Does this seem cheap to anyone else

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Does this seem cheap to anyone else

Post by peterandjenny »

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1285729.htm

went on pistonheads today ( v6 engine !)

if it was closer would go and have a look as we would like the 2.2

No mention of service history. Anyone live in cumbria ?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

That's very cheap indeed almost too cheap :!:

It could just be someone quite inocently selling as they don't know the true value and without offending the female fraternity it is a women who is selling it who maybe clueless so to speak :roll:

Worth a look though as a bargain could be had there.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

aceman wrote:...it is a women who is selling it who maybe clueless so to speak :roll:
Surely that is evidenced by the V6 description ?
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Looks cheap to me!!!
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

looked on the insurance database

Post by peterandjenny »

comes up as insured but

BMW Z3 2.2 (01 ON) AUTO SPORT CONV

an automatic ? not in the pictures
mikey

Not specified

Post by mikey »

hmmmm..................... thats a good £1 - 1.5k under priced isnt it?
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Is that true that it has a lsd?
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

PVR wrote:Is that true that it has a lsd?
Left Side Door.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

PVR wrote:Is that true that it has a lsd?
I think they have a torsion diff like the 2.8's but slightly lower ratio.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

I didn't know that the 2.2i came with a V6 engine which they state
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

It never did

Post by peterandjenny »

Very tempted but it is too far away just to go and look
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Stolen ? or just trying to get one back on the other half ?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks a bargain to me, could be genuine and they are basing there asking price on trade in values / need to sell quick.

You know you want it :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Sounds very fishy -- V6 - I dont think so -- could be a typo :head:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

I have spotted that there are ALWAYS some very cheap cars on Pistonheads. I think that its just a scam to get details from you or a more elaborate attempt to con you from your money.

Has anyone phoned to see if its an English woman and not Namenya Bangfufluf from PhoneJacker? :puzzle:
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

In order to 'shed some light' on it I've written to 'Kathleen' in Cumbria asking a few questions...

Bearing in mind my missus only drives automatics (and tiptronics) this could be a real steal...

Lets see what happens...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Bog standard 2.2i sport. Only the suspension is really sporty - the logoed wheel and knob were fitted to a large proportion of the zed range. Sounds like someone who doesn't know anything about the car other than what they were told by the previous owner, especially if they think it has a V6 - all 6 cylinder the zeds were straight sixes. If it is genuine then it is a very good price (for the buyer!).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Richardenigma wrote:In order to 'shed some light' on it I've written to 'Kathleen' in Cumbria asking a few questions...

Bearing in mind my missus only drives automatics (and tiptronics) this could be a real steal...

Lets see what happens...
Did 'Kathleen' reply? There's a strong fishy smell about this car. :wink:
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Would like to know also

Post by peterandjenny »

still wanting to buy this if it is genuine but have not got the time to go and have a look :(
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

OK...Kathleen has replied (last night and it went in to my junk folder which is not rare but...)and its a mixture of genuine extra data and additional 'odd' langauge...perhaps the most telling thing is I know the registration number (Y215 SEO) from the extra pictures!

I asked the following 'standard'questions:

Does the car have a Full Service History?

How many owners has it had?

How long have you had it?

Any reason for selling it?

The answer was:

Thank you so much for your response and for your interest in buying my car. I am sending you a few pics and a list of options, so you can make a better image on it. You can see more pictures going to :

http://flickcabin.com/public/viewset/12332

Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Safety Belt Pretensioners

Auxiliary heating, Electric heated seats, Leather Seats, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Windows, Tilt Steering Wheel. AM/FM Stereo, Cassette Player, CD Multichanger

Title is clear ,no accidents. Extremely well kept and very well maintained.
The car has valid Mot&Tax until 06.2010. 4 previous owners, 2 keys.

If interested indeed in buying it and have the funds available, please let me know and we'll set up a meeting at your proposal or I can also have the car delivered up to your address.
Thank you.
Irene

Here are my concerns:

English isn't good...not a problem in its own right but...

Answered the previous owners question, an oblique answer to the service history question and ignored the 'how long' and 'why are you selling' questions which again are not issues in their own right!

Its Irene not Kathleen...again not that unusual as we sometimes have different names we use informally and formally...

Asking 'if I have the funds available' is an interesting comment to make...

Offering to deliver the car to my address is also very eager...

So what do you think?

So what's next from my perspective?

I am going to ask for an address for the car so I can get the RAC to carry out a mechanical inspection of the car (hope its in Cumbria where the pistonheads advert says it is)...standard stuff in this day and age and a prudent course of action. I will ask again about the service history as I believe this information is vital in assessing whether the price is good or not!
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

If you are really interested, I would not post too many details at this stage as someone might "sniper" you and get to the car before you, assuming it is a true car.
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

I am genuinely interested and if someone was to behave like that then so be it...I am a fatalist at heart and if this car is meant to come to me it will...I believe individuals make choices and I have faith that on balance we all generally behave properly...but thanks for the warning anyways!

However if someone did...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Richardenigma wrote:If interested indeed in buying it and have the funds available, please let me know and we'll set up a meeting at your proposal or I can also have the car delivered up to your address.
I don't like this sentence one bit. The phraseology is all wrong. It sounds far too much like the "I have a million quid I need to get out of the country" type emails to me. Might be genuine, but I'd exercise caution if I were you, particularly about giving your details and handing any money over.

Cheers R.
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

You echo my concerns...I will not be parting with any financial information any time soon :-)
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Have you done an Askmid to check if it is insured now?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Richardenigma wrote:.....
However if someone did...
:roflmao:

They would not be "poplular" on here and this site is half the fun of owning a Z :D

A quick lookup at the DVLA (via Direct line) confirms that reg as

BMW Z3 2.2 (01 ON) AUTO SPORT CONV 2171cc 2DR

There is definately something about the reply that I would be wary of (to be honest intrigued by). I would like to think I'm wise to most of the "well known" sales tricks out there (its part of my job to be :wink: ).

Its an old trick to sell a car as a "private lady" by a trader. The car is left registered to the original owner by the trader but it is a trade sale. They do this for numerous reasons, one is psychology as people think they are buying from a niaive woman but also so they can sell without a warranty.

I actually have no problem with traders selling effectively as private sale without warranty but they should be honest about it. The more worrying thing is that if this is a "trader" they are only doing it to make money and at that price if its "genuine" I don't see how they can. Would certainly riaise my concerns but would not necessarily stop me buying it if everything stacks up. I would certainly see the car in person at the registered address as per the V5 (that would "flush out" a dealer).

At the end of the day so long as you do not give any financial details there is no harm in looking into this.

If it were closer and there was a little more proof of a scam / con I would have some fun with this.

The last one we had at work involving a commercial property ended up with a staged meeting in a train station in Preston and "armed" arrest by the police of the "seller" from London. They guy is currently serving 6 years for serious fraud :D nb the "armed" bit was overkill as the chief constable was involved and I think wanted to "show off". We didn't know it was going to be armed police so I sh!t myself :shock:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Does read dodgy (the email), who says "title is clear", "power locks" and "power windows" in this country? The way the add says "funds" and can deliver the car. My response would be to answer the questions and give a phone number to find out more. Also says from Irene but the ad says Kathleen??

Would be very surprised from the way that is worded if it turned out to be genuine.
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

I think you've 'nailed' it John as far as the balance between 'intrigue & concern'...if this is a dealer then adding the contrivance that the lady is foreign who struggles with English as arguably too much but perhaps I underestimate who devious people can be...

Getting the postal address is the key here...once I have that data I have all sorts of opportunities to corroborate with alternative sources!

We shall just have to see what happens next...

I haven't used Askmid (didn't know about it to be brutally honest)...why was does it say???
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

"tilt steering wheel" really? I don't have the handbook for my 2002 2.2 Sport but I cannot find any tilt mechanism.

It's said to be auto on the database, but it is shown in the pictures to be manual.

Smellier than a deads fish on an antique fishmonger's slab. :?
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

Would be very surprised from the way that is worded if it turned out to be genuine.
I agree hence at the moment all I've expended is some time and curiosity...and I have some of the former and loads of the latter to play with :-)
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

Smellier than a dead fish on an antique fishmonger's slab.
Is this a simile or a metaphor? ;-)

I agree but warrants some investigation...
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Richardenigma wrote:
Smellier than a dead fish on an antique fishmonger's slab.
Is this a simile or a metaphor? ;-)

I agree but warrants some investigation...
It's a Blackadderism! :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Richardenigma wrote:The car has valid Mot&Tax until 06.2010.
Well it certainly doesn't have tax until then.
DVLA wrote:Date of Liability 01 12 2009
Date of First Registration 05 07 2001
Year of Manufacture 2001
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2171CC
CO2 Emissions 222g/Km
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour SILVER
Vehicle Type Approval M1
As you can't apply for tax until the month in which it is due...

Now it might be that it has MOT until then, or it might be another porky pie.

Cheers R.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

how interesting this one, while sat here at my pooter i googled Kathleen Meehan, coming up as a proffesor in the US (not her then). tried the name in facebook and a few people but none in uk nothing there either then. maybe it is irene then.
strangely though the zed looks good. shame the car is not more central and a few of us could turn up on mass for a viewing.
watching with interest to the outcome of this :shock:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

You know what will happen, Richard will buy it and it'll be the steal of the century (hopefully not literally!) :D

Getting the description wrong is no real issue, its hard to find a trade advert with an accurate description of the features of the Z. I'm still looking out for 4 doors though :wink:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

motco wrote: It's said to be auto on the database, but it is shown in the pictures to be manual.
This was my concern too. I'm looking out for a 2.0 or 2.2 auto for a work colleague and thought this car was the answer however the pics show otherwise. Had the pics shown an auto then I'd have taken a look at the weekend (if the car is indeed in Cumbria :roll: )

Bottom line - cars are usually cheap for a reason. In this case there seem to be too many unanswerable questions.

...however if anyone finds a 2.0 or 2.2 auto that's worth a second look then please let me know :wink:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

myredzed wrote:......
Bottom line - cars are usually cheap for a reason. In this case there seem to be too many unanswerable questions.
Ah, but there is always the chance of a real bargain, human nature, thats why people fall for cons like this (if it is a con).

There was a classic one doing the rounds last year with apartment rentals. "seller" was some kid in africa who would "pinch" some pictures from an estate agents advert of a nice looking city centre apartment. They would advertise it at some stupidly cheap rent. They would state that the rent was cheap on the basis they needed a "good tenant" who had to prove they could pay the rent by transfering a months rent to one of the tenants relatives by Western Union. All they needed to do was show the proof of transfer to the landlord so he knows they are able to pay the rent and he would arrange a viewing on the basis they must be a good tenant and they could have it at a reduced rate. Of course the info on the Western Union document sent to the "seller" as proof was enough for them to commit a fraud and before they knew it people lost their money :head:

The receptionist at our Manchester Office nearly fell for this and I just happen to overhear her asking people were the nearest Western Union was and stopped her :shock:
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

...spookily enough I'm just off to Western Union to wire the money for my seat on the next Shuttle flight...a real bargain at £1,000...didn't know they could land in Nairobi mind you...might get a bit of a tan! ;-)
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

And at last the truth emerges...

Hi Richard,
It is in perfect condition in and out,100% HPI clear with a certificate to confirm,full service history.
I have worked in UK for the last 1 year and I've purchased the car there.. My company wanted me back home, so currently I'm in Madrid,Spain and the car is currently here with me.I can`t use it here because it has the wheel on the right side and it would also cost me too much to register here in Spain.
It is still registered in the UK and since I have absolutely no use for it I am looking for a fast sale( this is why the low asking price)
I can ship the car from here directly to your home address and I am also willing to cover all delivery expenses.
I look forward to your reply
Regards

Before I give my opinion I thought some of you might be interested? :D
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Whereabouts in Spain is Cumbria then? This sounds like a reverse of the old scam where someone in Spain wants to buy your car and will somehow con your bank details out of you by promising to fill your boots with gold. :puzzle: Run! Run while you still can... :clown:
Adamskib

blank.gif

Post by Adamskib »

So, how does this get reported to the police?

I would hate anyone to lose cash to a shyster!
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Gameover! saw a similar ad not so long ago and the story was pretty much exactly the same, i ended up saying I was so keen i'd rather go over to germany (where they supposidly were) to collect the car....funnily enough i heard nothing back
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I'm afraid these cons are prolific, really is a case of buyer beware.

The give away is normally in the english (I feel sorry for genuine foreign nationals in this counrty who get tarnished by these conmen) and to be honest this is one of the better ones, but easily uncovered with the right questions and process. I have seen far far worse but they still seem to work.

The marvels of the internet is that a 15 year old kid can do this in some internet cafe in africa. It only takes one out of millions of people to fall for this and they win :head: absolutely no come back on them :head: :head:

I treat it as a game, one nil to Richard :D

Personally I would go for the slam dunk and play along. The last one I did I kept on asking loads and loads of stupid questions, then agreed to transfer the money.I had visions of them at least wasting time /money traveling to pick the money up. I even got an email telling me the money had not arrived (cheaky or what), I send back the best imitation of a search worm (thats what I called it anyway :wink: ) even had an "interpol" search reference on it and confirmation of location aquisition. They guy probably thought nothing of it but made me chuckle for a day thinking of him panicing :D

but you had better report it to Pistonheads as a fraud as well before someone does fall for it.

ps you could ask them were abouts in Spain as you work for interpol and can arrange for it to be collected with payment - bet you never hear back from them though, confirm the transfer and waste their time :D

pps does interpol still exist :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

skeete wrote:I have spotted that there are ALWAYS some very cheap cars on Pistonheads. I think that its just a scam to get details from you or a more elaborate attempt to con you from your money.

Has anyone phoned to see if its an English woman and not Namenya Bangfufluf from PhoneJacker? :puzzle:
Looking back at the previous posts on this thread I think skeete takes the prize :D
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

if this is a con then , who's car is being used for the ad ??? id be well peed of if my car was being flaunted by conmen. the owner ought to know. the reg is clear to see and sure those garages are not in spain.
any you guys out there able to get in touch with the owner by certain means :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Canman, who do you think we are :shock:

Ok then :D

Picture will have been copied from a previous advert (probably including the description whihc would have been wrong then as well :head: ).

They just copy current ads and use them in the future (does not have to be from pistonheads).

My silver ///M may be up again :roll:

With pistonheads its free to advertise unless you want a premium advert (9 instead of 3 pictures) so you don't even need a dodgy credit card :head:
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

surely even the boys in blue are on here and are zed owners and have access to this type of info :D

:pc

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Canman wrote:surely even the boys in blue are on here and are zed owners and have access to this type of info :D

:pc
I think they have just all had there rists slapped for illegally using the Police National Computer :oops:
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Doughnuts flying everywhere then .... :D
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

The game is still afoot...

Being the jet-setting kinda guy I am... :D...here is my reply

Hi Irene,

Excellent news and a serendipitous coincidence...I'm in Madrid this weekend attending a boring work seminar and any excuse to get out for a while and come look at the car would be most welcome!

Let me have a contact address and telephone number so I can reach out to when I get there (I'm arriving Friday evening)

Would you object to having the money in local currency as I have a bank account in Madrid?

Is this worm too juicy I ask myself? Am I confusing myself with someone who gives a...? Where's that keepnet?