mileage=
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Ooh, that does look nice low miles aswell and has the best interior too. Located in Peterborough which would be trek for you but if it's the right one well worth the trek.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

aceman wrote:Ooh, that does look nice low miles aswell and has the best interior too. Located in Peterborough which would be trek for you but if it's the right one well worth the trek.
Unfortunately that was the one I was going to buy - still being advertised but already sold!!
MrPoz

Not specified

Post by MrPoz »

Not in Peterborough but I am, you must have got yourself confused.
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

you're right it wasn't Peterborough but was the same car.
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

gov wrote:I think I will have to consider another colour - one of the ones suggested by Bally is the one I was set to buy !!! There's a blue one on Autotrader with only 10k miles one owner etc which sounds good - way overpriced at £10495 for a 99 but worth making enquiries ( you get what you pay for! )
Gov, i will keep my eyes open for you as i'm sure all the rest of the team will, only seen one red one for sale recently just round the corner and it went quickly. But i have noticed there seems to me more cars for sale, i woundered if the recession was begining to hit and the second cars are being sold.

Good luck.
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

Thanks . We're off to Greece this Saturday for two weeks - what a bummer!! Day after day laying on a sunbed struggling to get up each lunchtime and teatime to walk to a taverna to sample the local food and wine. Not much chance of seeing a Z3 there! I will continue my quest when we return. I nearly bought an MX5 in desperation this week - 1.8S - nice but nothing like a Zedster - I'm hooked!
Dax

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dax »

gov wrote:I nearly bought an MX5 in desperation this week - 1.8S
Ooooh lol

I didn't realise how lucky i was to find mine, judging by the comments in here! But I must admit, I wasn't actually looking, I saw the car, and fell in love!

Sure you'll find one bud, dont give up!
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

gov wrote:I nearly bought an MX5 in desperation this week - 1.8S - nice but nothing like a Zedster - I'm hooked!
I'm off to Lanzarotte myself on Thursday :D, no zedding next weekend.

Had an old MX5 prior to Z3, good car, 100% reliable, easy to fix, loads of parts available and handled great (sometimes), there is literally 1000's of them on the road. Swapped for the Z3 for a change & cos i liked the shape of it. Much more upmarket,sounds fantastic & not as many about, dont think i would swap back, possibly a Z4 next time.
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

Gov

Would this do for the time being, its shiney red?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-2-8-CABRIO ... 18Q2el1247
partybish

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by partybish »

Sorry again to hear that, especially given it's such a pain getting over to the mainland to hunt around!

I just picked up my 2.8 this weekend, and I couldn't be happier - as per your advice I managed to be patient and find one with low miles (41k) (separate post to follow on that).

For what it's worth my advice is to bide your time as the right one will present itself to you eventually and in my opinion it really is worth waiting for your exact spec to come up as in the long term you'll be happier you did.

Will keep my eyes peeled for you! :shock:
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

Bally wrote:Gov

Would this do for the time being, its shiney red?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-2-8-CABRIO ... 18Q2el1247
good idea - low miles too ! A bit worried if my 6'7" frame wll fit !
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

good idea - low miles too ! A bit worried if my 6'7" frame wll fit ![/quote]

Could be a problem :lol:

Searched high & low it was all i could find so far....!
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

What about this one, not 2.8 but looks good?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/580045.htm
gov

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gov »

Bally wrote:What about this one, not 2.8 but looks good?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/580045.htm
Saw that one but its the other end of the country! - went to a conference once in Scarborough nice place but took me two years ( seemed like ) to get there! What is it - 1.9 or 2.0 ?
Bally

BMW other

Post by Bally »

Twin tail, it looks like a facelifted 2.0L same as mine.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Don't forget to also have a nose on BMW's approved used site, I got a little fed up looking at cars on Autotrader and e-bay being described as Immaculate and stunning only to find out when I arrived, there were numerous dents, scratches or no service history or signs of accident damage. I accept you must expect general wear and tear but alot of ads are ambitious to say the least. I just thought I would do a national search on BMW's approved website which is where I saw the one I eventually bought. You will pay a little more obviously but you will get 12 months BMW warranty, breakdown assist and verified mileage cetificate. BMW wont sell any cars that it can't verify the mileage and doesn't have a full BMW service history.

Worth a shot anyways :)