Leaking roof - where to buy new seals?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Kris-Z3-2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Leaking roof - where to buy new seals?

Post by Kris-Z3-2.8 »

I have a leak on my 1997 Z3, 2.8 which living in Scotland is driving me crazy - can anyone advise where to buy new seals for each side above the window?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated by my wet ass that I have to haul into work most mornings after my short journey on a wet seat. :(

Post by Guest »

Firstly, welcome!

Unless your seals have actually perished then you might not need new ones. A common problem is that the rubber seals go hard over time and need softening with something like Gummi Plege - http://www.einszett.co.uk/products_eins ... terior.htm

Scroll down a little and you'll see it. It works wonders!

Si.
Kris-Z3-2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cheers

Post by Kris-Z3-2.8 »

I've ordered some Gummi Plege online, but it seems more fluid than the original Plege, so not too confident about my chances of success. BMW wanted £520 to replace the side and header seal, so hopefully I can avoid that. Thanks again
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

BMW stock Gummi pflege as well, it cured my leaks. :)

Gummi pflege from BMW is a spray, and whilst not looking like it will make a difference, it does in reality. Any pics of where the water is coming in?

As a short term fix, try using vaseline to block the offending holes. I used it until I soved the problem with Pflege.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I cannot believe how BMW can justify over 500 quid for a piece of rubber, daylight robbery. The main area for leaks I have found on most softtops and cabs is the corners where the roof meets the windscreen top. Had this on my Toyota MR2 T bar, Peugeot 207 CC from new. I get occasionally a drop or two on the passenger side where it seals in the corner roof to windscreen on the Zed. I tend every 2 weeks to go over the seals with the hood down with some rubber lubricant from Halfords and then some Autoglym Rubber Care. If you can I think it helps if you don't have the roof down too often to leave in down over night to allow the seals to expand.

If the worse come to the worse I would perhaps try a breakers yard for the seals.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Kris-Z3-2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Kris-Z3-2.8 »

thanks for all the advice guys - never used a forum before and delighted to see that there are still a lot of decent folk out there!

cheers
Kris

Leaks

Post by Guest »

If it really is the rubber at the top of the windows, the answer is to adjust the angle of the glass, until a piece of paper is trapped between it and the seal.

That's where the dealer labour price boosts the piece of rubber to £500.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

You could also try tightening the roof hooks a tad, if it's water coming in from the corner of the windscreen where it meets the roof. The hooks are adjustable and might give you a better (tighter) fit that will stop the leaking until you can get hold of some gummipflege.

IIRC you will need an allen key to loosen them up - once loose, give them one or two turns and see how it goes.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Torres09

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Torres09 »

Has anyone done a write up on tightening the roof??
Mine has a minor leak on the drivers side but nowhere near as bad as being descibed on this post... would like to give tightening the hooks a go just to see if it helps though :?
Why does mineral water that takes a 1000 years to flow up through the earth, have a sell by date on the bottle?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Can you show us a pic? It would help us greatly in being able to advise you and get a bearing on how bad it is.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
zedebee

M roadster S50

Post by zedebee »

I have just resolved similar problem.

Firstly do as Mike Fishwick suggests, use thin (about 10mm) strips of paper to check along length of seal for gaps between glass and seal.

Under the base of the door on my Z there is a bolt that can be moved within an elongated hole to provide some adjustment of the guide stay that runs up between the main window and quarter light glass. Undo the bolt a couple of turns and see if the glass will move towards the seals.

On my car I had to elongate the hole about 3mm (With a small cylindrical grindstone in an electric drill) this enabled the guide stay, and glass of course, to move towards the seal.

Try the paper test again, it should now be held quite tightly along the whole length of the seal and glass including the quarter light.

PS If you have to take the bolt right out to elongate the hole you may find you will have to take the door card off to relocate the bolt correctly. This is because there is a spacer washer (maybe more than one) that may become displaced. It must be replaced otherwise the guide stay will not be at the correct height.

It took me about an hour not knowing the process - if I had to do it again then probably less than half an hour.

This may not be the solution in all cases but it worked well for me.

Good luck!
ra11

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by ra11 »

asked BMW about Gummi pflege - they said they never heard of it..: Also found the root cause of my leaks:
the windows dont go up to meet the rubber but up and over - creating a gap as the window is essentially pulled away from the car.
soo - will get more info after full check over this Thurs (and parting with £81 for it...):