first problem with car

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

first problem with car

Post by _wendy_ »

well, have had the car exactly 1 week now. just driven it back from the docs (where i have been told i have pleurisy :() anyway i felt a sudden loss of power when changing through the gears. there is little pulling power when in 3rd and 4th. i crawled home in 1st and 2nd.luckily i was in traffic so no one noticed. anyway from past experience i am guessing it is the clutch slipping. if this is the case, what am i looking at money wise? not the best start, but if i need new clutch, then so be it, at least it will be another thing that wont need sorting for a while.
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well, hubby has taken car out and decided its not clutch but the brakes binding. there is a rubbing sound and loss of power.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: first problem with car

Post by Titan »

Oh dear Wendy
Sorry to hear your news
I thought you had taken the car to the Doctor at first :roll:
Don't know which of you will get the most sympathy though :!:
Guess you need to get right first then worry about the car later...
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Sorry to her the medical news.

Your health more important than the cars albeit best to not drive it until 100% sure brakes sorted.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

thanks guys, hoping to get the car looked at asap. going to take it somewhere like kwik fit where they do free brake checks. trouble is they only open 9-5 during the week. which is no good with the hours my hubby works.
MarkOliver

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkOliver »

If you bought the car from a dealer….I might be tempted to give him a ring he can only say no (which is likely…but you never know?). You have only just bought it !
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

it was a private sale. the brakes etc were replaced in october by kwik fit. still have the receipts. so we are going to take it back to thm first, see what they say.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

My local kwik fit open weekends and certainly saturday maybe worth double checking unless certain they are shut weekends.

Not that I would let them anywhere my bmw again, (seriously made tracking worse than it was when asked to align - since sorted by bmw dealer).
Last edited by AW8 on Mon 16 Mar, 2009 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

yeh sat morning is only option at minute. we go to watch footie sat afternoon and was supposed to driving car on 200 mile round trip to inlaws on sunday.

we wouldnt ncessarily choose kwik fit eiher, but we have receipts for work that was done their by last owner, so worth trying then first i think.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Makes sense I'd do same.

Good Luck - Hope you both get it sorted.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

do you know which brake is binding?? - if brakes a binding badly then you tend to get a burning smell (for obvious reasons) and the wheel with the binding brake will be significantly hotter than the others..

I'm guessing if the brakes were done then it would only be the discs/pads? - when brakes bind it tends to be the pistons seizing in the calipers that cause the problem.. you generally have 2 options then - either to refurb the existing calipers or replace them..

Brakes International (http://www.brakesint.com/) list the front calipers (complete new units) at £52.83 (ex-VAT) and the rears are £57.08 (ex-VAT) - the caliper service kits on the other hand are £11.19 and if you need new caliper pistons those are £12.07 each - at least this should give you an idea/comparison when they diagnose the issue. :D

HTH
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

ok, hubby to car to kwik fit and they said brakes are fine, but have cleaned them. they did say wheel is stiff to turn, so hubby took it to our normal garage. they put it up on ramp to check. he adjusted the disk guards but said otherwise it was fine. he said the slight scraping noise might be handbrake but nothing to worry about.

despite all this, i know there was something wrong yesterday so im still proceeding with caution. hubby has driven it today and said it feels ok to him.

any suggestions? am i going mad maybe? is the medication affecting me worse than i thought and it was maybe just me driving badly yesterday?
RB007

blank.gif

Re: first problem with car

Post by RB007 »

_wendy_ wrote:well, have had the car exactly 1 week now. just driven it back from the docs (where i have been told i have pleurisy :() anyway i felt a sudden loss of power when changing through the gears. there is little pulling power when in 3rd and 4th. i crawled home in 1st and 2nd.luckily i was in traffic so no one noticed. anyway from past experience i am guessing it is the clutch slipping. if this is the case, what am i looking at money wise? not the best start, but if i need new clutch, then so be it, at least it will be another thing that wont need sorting for a while.
Try this on for size my zed has had it's clutch totally replaced £478. And this morning had flat tire that refused to take air from my air pump....now I'm just waiting for the third thing to happen.........it's a German car this should not be happening! :D either that or I'm jinxed :shock:
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

Loss of power like you describe on a zed can sometimes attributed to the cam sensor.Does the car start ok i.e first turn of the key.Maybe some of the guys that have had this problem may be able to shed a bit more light.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

_wendy_ wrote:...he said the slight scraping noise might be handbrake ... but despite all this, i know there was something wrong yesterday...... hubby has driven it today and said it feels ok ....any suggestions? am i going mad maybe? is the medication affecting me worse than i thought and it was maybe just me driving badly yesterday?
You did release the handbrake thingy wingy lever in the middle didn't you ?????
Glad the Z appears to be fixed (that's really important) - hope you feel better soon too :)

Cheeky regards
Titan
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Titan wrote:
_wendy_ wrote:...he said the slight scraping noise might be handbrake ... but despite all this, i know there was something wrong yesterday...... hubby has driven it today and said it feels ok ....any suggestions? am i going mad maybe? is the medication affecting me worse than i thought and it was maybe just me driving badly yesterday?
You did release the handbrake thingy wingy lever in the middle didn't you ?????
Glad the Z appears to be fixed (that's really important) - hope you feel better soon too :)

Cheeky regards
Titan
Titan, I think you are asking for a round leather hand shaped laced fisty thing between the ears. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Rtfm? :lol:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

whiteminks wrote: Titan, I think you are asking for a round leather hand shaped laced fisty thing between the ears. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apologies Bex and Wendy should I have caused any offence or implied female inablity to properly contol a motor wotor wehicle :oops: :oops: :oops:
MrPoz

Not specified

Post by MrPoz »

Dont know what you could be implying titan....

Women get ready for driving like so:

1. Unlock car
2. Adjust seat
3. Check make up
4. Start car
5. Put in gear
6. Drive away
7. Put air freshener lever down

HANG ON... what do you mean 'AIR FRESHENER LEVER'

Well i thought thats what it is, when you put it down THE SMELL OF BURNING STOPS. :shock:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Whiteminks

You're not going to let him get away with that surely :nono

Titan
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well having driven the car all week, there has been no repeat of the loss of power. however the squeeking noise that we keep hearing at low speeds got worse today. hubby tried putting the handbrake up 2 clicks whilst i was driving then released it. this stopped the worst of the noise. so we are assuming the issue is with the handbrake. any thoughts?

also, the fan only works on 4. it was like this when we bought it, then when we had it valeted it mysteriously worked on all 4 settings. now it has stopped and only works on 4 again. any thoughts on this? as it did work, we are assuming it isnt the fuse?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Wendy,

In connection to your heater only working on 4, there is a Blower Motor Resistor located in the passenger footwell centre consol (behind the trim). I replaced mine recently and it only cost £26 from a dealer.

I am not sure if there is info on here on how to change it, I found out the hard way.

Once you have locaed the Blower Motor Resistor it is a 2 min job to swap.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well had the verdict on the car, corroded backplates, dropped springs on handbrake. it needs new handbrake pads and a fitting kit, plus both backplates. got to wait til thursday as they cant get backplates til then. going to cost £215.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

wow 24 hours and not a comment. just wondered whether this was a common problem, or whether i was just unlucky. whether when its sorted, i should be good to go, or whether they may be future problems.
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

_wendy_ wrote:wow 24 hours and not a comment. just wondered whether this was a common problem, or whether i was just unlucky. whether when its sorted, i should be good to go, or whether they may be future problems.
they're probably getting too excited talking about cupholders or something Wendy... :D :P

on a serious note - get it fixed and drive the car (and enjoy it) and don't worry about if's or buts.. you can't really forecast what might go wrong - so don't worry about it... until it happens! :)
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

thanks hopefully getting it back tomorrow. have missed it last couple days. was also interested on the price, how it might compare to anyone else? first time using this indy. price seems reasonable to me
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Hi Wendy

Glad to hear that the problem with your car is not too serious. I wrote in an earlier thread that most of us who have recently bought a Zed, have experienced a problem or two and as we have bought cars that are 10 years old (depending on whether we go by the registration date or the build date :head: ) or so and will probably have some issues to resolve.

Don't forget that the previous owners, when faced with potentially expensive repairs, may have taken the opportunity to offload their problems onto some unsuspecting buyer, to avoid paying for the repairs themselves, especially when they have no emotional involvement with their cars. Despite the fact that they have been Zed owners, their cars may only have been a means of transport! :shock: :shock:

It is impossible to tell what is going to go wrong and when, so when you get the car back, my advice is to use it and enjoy it and worry about the next problem when it arises.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

the issue of old vehicles doesnt bother us. we sold a 20 year old camper to buy the car, so its quite new to us lol. we were lucky though, in the 2 years we owned the camper it flew through both MOTs with nothing needing doing.

anyway, the V5 came today and i am now officially on paper the owner. the previous owner, owned the car for 3 years so thats not bad i guess.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

_wendy_ glad that you've got the problem sorted relatively easily - hopefully you get the pleurisy cured just as quickly so you can enjoy more hood down driving.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

_wendy_ wrote:wow 24 hours and not a comment
Well I was ridiculed for suggesting that it was the handy wandy brakey thingy wingy whotsit :(
Though tI'd better keep my mouth shut but it turns out I was (almost ) right all along :twisted:

Glad it's fixed and hope you are felling better :wink:

Titan
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

thanks guys, hopefully by the end of this week, me and the car will be back fully functional.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

oh yeh, also asked about the fan and they are confident that it is as stated and just a few minute job, so they are going to do it same time,
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well originally told would get car back yesterday, but apparently the part didnt arrive until late afternoon. then today get a call to say bearing have gone, so wont get car til monday as they have to order new parts for that. aaagh.

in defence of the garage they have said they will only charge parts on extra bits, not labour and have offered us a loan car. guess its just one of those things.

want my car back though :(
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

_wendy_ wrote:want my car back though :(
Looking at the w/end weather forecast, you may have picked a good one to be Z-less :(
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

Titan wrote:
_wendy_ wrote:wow 24 hours and not a comment
Well I was ridiculed for suggesting that it was the handy wandy brakey thingy wingy whotsit :(
Though tI'd better keep my mouth shut but it turns out I was (almost ) right all along :twisted:

Glad it's fixed and hope you are felling better :wink:

Titan
Yeah....Well I got this to say..> Image
See the progress of my Project Z3 here > http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3185856/2
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well, im getting the car back in about half an hour. they have just picked hubby up to go and get it. however, they couldnt fix the fan as bmw sent the wrong part. original quoted price was £215 without the fan. then the bearings went and they quoted £50 for the part. they said they wouldnt charge for extra labour. when spoke to them today they said price is £370.

so the good point is i get my car back - finally, after a week and fingers crossed it shouldnt need anything else for est of year.
bad points - nearly double the original quote and the fan still isnt sorted.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

heres the breakdown with diagnosis and costings. apparently they only actually charged for 3 hours labour (£200)

RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

If I was you Wendy, I take that picture off right now. Your posting personal information about your self! You might as hand your bank details out on the street...just don't want to see becoming a victim of data theft!
See the progress of my Project Z3 here > http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3185856/2
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I can't be looking at the same picture as you - all I see is the details of the garage.

For the work done, I think that is pretty reasonable, and as you say, the car should be good for many more miles now. Happy zedding. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

RB007 wrote:If I was you Wendy, I take that picture off right now. Your posting personal information about your self! You might as hand your bank details out on the street...just don't want to see becoming a victim of data theft!
only thing personal is husbands surname, reg plate is on there but no different to having it on advert or on the drive.
RB007

blank.gif

Post by RB007 »

_wendy_ wrote:
RB007 wrote:If I was you Wendy, I take that picture off right now. Your posting personal information about your self! You might as hand your bank details out on the street...just don't want to see becoming a victim of data theft!
only thing personal is husbands surname, reg plate is on there but no different to having it on advert or on the drive.
fair enough :D glad here you got the zed back up and running.