blank.gif

Should i buy this car!?

Post by yungmannfuzz »

Hi Guys

First ever post =)

I have been looking at this car:

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/28/41282328.html

Seems like good enough value?

I could really do with your advice. The bonnet wont release, and the fan wont blow air from 1-3. It was also making a bad scrapping/rattling noise at the back.

The guy has advised that he is getting someone to look at it tomorrow.

Another thing is that it wouldnt start first go, second was fine.

Is this maybe due to the fact that it hasnt been driven in a while?!

Im worried about buying it, and it dying the next day =/

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark
texasjohn

BMW other

Post by texasjohn »

Personally I would leave it and try and find a better example.

There are quite a few 1.9 available at that sort of price.
550i Touring

BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

You can play it up - but the fan resistor fix is a 1 hour DIY job.
I think I posted a pictorial step by step 18 months ago.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Sounds like a bit of a gamble and is not that cheap considering the problems.
you could always bid him down :lol:
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

NO!!!!!!! Walk away...find another...take a pal with you who's interested in cars but NOT Zeds...that way you won't be overcome with desire and turn onto a salivating fool when faced with a nice shiny motor...not seeing all the problems that are there....or is that just me turns into a sellers dream?? :roll:
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

=/

Post by yungmannfuzz »

ok so he has phoned and is going to fix the noise (which his mechanic says is pads, or loose hub) and the issue with the fan...

still tempted. All the other examples here have more than 100k mile on them... this puts me off a little.

What do you guys think about a z3 with over 100k on it???

btw cheers so much for fast replies

Mark
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

There are clocked cars of all makes and models around & thus an indicated mileage is no guarantee in itself of accuracy.

Nothing wrong with a few miles as long as backed up evidence of oil changes. I have read the 4 cylinder engines should be good for 200k and the straight six cars good for 300k before major work needed though this isnt definitive and other issues can impact on failures. BMW engines pretty good in reliability terms IMO if cared for and not abused.

Most cars need suspension items kept on top of to ensure all is well and the Z3 is no exception. Most cars over 50-60k will need the odd bush or balljoint replaced. Z3's known for the odd spring failure. I have read the odd tale or two of folk moaning re Z3 tramlining in abscence of getting a decent laser alignment done or suspension issues sorted.

Don't understimate the need to get other stuff sorted once bought as even the most experienced used car buyers can later find items needing attention.

I have caused the following to be done on our 2001 2.2 since first ownership in March. (Mileage over 100k but losts of stamps and evidence of oil changes etc).

MOT with New balljoint & front pads (this was only work tnat needed to be done to keep it on the road legally)

Other work because I wanted it done :

Oil change (I still had 3 lights until next inspection)
Change brake fluid ( overdue)

PAS Hose & Pipes replacement ( slight leak & corosion)
Tracking
Adjust handbrake
Change heater display bulbs

As you can see from the above as cars get on in terms of age/mileage some owners can leave minor issues or genuinely fail to be aware of them.............By all means shop with low budget but allow a few hundered quid to sort any issues (whenever found), & if you like to keep a decent car.

So many hope to buy & run a prestige badged car on a shoestring and thus cars get neglected or owners sell & pass the bills on to the next owner.......This is why you need to be vigilant at bottom of market.

Judgemet & assesment help but luck is a factor too.

Oh & if you feel the 1.9 you drove is a pile of rubbish then walk away. Bonnet cables done on mine by prior keeper, (not cheap at dealer). Scrapping noise would be a concern to me too. Ask yourself why the owner hasnt sorted issues or is seemingly oblivious to them ?
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

Keep looking untill you find one thats been well looked after and you wont go far wrong,buying a problem car is a definite non starter when you are paying out £3000 plus.It will break your heart and your bank balance. :shake:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The thing I find unbelievable is someone trying to sell a car with such obvious problems without declaring them and reflecting in the price. Its fine for them to say don't worry I'll get it sorted but striaght away I would feel they are trying to get one over on me and I would bet there is plenty more issue that he is not telling you / is not aware of. If he can't be bothered looking after a car to sell it then I would not trust him at all and out of principle walk away. There are too many honest cars out there to justify buying one that you have concerns with from day one. Buy an honest car from an honest seller :wink:

(easier said than done I know but at least make sure as AW8 says that you are prepared to spend £500 on top of the selling price to get it sorted)

Good luck and keep us updated,we are very nosey :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bod

Z3 roadster 2.2i

To buy or not to buy

Post by Bod »

I think jonttt has got it spot on. In the circumstances I would also have my doubts about that mileage, that needs some looking into and verification. Be very careful, there are a lot of good and well cared for cars out there. You don't want the love of your life to turn out to be a dog. (Have I just quoted Peter Andre? :shock: )
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The biggest danger is going for a car simply as its local to you and and trying to put the bad points at the back of your mind in the hope they will get sorted. Its easy to say bugger it and go for a local car. If you have your heart set on this car then get an independant assessment done and figure in any repairs etc in the asking price. It can be frustrating if there are only one or two Zeds local to you with a lowish mileage so its all the more tempting. If your willing to travel to look at cars its opens up far more opportunities but also let down if you travel a long way so be prepared for dissapointments.

I think you will be lucky to find the perfect Zed, these cars are getting on a bit now and cars around the 3 to 4K mark will need some TLC of some sort. Like others have pointed out I do think you need a budget of 5k if looking for a 3k car to factor in repairs etc.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Post by Guest »

Just in case you want any more opinions..

You already know of problems just from 1 drive of the car therefore the owner knew also about those and did nothing about them until he feels forced to. To me, that speaks volumes about how the car has been driven and looked after. 1st reason to walk away.

Likelyhood is - there are more which are not obvious at first.

You appear to have doubts yourself as you are asking for opinions and likelyhood is you were possibly hoping people would say "go for it, you'll be fine". Thing is no-one is saying that - 2nd reason to walk away.

This guy is now rushing around and ringing you to say I'll get it fixed, he should have got things fixed before putting up for sale, not being able to get the bonnet up is a big clue that it's never been up for any maintenance - 3rd reason to walk away.

Trust your instincts.

If you're serious about having a Z3 then you'll be prepared to wait for a good one to come along, don't rush into it and be prepared to travel.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Snoops is bang on with what his saying.
The car has obvously been neglected and the guy sounds a bit of a tool in not getting it repaired for sale.
The fact the bonnet dont open is bordering comical alone.
Like i said, if it was a steal and you were good with cars or knew someone who was, it could have been a bargain but the price is not cheap in todays market and it does not justify the headache ahead.
If your heart is set on the car which it sounds like, it would be best to hold on and perhaps pay a little more or travel a little further to get a better zed. you wont regret it. :)

Post by Guest »

gypsycatcha wrote:Snoops is bang on with what his saying.
:)
Thanks for that... should have read "Snoops is bang on with what she is saying" :wink: but I'll let you off :wink:
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Whoops, sorry :oops:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

A lady Zee3 owner who knows what she is talking about, I'm in love :oops: :flower:

Tim.

Post by Guest »

TitanTim wrote:A lady Zee3 owner who knows what she is talking about, I'm in love :oops: :flower:

Tim.
I do have to confess though that 8 yrs ago when purchasing Zippy my other half made me go away and sit on a garden wall coz my heart was ruling my head in the negotiations stage, the car was straight though so no worries there, but I can understand the emotions taking over common sense.
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

guys, this has really been a great help for me.

You know what? You guys are so right, i was hoping you all would tell me to go for it.

The only other car within 100 miles is this:

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/15/40309715.html

110k on the clock, and its steep! Called the guy and said i wouldnt pay more than 4500, he said he would chat about it.

No one here want to sell a nice Zed to me in NI???!!!

I do have to say that i am still really tempted by that car, i hate that i am, but i think i have fallen in love =/

Although he still hasnt called me to say its fixed, so maybe he is not willing on spending the money.. in which case i guess i will have to wait.

Post by Guest »

yungmannfuzz wrote:
I do have to say that i am still really tempted by that car, i hate that i am, but i think i have fallen in love
IMHO you've not fallen in love with that car - you've fallen in love with Z3's and that's totally acceptable - ask anyone on here.

Why won't you travel over a bit of water to buy one? Check out Auto Trader over here - I saw a cracking one in Scotland.

Think of the drive back in it :drive :wink:
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

sorry, also add about mileage.. it seems legit. I checked the MOT certs, and they all add up.

What price do you recon the car is worth then?

I was factoring in 400/500 pounds to get it sorted. (Rust around the two door mirrors small ding at the front )
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Hey, nothing wrong in falling in love with a zed :wink:
juet want to make sure its not a one sided love affair :wink:
man, im sad :oops:
from previous expeariance I wouldnt let a high milage put me off a car.
My old e36 i had before was purchased with 80k plus on the clock and i had it for 7 years. Engine wise, i had no problems and had a little tear when i got rid of her as she served me well. Similar story with my e30.
As long as their looked after, they look after you. :D
ps, is the plate included?
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

the first car BIG, yeah.. but dont know if the MXI one is included..
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Oh god dings and rust too? you know the answer. :shake:
One guy on here picked up a really clean facelift around the 4k mark about 6 weeks ago. Really did look good and a bargain.
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Do not do it

Post by triumphted »

Hi

In case the previous answers are not clear:

I'll make it short.

I have experience of the trade.

I have experience of the Z3.

I have bought and sold more cars than you have probably been in.

You could be a dream buyer to this vendor if you continue to persue this particular piece of tin.

It could be a dog. Make reasonable assumptions about what you do not know based on what you do know.

You may need a large contingency fund for this car - do you have that?

Too many people buy cars this week because they simply cannot wait two weeks for the next one.

You are buying in the height of summer - so they will be more sparse than in November.

Have a cold shower and wake up. This is a big purchase. Read AW8's post again. Very respected member.

If you are looking for a car to improvise fine - but from what you say that is not the case. it sounds to me you have very little knowledge.

Buy as best as you can, not the first, nearest you find.
Last edited by triumphted on Sun 12 Jul, 2009 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Rust around the wing mirrors (on the base bit not the wing itself) is a common Z3 issue. Its a bit of a bitch to sort out though and you are better catching it early if you keep an eye on this area. There are some good articles on here of DIY fixes so should not necessarily put you off if reflected in the price. Same with dents, most can be removed if not over seams / paint not broken from £70. Again should not necessarily put you off.

In fact I bought mine as a "trade in" from a dealer before he had time to prep the car. Meant I got the car cheaper and knew exactly how it had been left by the previous owner. I could tell be the condition of the paintwork that it had been well looked after but had normal stone chips / curbing you would expect from all but a pampered car you would pay a real price premium for. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will never find the perfect car but just make sure you know enough about cars of this age to know what the major problems could be and understand how much time/effort/money it will cost to get the car to the standard you want. Thats whats so great about this forum, there is so much info to read, there really is no exscuse for buying a zed in ignorance. There are some great threads listing exactly what to look for in a Z (eg the issue with the wing mirrors would be on there). So I would treat this one as part of the learning curve, you need to see some bad ones to appreciate the good ones when you find them. You will know the car for you when you see it and now you have a better benchmark.

ps if you want a bit of a project then go for this car but not at anything like that price.If you are that depserate to buy one and want some assurances then buy from a dealer with at least a 3 month warranty.You will end up paying more but most can be negotiated on price especially if you don't have a trade in.

You will have to accept though that the best time to buy zeds is after summer. Very few pampered ones seem to come up for sale in summer :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Do not do it

Post by TitanTim »

triumphted wrote:Hi

In case the previous answers are not clear:

I'll make it short.

I have experience of the trade.

I have experience of the Z3.

I have bought and sold more cars than you have probably been in.

You are a dream sucker to this vendor if you continue to persue this piece of tin.

It is a dog. Make reasonable assumptions about what you do not know based on what you do know.

You will need a large contingency fund for this car - do you have that?

Too many people buy cars this week because they simply cannot wait two weeks for the next one.

You are buying in the height of summer - so they will be more sparse than in November.

Have a cold shower and wake up. This is a big purchase. Read AW8's post again. Very respected member.

If you are looking for a car to improvise fine - but from what you say that is not the case. it sounds to me you have very little knowledge.

Buy as best as you can, not the first, nearest you find.
Have you driven and seen this car for yourself?

Tim.
triumphted

Z3 roadster 2.8

Should you buy it

Post by triumphted »

Tim

Of course not. I guess you do not agree? Maybe my last post was a little blunt, i have edited the odd word and apologise if it was viewed to be blunt.

I have traded cars for years. I have met many vendors, and buyers. If someone has enough mechanical knowledge and experience of this trade and cars then you would not ask questions such as these on here.

Lets not get away from the original thread should i buy this car. I express an opinion based on my experience as i am sure you will.

It is a fair tool to make assumptions about what you do not know based upon what you do. If the vendor is selling in this condition then you have to be prepared for hidden horrors, hence my recommendation re a contingency fund, or asking are you to do the work yourself.... The vendor sounds too keen, why, have many looked and walked away? Why is he selling in this condition - does he not have the money to maintain it, cannot be bothered or has it all failed this week just before you went to look at it.

Labour costs are ok if you can do some yourself or have a mechanic. If not then add them to the parts cost and even what may appear simple tasks become expensive - Prep and paint is costly unless you have a good paint man, problems with engines or bearings, and a bonnet that cannot be opened would all tell someone who may not have deep pockets and a mechanical ability to walk away. Of course lets not forget the time factor involved i guess he wants to drive the car not toil to repair it.

Too many people buy cars that are not in the condition they are advertised at and fail to improve them. They are then sold on as is, and go thro the same process again, until they become the proverbial dog.

That's my opinion, i have only bought one bad car in 20 years and that was because i was a fool and fell in love with it. I wish someone had told me to wake up tho. I did still get away breaking even, but that was shear luck.

I have made money on cars needing work, but did so intentionally. I have always had access to trade parts mechanics paintmen tyres mots etc.

So i guess my message to youngmanfuzz is, if you buy it be aware of the issues that may be hidden, and be ready for that sick in the stomach feeling when something you did not budget for fails. You have not stated your mechanical knowledge or whether you are looking for a project. I assume not (maybe incorrectly)to either of these questions. If you are to buy this one then you must negotiate hard. It is hard to price any car without seeing it, but i would be starting negs very much sub £3k probably nearer £2.5k and not moving a great deal if you do the work, but that is me. If he does all the work well get the receipts and be strong in the haggling.

Of course the other thing to do is have an inspection by a trusted mechanic, or organisation. That could be money well spent, most are now insurance backed and i do know of people making successful
claims thro them, they are expensive tho..£150 - 400
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I guess it's similar to getting married........

.....no matter what you get it'll need some work and there have got to be both superior and inferior specimens left on the open market. :lol:

But seriously guys and gals, at 3,500 quid on such a beautiful hunk of motor vehicle -you're not exactly betting the farm.

Besides, if you managed to find this site, you're also not the run of the mill customer - more like an enthusiast and view the TLC as an added bonus. :drive
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

I don't like to see myself as a complete idiot...

I am a computer geek, so computers are my thing, but i also like to fix stuff too. This said i am not an expert in any means.. just do simple things like services, pads, shoes etc.

When i took the car out i checked a lot of things, every panel, tyre, the roof, it started first time with no smoke belting out the exhaust, ticked over very nicely. There was no gunk around the oil cap either.

I took it out, and it handled great, brakes seemed good also, no chugging, very responsive. (That said i have never driven a Z3 before)

My big issue was that the roof was down! I put the roof up the next day, and only then could i hear an almost grinding noise in the back.

Thanks guys for all the posts. Very helpful. Determined to get one now. Although the chances are it wont be this one, i need patience... NOW!!

cheers

Mark

ps no takers on selling me a car!?!
jester212

Not specified

Post by jester212 »

Got a nice MR going for sale if your interested?! :wink:

Or is that a bit out your price range?
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

prob out of my price range :(
jester212

Not specified

Post by jester212 »

yungmannfuzz wrote:prob out of my price range :(
No worries dude. 8-)
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

FYI - Ever since I got my Z ~2 years ago there is a mild roughness both audible & feelable from the differencial - especially noticeable with the roof closed and slowing down to a full stop. It got a bit better with some new fluids - but I understand that it is normal. Remember you practically sitting with your ear against it.
At first it seemed abnormal to me as well but got used to it.
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

really??? thats VERY interesting.. The guy suggested that, but i wasn't sure if he was just saying that. He seemed to think it has always been like that.

Again, maybe i need to drive another zed...
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

I assume you're in Belfast judging by the URL?
Conor, aka //M_aniac is selling his 2.0 if you're interested? At least I assume he's still selling it!
押忍!闘え!応援団
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

not far from Belfast.. Bangor. You know much about his car? The cost!?
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Hi Mark,

I have a 2000, 2.0 Oxford Green II Z3 roadster for sale. Remote central locking, PAS, ABS, DSC, black leather upholstery, electric roof, electric seats, electric windows and mirrors, Pioneer headunit and cruise control. 78,000 miles. Full service history. Eagle F1 tyres all round, has current MOT and tax.

Members on this forum will be able to confirm just how good this little car is. Here are some pics.

Conor

BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

If I were you, from the description of the car so far, I wouldn't touch it!

I would however search Conors posts reference his 2.0 Zed, see how well cared for it is, then make every effort to go and see it.

Pretty sure that Conors car is No.1 in Muppets list of shiney things!! :lol:
John Boy
2.8 Z3
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

well maybe if Conor sells me it for a good price i'l be the happiest man on this forum :D :D
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Conor's car is very clean, and is mechanically sound.
Certainly in the years I've known him it's been extremely well looked after and has never missed a beat as far as I'm aware.
He's not been in a rush to sell it, even though he has the M as well, which should say something about it as well....
押忍!闘え!応援団
yungmannfuzz

blank.gif

Post by yungmannfuzz »

unfortunately I don't think i will be able to afford it :bawl:

Sad times. I had a look at previous posts and it really is a beautiful example of z3.

All of a sudden this Pharmaceutical testing is sounding better!!

I guess I'll just have to wait some more...