Why does it sound like a Ford Anglia

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Why does it sound like a Ford Anglia

Post by Dr Shiny »

Hello people,

I've owned my 2.8 Z3 for a few months now though I've only been driving it for the last week.
The sound which accompanies the closing of the driver's door is very un-BMW. It make a vague clanking noise which I can best liken to the noise my Ford Anglia's door made back in the late '60s.
I've looked through the knowledge base and now I know how to remove the door card but, before I do, what is the likely culprit.
I can't be the first owner to have this problem and maybe people can tell me what they found and how they fixed it when they removed their door cards?

Regards

Paul
Last edited by Dr Shiny on Sat 04 Jul, 2009 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

A Ford Anglia 105e
Is one showing his age lol

You have a good memory

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

OT- what's a Ford Anglia?

actually as a kid I used to call them 'fishing boat cars' cos my dad said they were for anglers!!!

incidentally my Z3 doors have a lovely 'clunk' sound,...... which sound more solid than my E46 coupe doors ever did

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

If its a rattle type of sound, could possibly be one of the window lifters come loose.
John Boy
2.8 Z3
evzed

Z3 roadster 2.8

noise from door

Post by evzed »

Having just bought a 2.8 with the same noise from the passenger door i have just taken the door card off and located the culprit, the main door brace tube which runs from front to back was loose there are 2 bolts at the door catch end which just needed re securing this is a common fault on Z 3's, the other main cause is the window channel at the rear comes loose , check the fixing bolt on the underside of the door it might save you some time before removing the door card hope this helps
brently

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by brently »

I too have a slightly irritating buzzy kind of rattle when the doors shut. Evzed, did you find the door card came off OK? I've always been wary of removing them as im my experience they don't seem to go back on properly, broken plastic fixings etc.
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Thank you

Post by Dr Shiny »

Thank you evzed.

I'll look at mine this weekend.

P.
evzed

Z3 roadster 2.8

door rattles

Post by evzed »

Flip out the switch blank in the door pull undo the screw behind then use a flat blade like a paint scraper if you don't have the correct panel removal tool,and slide it between the panel and door to carefully release the retaining clips, then pull the panel upwards out of the rubber window seal.
When you refit it can be a bit tricky, top tip is to spray a small amount of WD40 or that type of lube onto the window rubber, that makes the panel slide back into place then just feel the clips into the locating holes in the door and tap them into place with the side of your fist,if the window seal is not located onto the panel just tease it back into place with a thin blade screwdriver.you just need to take your time and a bit of care or you can crease the panel on the top edge near the quarter glass frame, its very weak at that point.
brently

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by brently »

Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

Thanks
JJG

blank

Re: Why does it sound like a Ford Anglia

Post by JJG »

Does anyone one no the part number for the window securing bolt that is found under the door
Mine has been lost which means the passenger window is not secured in the right position thus
Not sealing the widow glass to the rubber please PM me if you know it.
Thanks in advance
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Any M6 x 20mm bolt will fit... :wink:

Regarding the somewhat "metallic rattle", there are a number of places to look. Firstly, the gap at the top of the door frame where the window emerges from. The door cards tend to "curl" away from the door and leave a considerable gap there. This allows the glass to move excessively from out to in and back. Secondly, if that gap is excessive, it will also allow the glass to "rattle" inside the rear channel which has no "lining" like the front one. Thirdly, the winding mechanism mounting screws as well as the transverse impact bar mounting bolts may be loose. Fourthly, the nylon window slides may be worn. There are 2 of them which locate inside the winding mechanism arms at the bottom.
Cures:- check all mounting bolts and screws. Replace nylon slides after a good clean and fresh grease. The rear channel can be fitted with an aftermarket rubber "U" channel with the furry stuff on the inner side of the "U". Just make sure you don't fit anything too snug to the glass. The glass has a slight curve, and needs space to move freely up and down, so all you actually want is material to "cushion" it so it isn't glass against metal.
I used 2 strips of self adhesive velcro - the "fluffy" side - and stuck them on the side walls of the rear channel but not on the bottom face of the "U"... ie... I_I
Regarding the door card top and the gap there... If you remove the door card, and very slightly bend the inner metal frame of the door to reduce the gap, then re-fit the door card, this will help. The problem seems to be greatest at the end where the door lock pin is located. You can also easily remove the rubber weather trim on the outer side and do the same. Make sure that when the window is in the fully lowered position, it does not drop below the level of the inner and outer trims, since this will mean it is not being held between those trims and will be free to rattle. The height adjustment can be made on the winding mechanism, or alternately by gluing 2 small rubber stoppers of appropriate thickness inside the bottom of the door cavity in line with the window glass which will correctly arrest the low point of the window. Best positions are on the inner sides of the front and rear channels so you have a "balanced" stop for both edges.

This is the link to the window glass etc components...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/f/o/110.png
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Could be worse, 1950's 100E Anglias rattled even more!!!!!