condensation problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bluecar

Z3 roadster 1.9

condensation problem

Post by Bluecar »

Hi, Wondered if anyone can enlighten me on why my Z has so much condensation on the inside of the windows. There appears to be no leaks and a blast of the heater soon moves it, but then its back again within a couple of hours of parking her. The hard top is on at the mo' and as this is our first winter together, I don't know if it is 'normal'. :?:
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

I have a large bag of silica gel that i keep behind the seats, seems to sort most of the problem
birdy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by birdy »

I have the gel packs and still get condensation-is this hardtop related as mine is fitted at the moment? :?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Have you checked the carpet interior for any soaked material? If there is it's the best indicator of a leaky seal someplace.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

The carpets may feel dry to the touch but the carpet in the Zed has all the sound deadening moulded too it and this is what holds the water if you put you seat upright and fully back you can find the velcro joint and have a feel underneath too check.
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

I get tons of condensation, worse with hard-top.

It's the worst car for condensation I have ever had (MK2 Golf close 2nd)... must be some design fault that lets so much air in and circulate... It's quite amazing I know.
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
Foggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Foggy »

I have put an Air Dry bag (from Frosts) in my Z3 (soft-top only).

This seems to cope with day to day condensation, but actually using the car (i.e. me daring to breathe) can cause an inbalance in the car and it then suffers from rearscreen condensation afterwards (nowhere else though). If it has condensation I keep a microfibre cloth in the car to give it a wipe over before setting off.
Bluecar

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bluecar »

Thanks for all your replies. Seems it is a common problem so not going to worry too much as the carpets are dry.