Greetings etiquette

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rgf

Not specified

Greetings etiquette

Post by rgf »

My desire to own a sports car began in 1971 when my older brother had a red MG Midget. Although I was no'but a lad I remember vividly how, without fail, every Midget owner acknowledged each other with a polite wave.

38 years on I finally have my sports car, a Z3 purchased in April. (Mid-life crisis? Probably, but who cares!) Since then I have religously tried to acknowledge every other Z3 I have passed - without one returned wave.

I have tried the discrete lifting of the fingers off the steering wheel technique, the full wave and, on sunny days the fully extended arm through the roof.
Am I wasting my time?

I suspect that it might only be members of this Forum who are likely to respond. This leads me to 2 questions for you knowledgeable folk....
How many Z3s are registered in the UK?
How many Z3 owners are on this Forum?
Then I can work out the statistical chances of meeting one of you!

Yesterday I tried a new approach. On my daily commute to Leeds I often pass a silver Z3 (K8***) driven by a blonde lady. As other attempts have failed I decided to give her a flash, but to no avail.

Do forum members thinks I should perhaps use my headlights next time?

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

:lol:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

You're lucky. Apart from last week's meet, I've never seen another Z3 when I'm out in mine. Seen loads in my Citroen though. :(

Peter
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Waves

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - Z3 owners are a miserable lot!

Even on top of a deserted mountain pass in Switzerland, a UK registered Z3 approached, so we both waved - roof down - only to be met with a stoney straight ahead stare as they went past.

Perhaps they were too concerned with appearing to look 'cool.'

Maybe it's tunnel vision, or more likely, the usual British avoidance of any contact with strangers. In contrast, you can't get anything done in France without shaking hands and kissing - and that's only the blokes . . .
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I was also surprised at the lack of response when I had my Z3. I got more waves from the flat cap soft toppers (old MGs, etc) than from any "modern" convertible. I think the new cars are driven by people chasing style and the old cars are driven by people chasing fun (or should that be youth!!).

If you want to get 90%+ returned waves, get a Smart car :D . The only people who don't wave back are the ones with corporate stickers who have been made to drive them by their bosses :twisted: .
Pingu
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I've had some looks as if I'm mad but so far only had 2 waves back and a big thumbs up from a Mcoup in Banbury but had a nice smiles back from a passanger in a nice shiny blue Z last Sunday approaching Tesco's outside Banbury which my misses thought I was very sad at waving to other Z owners.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I've had a mixed response but would say about 1 in 3 drivers wave back - even if only with one or two fingers :P
Keep waving rgf or flashing (your lights) - one of these days we might pass you :devil:
Image :devil:
skattrd

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by skattrd »

Personally I usually get a wave from about half of the ones I wave at... and thats not counting "John Boy" on the way to/from work every other day :D

I get similar responses in my other cars (VW Scirocco/944) about half the ones I see wave/flash back at me. I was expecting less with the z3 but am pleasantly surprised with the number of responses I get. Maybe its just luck or living in a more rural area ....
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Plates

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Perhaps my problem is that people see my French number plates, and decide not to get involved with 'Johnny Foreigner' due to some imaginary historical insult from the French!

Never mind - I must be an honorary member of the MX-5 Owners Club, as they always wave - nice people.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've never got a wave back until today when driving home after picking a hardtop up, in fact it might not have been a wave it may have been the guy pointing at the "plonker" with a hardtop on in summer :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
italex

Z3 roadster 3.0i

waves

Post by italex »

I always wave at other z3's and also get a mixed response, but this will not deter me :)

My other half thinks I am sad but I just ignore her, :P

Alex
Z3's, one of the little pleasures in life.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

jonttt wrote:I've never got a wave back until today when driving home after picking a hardtop up, in fact it might not have been a wave it may have been the guy pointing at the "plonker" with a hardtop on in summer :D
Hey jonttttt don't blame the hard top :devil:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Greetings etiquette

Post by BonBon »

RGF "I often pass a silver Z3 (K8***) driven by a blonde lady. As other attempts have failed I decided to give her a flash, but to no avail."

I doubt flashing a blonde would due the trick :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Titan

I'll give you the ammo.............. :head:

:roflmao:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

For most people a Zed 3 is just a car. They don't see it as meaning they belong to a
some kind of Zed tribal group. It's a mode of transport to them that's pleasant on sunny days & that's it.
The only time I wave is on the very rare occasions I pass estoril M/// roadsters. Only then because they are so rare.
I don't wave at any other colours of M/// so I guess that makes me colour prejudice LOL
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

Hmmm, I thought we owners, on here anyway, were a group of like minded enthusiasts. Drivers of other makes of classic cars seem happy to acknowledge one another just like most ADIs acknowledge one another as like minded people and colleagues.

As I have already said, I've yet to spot another independent motorist driving a Z3 whilst I was driving ours. If I don't get an acknowledgement to my wave then it probably means they are not a member of this forum or any other. It wouldn't bother me.

I've waited 40 years to get my own sports car and be one of an elite group. If others don't feel that Camaraderie that I or others feel then it is their loss. No need to get huffy about it. One day I will meet a like minded Z3 motorist and it will be a pleasure. I guess if there was a glut of Z3s in my area and we all waived to one another then it would begin to get tedious.

So be sparing with your waves, it just means that the ones I get will be more meaningful.

Peter. :wave
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

Robin wrote:For most people a Zed 3 is just a car. ..........LOL

WHAT??? My god, it's like saying that golf is just a game. It's more than that, it's life and death and that's how I feel about my Z3.

It's older than the first car I bought in 1972. from 1977 until 2001 I had a new car every 2-3 years. Now when I can afford to purchase my own driving school cars I choose to buy a future classic of 10 years in age. I feel that the wait has come full circle.

Just a car? Sports cars always were, and will always be, spiritual.

But I digress...... :wink:

Peter.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

We on this forum are in a minority compared to the amount of Z3's sold, It is a mass produced car and Robin is right, for most people it is just a car to get from A to B. You don't see Mondeo drivers waving to each other. I owned a fully restored MGB Roadster about 15 years ago and other owners did acknowledge you, but that is a different type of car and owner and as time has gone by its a different world too
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

You're right Geoff. That's precisely the analogy I was going to draw.
I dont' wave at other Mondeo drivers when in my Mondeo. Zed 3's are almost as common as Mondeos.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
LEX77

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by LEX77 »

I waved at a guy in a Z3 today. The rude git made no attempt to respond.... !

I turned off all the driver aids, spun the car around 180 and chased after him for 2miles..... almost side-swiped his car bringing him to a halt and blocked the lane so he couldn't get past. I opened his door and smacked him across the face with a driving glove, and proceeded to repeatedly stamp on his nuts.

At that moment his wife started shouting "nein, nein...NEIN"..... Halten Sie an, Halten Sie mein Mann An

turned out the car was a left-hooker her husband was asleep and she had actually waved at me all along.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Silver Z3 3Litre " gone :-( "
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Robin wrote: The only time I wave is on the very rare occasions I pass estoril M/// roadsters. Only then because they are so rare.
Gosh, and there was me thinking that Estoril was one of the more common colours that the M's were produced in! :oops:

Anyway, keep waving guys and eventually one day you will get a wave back and it will make up for all the miserable sods who didn't :wink:

:drive
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Robin wrote:Zed 3's are almost as common as Mondeos.
It'd be interesting to see figures that back up that statement!
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

calbens wrote:Anyway, keep waving guys and eventually one day you will get a wave back and it will make up for all the miserable sods who didn't :wink:

:drive
AGREED!

Peter :wave
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

:wave :shrug :nono :fade :head:
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Flash, wave and smile .. you might not get a response but they will think you are mad :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney

Post by Guest »

I have waved a number of times and got the "blank are you mad" response, generally that has happened when I have been around my home/work towns... Wigan & Bolton
However I do have a theory about :wave 'ers ..... and feel they fall into either Category 1 or Category 2 Zedders.

Category 1. Those Z3 drivers that share your enthusiasm for Z3's are only too happy to wave to another Zedder.

It is a public acknowledgement and agreement that you both love your car and you want to share that enthusiasm with anyone willing to share it with you.
Then you've got the non :wave 'ers....

Category 2. Those are the "How dare you have such a cool car like mine" !! "How dare you wave at me"!! "I want to be exclusive and remote from your every day driver "
"Leave me alone I'm better than you".... you get the picture....

But until you wave you don't know which Category they are in and therein lies the problem.

Only way to get round it, have a National Ad Campaign, get people to decide if they are Cat1 or Cat2... that way at least they'll know that not all us Cat 1 drivers are completely bonkers.... :drive
and you never know, we might be able to convert a few in the process! :)
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

I dont bother.........It's not worth waving if the only result is a feeling of awkwardness due to blank reponses..........All well waving frantically, but if you do so locally there's always the chance you could later have an awkward eye contact moment, for example- when filling up at a petrol station next to someone who has prior looked at you like you are an anorak wearing car nerd &/or sad puppy &/or pervert &/or stalker &/or escaped mental patient.

Most warmth I have managed to portray so far was a vague curling of lips in reponse to a curious look from the owner of a mint dakar yellow Z3 though I suspect the owner thought I had constipation. :shock:

Fwiw I took delvery of one the first RX-8's in the UK & initially it was quite a novelty acknowledging others though my experience of warm tingles turned to rolling eyes once the masses jumped on board with blank faces. MX-5 ownership resulted in mixed experiences also.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

i use the right extended arm out the roof and if i dont get a response. i turn it into a stretch and sometimes even a scratch behind the left ear :oops: :lol:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gypsycatcha wrote:i use the right extended arm out the roof and if i dont get a response. i turn it into a stretch and sometimes even a scratch behind the left ear :oops: :lol:
I saw a guy do the same on the History Channel from the back of his Beetle :shock: .
Pingu
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Pingu and Robin are on to it. To a vast amount of Z owners (3s and 4s) it is still a "new" car, mostly for show and looking trendy (another reason they never have the hoods down).
But as the car becomes better known for its personality and drive feel. It is bought by a more enthusiastic type of driver who appreciates the fun and foibles of the marque.
That type of driver will become more common as the car becomes known for its qualities compared to modern examples.

SO hang in there chaps and chapesses, the waving, flashing, etc. will gradually increase.

I think we get a few more waves down here in upside down land because there are not quite so many on the roads, ie a bit rarer
WAVE ANYWAY --- They have to be taught somehow. :head:
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

As some may know I am going to the meeting in Germany in September that clashes with the French trip. In order to appreciate the trip more I have registered with z3-forum.de and have been bowled over with their enthusiasm for the Z3 and for their warm welcome to me.

To quote one of the guys that welcomed me he said this, "Its a hobby that connect us all over the world. All Languages, all colors."

I think it says it all really. There are over 50 cars meeting and around 85 people. That's a hell of a lot of waving.

AND, I still have not met anyone whilst driving my Z3. Seen two today whilst teaching; the restraint from waving is even getting my pups giving me sideways glances when we see one.

I'm not going to say any more on the subject of acknowledgement. There are those that want to and those that don't. Neither camp should try to criticise the other for doing what they want.

"In my dreams I see wave after wave of Z3s" anon

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I got a wave back from a silver Z3 this morning. :D

I find that Z3s round me will sometimes acknowledge, but I have given up with Z4s. If I see a Z4 when I'm away, then I might try a wave, but they somehow don't seem to see the family resemblance. :(

Keep waving. It's fun. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Robert T wrote:I got a wave back from a silver Z3 this morning. :D

I find that Z3s round me will sometimes acknowledge, but I have given up with Z4s. If I see a Z4 when I'm away, then I might try a wave, but they somehow don't seem to see the family resemblance. :(

Keep waving. It's fun. :wink:

Cheers R.
About half of my waves to z3s get a return response. Every time I've waved at a z4 I've had a blank look so I don't bother with them anymore. Maybe I should try again with the 1st gen z4's now that there's a new one out :roll:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Luv your little waving emoticon Peter. lol.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

kruisn wrote:Luv your little waving emoticon Peter. lol.
There's loads more of them behind the "View more emoticons" text :devil:
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Greetings etiquette

Post by 100GRA »

rgf wrote:Since then I have religously tried to acknowledge every other Z3 I have passed - without one returned wave.

I have tried the discrete lifting of the fingers off the steering wheel technique, the full wave and, on sunny days the fully extended arm through the roof. Am I wasting my time?

On my daily commute to Leeds I often pass a silver Z3 (K8***) driven by a blonde lady. As other attempts have failed I decided to give her a flash, but to no avail.
I'll wave if I see you around York, rgf. I think the proportion of other Z3 drivers responding to waves will increase over the years as the cars become older and rarer and thus the people still driving them will more likely be enthusiasts, rather than just people using them to get from A to B.

I wonder if your blonde lady is called Kate (K-eight)?

Going off at a slight tangent (as I am always prone to do when car registrations are mentioned), the 1903 registration T 8 (which was the eighth number to be issued in Devon) was the first ever personalised number in the sense that the owner bought it to reflect his name. It was obtained by the music hall star of the day, Harry Tate (T-eight), and was later in the Tate family (of Tate and Lyle, and Tate Gallery, fame) before being sold on.

Original single letter registrations with the letter before the digits (as opposed to some reverse numbers more recently auctioned off by the DVLA such as 8 T) are very rare these days, of course. I am fortunate to have on my other car G 181, which was the 181st number to be issued in Glasgow in around February 1904.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Hi
Robert T wrote: but I have given up with Z4s. If I see a Z4 when I'm away, then I might try a wave, but they somehow don't seem to see the family resemblance.
It is the same over here :puzzle:
Maybe some Z4s members could explain the fact...

Cloz
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

rgf wrote
On my daily commute to Leeds I often pass a silver Z3 (K8***) driven by a blonde lady.
Funnily enough I saw K8 this morning eastbound on the A64 as I was heading into Leeds from the A1 - my daily commute. I was in the Citroen so no waving or flashing.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi Cloz - you wrote
Robert T wrote:
but I have given up with Z4s. If I see a Z4 when I'm away, then I might try a wave, but they somehow don't seem to see the family resemblance.
It is the same over here :puzzle:
Maybe some Z4s members could explain the fact...
I could simply say that the Z4's are going so fast we don't get chance to wave :D'
IMHO I think that a lot of Z4's have been bought by people wanting a quality car for traveling from A to B, rather than by a Zed enthusiast. My wife drives hers daily to and from work but wouldn't dream of waving at another Zed. When we are out in the Z3 she has been known to wave - when prompted. :roll:

I always try and flash and/or wave at any other Zeds when I am out. I rarely get a response from other Z4's but occasionally a Z3 has waved back when I've been in the Z4.

I'll keep waving / flashing as it does put a smile on my face when another Zed waves back.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

kruisn wrote:Luv your little waving emoticon Peter. lol.
Thanks Kruisn. Appropriate to the thread I thought.

Peter.
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Interesting topic this as it mirrors the kind of debate regularly held on a Harley riders forum.

When I started riding Harley's a number of years ago they were comparatively rare compared with today. Then it was the exception not to get a wave, today its still common but is on the decline.

The general consensus is that its the kind of person now buying Harley's. It used to be 'bikers' that bought Harley's now its an image thing, weekend warriors that buy a new Harley and all the regalia that goes with it and have no historic camaraderie.

I am off to Ashbey de La Zouch this afternoon to look at a 'Z' found via Pistonheads. If all goes well I will be winging my way back home with it on Friday, it will be interesting to see if any waves come my way.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

COME VIA VERWOOD, DORZ3T!!! You can be my first waver!!! haha

BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Well if you wave to me I'll wave back :wink:
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

OK, and good luck with the car.

Peter
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

All the best with your four wheeled Harley Z Batterzee. Hope you get many waves. lol
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Zed Carer wrote:I could simply say that the Z4's are doing our hair so we don't get a chance to wave :D'
Fixed that for you :wink:

:devil:
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Well 'Z' is now in my garage and I can tell you not one wave, not from a driver that is. Had plenty of the 'water' type when the heavens opened up. :( Even so the drive home was enjoyable, can understand what this 'Z' business is all about. 8-)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

RobBruce wrote
Zed Carer wrote:
I could simply say that the Z4's are doing our hair so we don't get a chance to wave :D'

Fixed that for you :wink:'
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If only you could see how follically challenged I am - that's probably why I've got the Z3 and my wife has the Z4.
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

BATTERZEE wrote:Well 'Z' is now in my garage and I can tell you not one wave, not from a driver that is. Had plenty of the 'water' type when the heavens opened up. :( Even so the drive home was enjoyable, can understand what this 'Z' business is all about. 8-)
Enjoy, Saturday is rumoured to be nice, very nice and warm. Take advantage.

Peter
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It seems that zedders round here are a bit of an odd bunch. There seem to be those who have an enthusiasm for the car and they will generally wave, then there seem to be those who buy them as fashion statements (round here they tend to be blonde girlies, but there are some blokes amongst them too) and they never wave. :(

In contrast, I was out in Froggy earlier and got waves from a Cobra and an MGA as though it was the most natural thing in the world. I probably confused the living daylights out of a bloke in an Atlanta Z3 (well you can't confuse the goldeneye out of someone can you?) by waving to that as well, but what the hell. :D

So keep waving - even if only to see the confused looks on peoples faces. Maybe we should have a prize for funniest reaction induced by waving. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc