Throttle cable adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Throttle cable adjustment

Post by phb10186 »

Has anyone ever needed to do this???

I noticed when changing part of my air intake that the throttle cable is a little slack, and it might explain the lack of apparent throttle opening for the first inch or so of pedal depression.
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I adjusted mine when I oiled the cable due to it sticking slightly, easily done at the throttle body end.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

Mine was adjusted to the max and has always felt very stiff compared with my mates 328i.I have just replaced the cable last week and the difference is great it's so light on the throttle now and has mad a big difference.
As said though it is adjustable at the throttle body, just wind it out you can see the slack come out of the cable and it will make a difference. :) :)
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

Been a few posts on Z3Mcoupe.com regarding how the S50 throttle cable stretches over time, and replacing or adjusting could improve repsonse/find more horses. Have bought a new throttle cable for my S50 as a just in case but haven't fitted it yet.
1999 Z3 2.8 (Cosmos)
2000 M Coupe (Dakar)
545 M Sport

cowboybebop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cowboybebop »

I was going to post a question about this myself...

how easy is it to change the cable and what do i need to look out for?

any step by step guide? :roll:
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

The cable is quite an easy change on the 2.8 it runs from the TB around the back of the engine under the wiring loom carrier on the back.It is clipped with three clips which you need to push upwards to pop the cable out of the top as it just sit's in the top of these.
It passes through the plastic shielding on the drivers side of the engine bay via a grommet which comes on the cable, you have to clip the top of the shielding off to release it.
Remove the cable at the TB first and when unclipped as described it pulls through.
Working from inside the car the cable needs to be removed from the pedal you'll have to remove the cowl that's under the dash to access it (2 twist clips) the hardest bit is releasing the cable from the bulk head again you can get to it from the inside with out any major issue it has a square clip that holds it to the bulk head the two tabs need to be squashed to release it then pull it free from the engine bay.
Replacement is the reverse and worth the work in my case.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

My 1st M/// went into Scotthall twice due to low power. They plugged in their diagnostic unit each time but found nothing. They failed to do a basic check of a key mechanical system. Namely the extent of throttle opening so they failed to identify the simple cause of low max power.
Then on a zed cruise I met another S50 owner who'd had this problem & kindly pointed out to me that I had the same problem as he'd had. Namely the accelerator pedal stop screw in the footwell had come loose & unscrewed a few turns, so the throtte pedal wouldn't go far enough to the floor to fully open the throttles.
It seems gone are the days when BMW mechanics touch anything to check out the mechanical parts. I guess that's why they are now called vehicle technicians isn't it LOL
I recommend all S50 owners to ask someone to press their accelerator pedal to the floor whilst they check that the throttles are fully open. Also a way to check for cable stretch.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Robin wrote:......
I recommend all S50 owners to ask someone to press their accelerator pedal to the floor whilst they check that the throttles are fully open. Also a way to check for cable stretch.
Make sure the engine is turned off :shock: :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

jonttt wrote:
Robin wrote:......
Make sure the engine is turned off :shock: :D
Begorra I nevva tort a doin dat :lol:
'High G' motoring enthusiast