'module not read' carsoft questions - codes read free!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

'module not read' carsoft questions - codes read free!!

Post by Rob13 »

Hi, just wondering if anybody has had problems getting Carsoft (snide v6.5) to read various modules on the full diagnose.

I can only read and reset the engine control, airbag, central body electronics and the immobiliser. live data works fine...

I am not too fussed about the module reading but it will not read any of the service interval stuff and hence not reset the service lights :evil:

I'm in sutton SM1 if anybody wants anything read/reset as you can kinda be a guinnea pig to see if its just my zed that wont work.

I have checked the fuses under the bonnet and left the battery disconnected for 10 mins as well as doing it with the ignition off, pos 2 and the engine on all to no avail.

Thanks for any help
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
ribs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ribs »

I've just got Carsoft 6.5 too. I've run it just once and was in a hurry, but I had the same problem... the only module it read was the DME.

The car has been at a garage since then (having an exhaust mod done) so have not been able to try again. But I have 'obtained' some new software, still 6.5, and installed this with no problems. Should be picking the car up tomorrow night so will try the new software on Tuesday... I'll let you know how I get on.

When I did run it breafly the DME module did report an error though..

Module info : DME/DDE
BMS 46
BMW Part Nr : 1430940
Hardware Nr : 00
Software Nr : F0
Diagnose Index : 60
Code Index : 00
Bus Index : A7
Production Date : 31/00

171 Fuel Delivery System

I take it the error code is '171'. Do you know if this is a standard DTC, which I would have expected it to look like P0171 or P1171, a BMW code (in which case I can't find it in the list I have) or a Carsoft code. 'Fuel Delivery System' doesn't sound too helpful.

Do you know??

The Little Red Roadster
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

I'm afraid I dont

My only errors were obvious - as you say - 'fuel system' s a little vague!

....anybody in Sutton / Wimbledon are that I can try with to see if I have any more luck?

....downlaoded 6.5.06 (SP1??) and it made no diff...rrr I am going to have to buy a draper reset tool to do my service light. Irritating when this should work - and doubly so when I already have one but its 9000 miles away in South Africa.....
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Any luck with yours Ribs??

Is there anybody in Wimbledon / Sutton area whos codes I can read??
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I have been thinking of getting Carsoft myself but your comments worry me as to whether it is worth it. One thing that springs to mind as I know coming from VAG vehicles if you use a USB to serial adapter you could not connect to all of the modules. What are you guys using in terms of interface ? I have been looking at the ones available on Ebay for around £50.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Rob
I'm in Sutton every weekday. PM me and you can use me as a guinnea pig if you want. Only take Zed in on Sunny days though :drive :sunny
ImageImage
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

My laptop has a serial port so no adapters for me. - the ones on ebay are what I have - tried the v6.5 it comes with and a V6.5 with the service pack but still only reads a few modules - hopefully with Daves help I'll figure out if its my car or the interface/SW.

Thanks Daverave - will PM....
ImageImage
ribs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by ribs »

Hi Rob.... sorry I took so long, been having fun with exhaust mods.

I got a new copy of Carsoft 6.5 with service pack 1, but still only got the DME module to report any status... whats more I have 2 error codes show up now (141 and 171). Neither of these have a meaningfull description in the carsoft software and, after a visit to my local $tealer, these codes are not the same as codes given by the 'real' BMW ODB reader... so they couldn't help either :? .

I've just about given up with Carsoft .. (another £50 down the drain :head: ) .. about the only usefull thing I can see is that it resets the errors OK, turning of the waring light on the dash ... oh, the live data is fun to look at I suppose, would be even betting if I knew what I was looking at though :lol:

The Little Red Roadster
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

For all you guys struggling to get Carsoft to work the read the following thread on Bimmerforums.com, you will find it very informative and resourceful especially page 4 !! :wink:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... p?t=952429
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Thanks for that aceman! my crack indeed only had 4 files - I have downloaded it all and will give it a go and report back - if the rain STOPS!!! rrr
ImageImage
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

rrrr nope - did exactly as he said with all the new downloads and it still will not read the same modules - mainly the inst. cluster to reset the service light. Will play more later but hopefully I'll try on Daves soon to see if its the car or this seemingly troublesome software!
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Did you do a full uninstall beforehand including manually deletaing any remenants left behind, it just seems from the thread on Bimmerforums.com if you read to the end there are many people with exactly the same problem as yourself and most of them have resolved it following mikes instructions.

I haven't got an interface yet so I can't speak from experience but I suppose there could always be a problem with your interface as there is a processor in the unit which the software has to communicate with, reading around the various forums there have been some low quality ones produced with dodgy firmware etc. so it could be down to the hardware rather then software.

As soon as I get hold of an interface I will post my experiences also.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

To the best of my knowlege I had removed everything - did it as he said in the first page - searching files, deleting restore points etc....

Just in case, I am going to format a spare laptop drive and just install windows and the software he uploaded and see how I get on.... will report back!
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Rob13 wrote:To the best of my knowlege I had removed everything - did it as he said in the first page - searching files, deleting restore points etc....

Just in case, I am going to format a spare laptop drive and just install windows and the software he uploaded and see how I get on.... will report back!
Sounds like a good plan, good luck.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

No luck!!

Exactly the same - only reads 4 modules and the live data - I just want the inst. cluster to be read :head:

Was a fresh XP install and followed his instructions to the T.

Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate the car soon then its interface/SW.....will re-read the bimmer forum stuff when I have time later.

:head: :head: :head: :head:
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Just a thought are you using the OBDII socket for diagnostics or the 20pin round connector under the bonnet as I noticed on the Bimmerforums some people can only read certain modules on either of the two sockets so it might be worth trying the other socket to see if you can read the instrument cluster.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Yes - the 20 pin under the bonnet - my 97 does not have the 'in car socket' - well there is nothing under the steering wheel colum at least - is this where is would be?
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Yes there is a flap under the steering wheel with the OBDII port, mine has both but then mine is a '99 so they must have started fitting them '98-'99.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Well I tried the my carsoft setup on Daves '00 3.0 and it worked fine...rrrr reading the ABS and instrument clusters which it will not do on mine. I guess either my instrument cluster AND ABS are not playing ball or the carsoft software is not fully functional with all BMW software - Daves being newer.

Anyhow - the oil service was reset by shorting pin 7....
ImageImage
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Hi Rob

Was nice to meet you today and chat about Zeds. Only sorry that the test proved it doesn't work on you car. (Nice car BTW). Still at least you have now taken the plunge and used the old trick of shorting the pins to do a reset.
You may have tried this already but have you thought about downloading the official SP1 6.5 software from carsoft.
As you already have a ???? version it may enable you to reinstall. Haven't got the kit so not sure if it would work but I know with other software this is possible.
I like the idea of organising a local cruise. Maybe we could organise one between us some time. I know there are quite few Zroadster members locally and there are some great country roads close at hand as proved on the Dunsfold meet last year.

Dave
ImageImage
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Thanks Dave - yours too - wish I had all those options!

Tried to read the modules again when I got home with no luck so just shorted it for three seconds.
...there was a black 3.0 about 300 meters away from your work - wonder if its anybody on here - should try encourage a south London run :)
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

One little thought, as I have been watching you guys struggling away for a while....

The engine management modules in a '97 car will not be the same as those in an '00. There were a number of changes, not least the integration of the alarm into the engine management. These changes seem to have been phased in, so it is not as clear cut as pre-/post- facelift. There are definitely two different odometer units as the self-test modes are different.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there may be some things which you cannot read on an older car because the car's electronics don't support it.

HTH.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

In theory it should read all the Z3s' the same according to the Carsoft site- most modules are all BMW models 1988-2004 and the odd module is 2001-2004.

Thanks for the ideas though.
ImageImage