Another rear plastic screen problem...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Another rear plastic screen problem...

Post by phb10186 »

Ok, so I was cleaning the car after work today, and the zip gave way on the rear screen with minimal pressure applied....

The screen is fine, but it just needs re-zipping. Clearly I have to remove it then re-fit it... is there somewhere I can get the tools to do this, or am I looing at a replacement screen.

I don't want to put a replacement screen in as the car is currently for sale, so I won't get the use from it.

Help appreciated.

-Ben
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Ben sounds like the restraining clip has come off, its basically like a big staple that crosses the zip to stop it undoing.

You will need the Zip head (which is removed once the zipped up and the staple fitted) and a new staple if it is missing.

You get the zip head and 2 of the staples (ie one spare) with the OEM replacement screen.

I'm not sure if you can get this from BMW without a whole screen?but may be worth a call otherwise you will either have to see if someone close has spare and can give you a staple / let you use their zip head. Also may be worth contacting one of the aftermarket suppliers to see if you can buy just these parts from them? (the staple should be very similar but not sure of zip head, assuming yours is OEM rear screen)

nb you may also be able to improvise, after all the zip head just attaches and pulls the zip around, you may be able to do this with just your fingers? and you could use a needle and thread to secure the zip once fastened :wink:

nb the screen should also have a silicon strip running around it for extra waterproofing, this is pressed against the roof once the zip id in place.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

yeah it's all OEM - It looks loke it needs re-siliconing. I can see the 2 staples at the centre-bottom still in place... so it's just the sip given way, but nothing broken.

Is the zip in situ, or does it some off after fitting???

Does anyone have this zip or staples that I could use.... handsome reward to follow!

I will try and source it from BMW though too. It's parted out as part 16/ 17 on the diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=54&fg=10

16 Clip, zip fastener, rear window 1 54318134598 $3.48

17 Plate, zip fastener, rear window 1 54318134599 $3.48
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The zip comes off after fitting. If the stapes are still in situ you should be able to remove and reuse if your careful but if you can get the parts from BMW which RealOEM suggests you can then you may as well get new.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

could someone please let me know if the zip for the rear scren is in situ, or if it comes off after the screen has been put in.... I can't see the part or the part number on the realOEM diagram, and I donlt want to further disrupt the screen at the moment until I actually re-zip the screen...

... also, could anyone please tell me what parts are needed to re-fit the rear screen, and what the part number for the zip is, or if it is available by some other means, where to get it. If any one has done this job and has the zip handy, I would be grateful if I could borrow it, and would of course return it!