What should I replace my Z3 with HELP!!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
davegrehan1

blank.gif

What should I replace my Z3 with HELP!!!!

Post by davegrehan1 »

Hi All,

After much deliberation I have come to the conclusion my 1.9 02 Z3 has to go as I will now be using my car everyday to commute to work (about an hour and half drive) since moving house.The Z3 is usual garaged monday to friday so running costs never really bothered me but there is no way I can keep fuel in it using it for work. I will be so sorry to see it go but at the same time can't think of what to replace it with?I'm going to put about 4 or 5 grand with the Z3 I was thinking of a 120d 1 series but a 05 or 06 comes in 5 door only which I don't like and there is something about the styling I just can't take too.Has anyone any recommendations.The car has to be economical but something that when you see it in the car park that you are not over come with regret for trading the Z3.All recommendations welcome from those who have been in a similiar situation.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

As you are thinking about diesel but are not sold on the 5 dr 1er, I'd take a look at an E46 320d Sport coupe in Silver Grey or Imola Red. You might also want to take a look at a 320d 3er compact, or buy something cheap and cheerful and keep the Z for the weekends.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Do you need the space? Extra seats, luggage space?

If not, why sell the Z3.

I'm not a fan of the 1.9, but it is failrly economical.

You will need to drive a lot of miles to get back £4-5k in fuel.

What other savings are you hoping to get?
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would keep the Zed and go for the new shape Suzuki Swift which you could pick up for around 5K, people might laugh lol but I had a 1.5 GLX for 18 months and one of the best fun cars I have ever owned, put it this way I drove it more that my MINI Cooper S I also had at the time. They are economical, low tax, and a great drive, real fun on the twisties and come with aircon and keyless entry as standard, the interior is smartish too, some pics of my old car.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
ra11

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by ra11 »

as and when i replace the Z it'll probably be with a Boxster....
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

How far is your 90 minute commute?
It'd need to be well over 100 miles for the maths to come close to justifying spending an extra £5k on a replacement.

In fact thinking about depreciation etc - I'd guess you'd have two years free motoring if you stick with the Z - longer if you're taking out finance.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

FIAT Panda 100HP or 500...

Both cracking fun and cheap to run. The 500 seems to be holding it's money extremely well too...
押忍!闘え!応援団
Apolyon

M coupe S50

Post by Apolyon »

When I replace the Z it will be with something like an Aston or a Noble, that might be quite a few years from now though.

The Pug is getting replaced with a 2005 or newer Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger as soon as I can afford it.

Thats no help to you at all but I was day dreaming.... back to work now.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Out of interest, have you driven a standard Mustang on UK roads? They aren't the greatest... I have driven one with an IRS conversion (in the US though) and it was a major improvement.
The Challenger does look pretty nice, I do find it interesting though that it's related to the 300C, and thus, the old MB E-Class. (not a complaint, just found it interesting)
押忍!闘え!応援団
Apolyon

M coupe S50

Post by Apolyon »

Yes I had a test drive a few months back, they handle like all other American pig iron.... I love it. Although I will be doing a few upgrades, plus I will have the other car (Aston or Noble, etc.) for the corners :lol:

I drove a Chevy Impalla 2500 miles a couple of months ago, down Big Sur, around San Fran and through 5 National Parks. It felt like the steering wheel had lag built into it! Endless amusement.

The Challenger is possibly the best looking American car released in the past 4 years. I know I am about to get burnt strapped to the hood of my car for that comment but its just an opinion. I didn't realise about the connection with the 300C.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Apolyon wrote: The Pug is getting replaced with a 2005 or newer Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger as soon as I can afford it.
Still thinking of a Roush?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Roush do the IRS conversion, don't they?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inheritantly wrong with a standard Mustang, it just feels odd on bumpy roads if you're used to anything modern.
押忍!闘え!応援団
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Incidently I took an AMV8 Vantage out (2006 model) for a lengthy test drive last week. Was up at £44K at a reputable dealer which puts in into mere mortal territory in terms of affordability. The looks of the thing almost sold it to me but it's definitely slower than the M and that is just not allowed.

I hear the 2008 4.7L model is much better.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Good for you Spunky........... my M never ceases to amaze me and I took it out on the iciest roads today. The DSC is mega effective. If you want to replace your Z3, there has never been a better time to buy an M. I note the cheaper of the S54s have both sold on Pistonheads. If you are in for the longhaul, buy one now.
:thumb:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Mr Adds

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mr Adds »

Before I bought my Saab 93ss (everyday works car!) I had a 320td compact, loved every minute of it until the warrenty expired... have a look on bmwland and read the stories about bmw diesel engines and swirl flaps... also they eat turbo's.... and the new 120d's have wastegate problems and dodgy injectors!

I would go for a old skool e39 5 series, pocket money to buy, bullet proof engineering, lovely looking especially in sport guise!!
MarkN

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by MarkN »

My commute is about a 300 mile round trip (about 2.5hours each way)and I used to hate driving it in a "normal" car and always preferred to do it on the bike, which is why I now have an 18month old bike with 48,000 miles on the clock! But since getting my Z4 I've started to enjoy driving again, so I'm doing it more in the car.

Running costs aren't that much higher that a "normal" car, with my 3.0Si I'm getting about 30mpg on a run and when it comes to servicing it's not that much more from a less expensive brand.

Unless you really need the extra space and seats etc I would suggest keeping the Z3 and enjoy the drive. Think of the summer evening's when you could take the long way home with the top down :D
Apolyon

M coupe S50

Post by Apolyon »

Yep, Roush is still the plan although it will have to be my everyday car so I can't go too crazy with it, plus I am building up a 3rd house deposit at the moment... long story, so it might be quite a few years down the line :bawl:
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

adamski wrote: I would go for a old skool e39 5 series, pocket money to buy, bullet proof engineering, lovely looking especially in sport guise!!
Even 540's, Alpinas and M5's are affordable now. They haven't aged badly either - they still look fresh and modern in the facelifted variant especially.
Spokey, with new AM V8's going for under 70k (and some dealers throwing in a free SLK!), it's no wonder used prices are dropping!
押忍!闘え!応援団