Poor Starting in the Morning then fine all day

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Poor Starting in the Morning then fine all day

Post by johnjo »

I have just aquired a 1.9 1997 Z3. Strange problem it is difficult to start in the morning and if and when it does it has a terrible miss fire. This sometimes clears after a few minutes or can sometimes take several miles to clear. The rest of the day it is fine. Only happens in the morning.
Have changed coil pack plugs filters still no joy
Any ideas
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

Sparks were last changed when?
BW
Austin
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Last week with the coil packs
Problem still there

Diagnostics

Post by Guest »

Now you see the folly of changing things such as coil packs in the hope that it may cure the problem! that's the kind of thing garages do when they have no idea . . .

after spending a not-inconsiderable amount of money, yu only know what the probelem is NOT caused by!

It could be a fuel pressure (ie pump) problem, or it could be a tmeperature sensor problem, or and air leak.

You need a decent diagnostic job, rather than guessing, but first check the rubber intake trunking between the air flow sesnor and the throttle body, and also the hoses going into the inlet manifold for damage and leaks.
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Thanks for that Mike The car is showing NO fault codes. I will check the pipework however the temperature sensor might be worth a try as this fault is only when the car is started first thing in the morning. A fuel pressure problem would be there all the time I assume
thanks for your help
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

You dont say if you are losing any coolant,the missfire could be water seeping passed the headgasket overnight and causing the missfire until the motor warms up.When you changed the plugs was there any rust around the electrode area which would indicate headgasket problems.
Austin Powers

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Austin Powers »

As Mike suggested - check the air sensor and the hoses.
BW
Austin

Fuel Pressure

Post by Guest »

It's possible for the fuel pressure to be too low on the first start, due to such things as a sticky pressure regulator or a low output from the pump, either of which would increase the time taken to build up full pressure after the initial start..

A fuel pressure check would be a basic part of the diagnostic work, as these problems do not provide fault codes.