ASC button fault

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RB007

blank.gif

ASC button fault

Post by RB007 »

I'm having problems with ASC button awhile ago I could not switch off the traction control. now I can't switch on? I have tried everything from holding down the button to tapping it. Is it me ? :dunce: Or the zed?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

When you start the engine the traction control should be activated automatically. Do you have the warning light on?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

Phil wrote:When you start the engine the traction control should be activated automatically. Do you have the warning light on?
Do you mean the ASC light on the dash?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

RB007 wrote:
Phil wrote:When you start the engine the traction control should be activated automatically. Do you have the warning light on?
Do you mean the ASC light on the dash?
The light on the dash is only lit when the ASC is off.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

Well it cannot be switched back on. I have been goggling the question, and other people are having the same problem on there E36's. And there talking about cleaning the sensor for the ASC, problem is got no idea where that is located?

Post by Guest »

RB007 wrote:Well it cannot be switched back on. I have been goggling the question, and other people are having the same problem on there E36's. And there talking about cleaning the sensor for the ASC, problem is got no idea where that is located?
I think we have some crossed wires here. After starting the engine, all lights should go out after a few seconds. There should be no ASC or any other lights lit on the dash. This is the state the ASC will be in every time you start the car and shows that the ASC is working normally. The ASC does not 'remember' what state it was in the last time the engine was running.

If you have any warning lights then this means the AC is NOT working normally, either because you have switched it off manually or because it detected a fault in the system and disabled itself. If the light comes on after starting the engine and you have not hit the switch then there is a fault.
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

siwilson wrote:
RB007 wrote:Well it cannot be switched back on. I have been goggling the question, and other people are having the same problem on there E36's. And there talking about cleaning the sensor for the ASC, problem is got no idea where that is located?
I think we have some crossed wires here. After starting the engine, all lights should go out after a few seconds. There should be no ASC or any other lights lit on the dash. This is the state the ASC will be in every time you start the car and shows that the ASC is working normally. The ASC does not 'remember' what state it was in the last time the engine was running.

If you have any warning lights then this means the AC is NOT working normally, either because you have switched it off manually or because it detected a fault in the system and disabled itself. If the light comes on after starting the engine and you have not hit the switch then there is a fault.
I think there's fault with the system by what your saying. The ASC button is totally dead nothing happens. Do think it worth taking out the button and checking is still connected?
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

Is the car prefaceflift?? When i went to have a look at my 2.8 the asc light on the dash was on permanently at every start.It did turn out to be the switch not switching on and off correctly after repeated pressing the light did go out.
So although the asc doesn't remember switched position the switch could be the fault.It is just a simple on and off switch nothing technical 4 wires two for the light and one wire in and one out.
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

AntMan wrote:Is the car prefaceflift?? When i went to have a look at my 2.8 the asc light on the dash was on permanently at every start.It did turn out to be the switch not switching on and off correctly after repeated pressing the light did go out.
So although the asc doesn't remember switched position the switch could be the fault.It is just a simple on and off switch nothing technical 4 wires two for the light and one wire in and one out.
Its a 1998 1.9 Zed. And have I had the exact same experience as you just described.So might be the case just putting in a new switch.
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

It may be just a simple switch issue but to save cost get it code read as the system has many parts.
If you need a switch i've got one as i've just changed to a facelift switch so if you need it drop me a p.m :) :)
mattdedasc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mattdedasc »

Honestly, did anyone notice any difference at all with the system on/off? I can't.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

mattdedasc wrote:Honestly, did anyone notice any difference at all with the system on/off? I can't.
Give it a Bootfull on 50% lock from rest in a clear area, you'll know if it's working.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

mattdedasc wrote:Honestly, did anyone notice any difference at all with the system on/off? I can't.
Well I did in most situations, and found had ease off the accelerator and it's cut down my speed. So I really wanted get fixed asap. I'm surprised you don't not notice the difference ! Unless you like drifting round corners :lol:
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

My car is a pre-facelift model and my ASC and ABS light have come on which indicates there is a system problem. The switch does not switch the lights off or turn the ASC back on.

I need to get the codes read and will very soon. At the moment I am obviously driving with no ASC and possibly no ABS but the latter is not noticeable. However driving without the ASC on is very noticeable and I have had the back end twitch a few times when coming off roundabouts and accelerating.

Pretty dodgy to say the least!

Regards
Orinoco
pdwarren

M coupe S50

Post by pdwarren »

Orinoco wrote:However driving without the ASC on is very noticeable and I have had the back end twitch a few times when coming off roundabouts and accelerating.

Pretty dodgy to say the least!
Every car with TC I've driven flashes the warning light if it's actually doing anything. Do you find that the ASC light activates regularly when it is working?

Paul
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, the ASC light blinks when the system is active. I've driven mine on fresh snow and it came on every time I turned the wheel! :lol:

If the light is on continuously, then it has either be turned off by hand or there is a fault with the system (in which case the switch is ignored).

Note that an ABS fault will disable the ASC as the ASC uses the braking system.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

Yes the ASC light does flash when its operating and warning me about the road conditions. Usually when you floor it and its a bit slippy on the road surface. Under normal driving it doesn't flash.

I'm pleased in a way that the ASC light comes on if there is a fault with the ABS as the two things are connected. Need to find out exactly what the problem is now. It might not be as bad as I thought potentially.

Regards
Orinoco
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

are you also aware that there are two settings for ASC 'off'.
If you just press once then you get the version where (I believe) the differential is still in limited slip mode,
however if you turn it off with a long press, you get a further indication light on the dash, and ...... well.......
This setting converts the car into a donut making machine, use with extreme care on private land!!
Thanks to Tiff Needell for that one!! :twisted:
Last edited by gookah on Thu 21 May, 2009 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Drive the car on grass and plant your throttle to see if it's working - which will be quite obvious when you start lurching around when the throttle gets ever so clumsily cut by the ASC!

My ASC bulb failed some time ago, as my normal dry road default is with it off and I noticed the light wouldn't illuminate. It's quite a jo to change I understand (dealer did it under warranty).

The ASC was definitely still working and IFAIK, there is On or Off, not 2 modes. You're probably thinking of the cars with DSC, which do have 2 modes on most BMW's.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

DSC is just on or off as well. On the S54 at least.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

On my 3.0i sport there are definately 2 modes,,With the short press I can spin the wheels. The long press I can spin the car, which wont happen in mode 1
Also the indicator light comes on for DSC in mode one , and you get DSC and a brake warning light in mode two.
Last edited by gookah on Thu 21 May, 2009 11:13, edited 2 times in total.
Orinoco

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

My car seems to have cured itself. The light has gone off on both the ABS and DSC. I have checked the ASC is working by pressing the button to turn it off and it goes tail happy etc when I floor it and when its activated I can tell its working as it grips really well. Very strange.

Regards
Orinoco
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

gookah wrote:are you also aware that there are two settings for ASC 'off'.
If you just press once then you get the version where (I believe) the differential is still in limited slip mode,
however if you turn it off with a long press, you get a further indication light on the dash, and ...... well.......
This setting converts the car into a donut making machine, use with extreme care on private land!!
Thanks to Tiff Needell for that one!! :twisted:
That was a Z4, I remember seeing that on 5th gear a while back... :D
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

I think you'll find that all Z3s fitted with DSC have 3 modes of operation.

Default mode is DSC on...

Single quick press of the DSC button (DSC light illuminated) - this deactivates DSC and activates ADB (Automatic Differential Brake) which is basically like a diff lock that uses the rear brakes to ensure that both rear wheels spin at the same speed. Use for starting in deep snow, snow gradients or if using snow chains.

Press and Hold DSC button for approx 3 seconds (DSC & red warning light for brake hydraulics illuminated) - all stability and traction control systems are off!

Its all in the manual...... :rtm:
www.PCandMacIT.com

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I like these forums, because there are so many armchair experts that can tell me what my Z3 cannot do, yet when I step into it it seems to react like the Z4 it isnt, and has ASC or DSC modes that it definately cant have.......
Guess mine must be faulty... unless of course there are too many handbook anoraks that maybe ought to get in their cars and actually try it.
I should let on about the intermittant-wiper delay interval..... narghh that cant possibly be adjusted either.......??? can it?
over to the experts.... :rtm:
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

gookah wrote:I like these forums, because there are so many armchair experts that can tell me what my Z3 cannot do, yet when I step into it it seems to react like the Z4 it isnt, and has ASC or DSC modes that it definately cant have.......
Guess mine must be faulty... unless of course there are too many handbook anoraks that maybe ought to get in their cars and actually try it.
I should let on about the intermittant-wiper delay interval..... narghh that cant possibly be adjusted either.......??? can it?
Well I like to read the handbook and then go and try it :lol:

The single press mode I have used on a couple of occasions when driving in snow, and it worked a treat!

Regarding the intermittent-wiper delay interval being adjustable.....

It is! Though nothing about it in the handbook - but go try it, it works!

See this previous Forum Topic
www.PCandMacIT.com

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

AND 101 you're a star,
at least youre with me on the '2 modes of off' thing.. and yes I already know the wiper trick. bit awkward to do at first but I've mastered it now.
Shown my son too, so he can vary his E36 wiper interval between 1 and 20 secs...... oops I'm getting carried away, sorry I forgot. it can't possibly be adjusted :rtm:
Anyone remember the Harry Enfield character..... 'only meee' :rtm: ' I don't believe it can posiibly do that'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by gookah on Fri 16 Jan, 2009 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

gookah wrote:I like these forums, because there are so many armchair experts that can tell me what my Z3 cannot do, yet when I step into it it seems to react like the Z4 it isnt, and has ASC or DSC modes that it definately cant have.......

Wow, classy rant there!

Had a Bad Day Gookah?

and breath :lol:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

:lol: :lol:

Yeah the wiper trick is a little tricky, but once you've sussed it, its very useful - and you wonder how you managed before you discovered it!
www.PCandMacIT.com

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

and did you notice on your wiper forum link how many said that wasnt possible either, because it wasnt standard, its not UK, its not europe etc etc, then when they finally went and tried it they found out it........ actually works.....
why not get off your a***s and go and try it before ya say it's not possible.... or is your car under a dust sheet for the winter?
How many people look on these forums for advice, only to be given bad answers by so called 'experts'....
And if this rant causes you offence, then think..... you're probably one of those I'm talking about HA HAAAAAAAAAA.....
:D :D :D
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

Right just an update, I have taken some advice from a friend and checked all the fuse's in the fuse box...there all ok! So my only conclusion it must be the ASC-T button at fault. I visited the $tealer today, they qouted me £57.50 for a button! :shock:
See the progress of my Project Z3 here > http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3185856/2
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

An ABS sensor fault can cause itermittent failure of ASC and ABS. Not an armchair anorak actually had the problem with my Zed. Had to drive most of the winter months with no ASC and no ABS. Diagnostic will tell you for certain.

Cost around £100 to get a new rear sensor fitted.
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

BenZ3-2.0 wrote:An ABS sensor fault can cause itermittent failure of ASC and ABS. Not an armchair anorak actually had the problem with my Zed. Had to drive most of the winter months with no ASC and no ABS. Diagnostic will tell you for certain.

Cost around £100 to get a new rear sensor fitted.
Could I use a Peake Research R5/FCX-3-U to find a fault code for that problem?

See the progress of my Project Z3 here > http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3185856/2