Dam!!! rear window went tonight

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dam!!! rear window went tonight

Post by Hang_em_high »

Well I suppose it had to happen. Been out in the car this afternoon with the hood down enjoying the weather,but didnt put it up when I got home.Went out to put the hood up this evening and .............CRACK as it was going up :head:
If I could find one cheap enough I'd have a go and fit it myself after reading Jontt's comments,but they all seem to be about £150 fitted and £135 suply only :roll:
Anyone got a spare rear window kicking around :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Try the USA sites, I'm sure someone said they are a lot cheaper from there but with current exchange rate / possible import duty I'm not sure.

You could try getting a second hand one from a breakers. You can reuse the metal staples to secure the zip if you remove them carefully but you would need to improvise a Zip (to pull the zip around to fasten the new one in place). I've seen the accessories you get with a new OEM screen for sale on eBay for about £15 which I presume include the Zip and new staples. You would then just bead silicon sealer under the rubber grip instead of the normally supplied strip :wink:

Of course the easy route is to fork out £150ish for an OEM one :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

http://www.emiata.com/Z3Window.asp for $85 + $22 international postage or about £67.00 total
Last edited by motco on Fri 09 Oct, 2009 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
GROMMIT

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by GROMMIT »

Soft tops somewhere in North London fixed mine on my 2.8 about 4/5 years ago. It took them under an hour and was under £130 from what I remember. I wouldn't bother trying to save yourself £50 doing it yourself as i've heard they're a proper nightmare and you need 2/3 people to do it. Add the cost of a fitting kit etc and it'll probably work out just as cheap to pay someone to fit it for you.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Grommit they are a doddle to fit.

Does need two people (one just holds the replacement window while you line it up and zip it).

First time takes about 30 min while you figure out what to do but I reckon I could do one in 15 min now :wink:

Instructions here

http://ackthud.com/shawnfogg/window.htm

I have only fitted OEM but the USA one for half the cost and easy fit yourself sounds good.

Just make sure it comes with (based on kit that comes with OEM replacement window):

- detacheable zipper
- new staples to secure (although you could use the old ones if your careful)
- new sealing strip (although you could use silicon sealer)
- plastic trim "spreader" (you could use a wooden spatula / fingernails)

The most important thing is the zipper otherwise I would imagine its a nightmare to zip the new one on :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Decided that im going with Jonttt on this and will be fitting it myself. My local stealer got the price down to £230 fitted or supply only £156. Found a screen on fleabay for £117 + £15 postage,saving me £100,not to mention £20 of fuel and a day of my time to go and have it fitted.
Will let you know how I get on fitting it once I've got it :)