brake lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

brake lights

Post by rayboy »

Brake lights have failed but boot mounted brake light still works. I'm going to check the bulbs but strange if both have blown at once. Could it be the switch or a fuse? Is switch an easy fix?
Thanks for any advice.
Rayboy
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Brake Lights

Post by motco »

As a new owner myself, I don't have any specific Z brake light knowledge but as with any car you need to firstly check the bulbs - as you've already concluded - and then try to trace the supply cables back to where they part from the supply to the high level light. Two possibilities are: a common cable to the lower ones being damaged after the split from the high level light, or a loss of the earth return from the housings to the chassis/body. It is possible that there is a separate fuse to the HL light to ensure some sort of brake light works in all conditions. Look at the fuse box too. A cheap meter would help; look at Maplins. Good Luck! ...let us know what you find. :pc
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Both brake-light bulbs had blown at once! Replaced bulbs and all OK.Can only conclude some kind of power surge but damned if I know why.
Any ideas? :?
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Nope, sorry. Except to say that the voltage regulator in the alternator might be a bit slow to catch transients when a fat load is switched off - headlights, say - and weakened-by-age bulbs will tend to blow at that time. C'est la vie old bean! :lol: