For that real deep clean "underneath the arches"

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chas 1

Z3 roadster 2.0

For that real deep clean "underneath the arches"

Post by chas 1 »

I have looked, undone stuff, but I still am no nearer getting the rear wheel arch liners out for that deep clean. I know, I know, but I've not had it long and now its been serviced, improved, etc and I just fancy getting it looking as good as I can. Even under the wheel arches. Anyone done this who knows the secret? I have found 2 nuts and washers, undone them , and - nothing. Thanks in advance.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Theres at least 2 securing them to the bumper, some down near the sill (and underneath), and a few following the arc of the arch.

They need a bit of jiggling about to remove, but it's definitely more than 2 screws!
chas 1

Z3 roadster 2.0

realoem sorted this out

Post by chas 1 »

Hi sorry peeps I searched without luck but then remembered realoem, which has made all very clear. Sorry.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

If you can get them out it would be good to hear how. I tried and failed after removing all the fasteners. They wouldnt budge an inch.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Liners

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The front ones are easy enough, if you use your eyes and find all the fasteners, but the rears require removal of the bumper first.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

I took mine off a few weeks ago (pre99 1.9) - 4 fasteners to remove (but only 2 inside the wheel arch)

1. Jack up, axle stand and remove wheel
2. Remove 2x self tap hex head inside wheel arch
3. Remove 1x self tap hex head at front of arch (goes vertically through sill)
4. Remove 1x self tap phillips head at back of arch (goes vertically through bumper)
5. Wrestle with liner - but be careful not to rub grit on the paintwork as you pull it out (!)

I found that mud only collects at the front where it fits into the sill. A pipe cleaner is useful to clear the last few lumps
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

I did all four of mine when I first got the car - also got the rears out with a little bending of the plastic - it feels like it may be getting bent a bit too far but was fine - loads of gunk in the front of the rear sills.

I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I took my inner rear wheel arches off my 2.8. There are two bolts inside the wheel arch then one at the back and one at the front, and I didn't have take the bumper off. The bolt heads which are on the front and rear of the wheel arch are removed from underneath, so you have to be under the car to remove them. Hope this helps.
chas 1

Z3 roadster 2.0

many thanks

Post by chas 1 »

Thanks to you all, realoenm shows the front and rear screws coming down from inside rather than up from outside , all is now clear.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rears

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I never managed to get my rears off, but bent them enough to clean the dirt out, and while the fronts were off used a hose to wash out the sill cover through the fronts wheel arches.

They certainly recover well from being bent a lot..
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

After reading this today I had another go on my car and the rear arch came off really easy. 4 screws undone, detach the front and rear from the bumper/sill and pull it down and inboard and jobsagoodun.

Its given me access to the external temperature sensor, which seems to have an intermittent connection :puzzle:
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Deano, you can try cleaning up the connections (a new one is expensive).

Mine failed as it showed -10degrees and would vary up and down a bit but never within 10 degrees of actual temp :shock:

Nb. to non ///M owners its a "trait" of the ///M that BMW chose to put this sensor in such a wierd hard to get at place, I think in non ///M's the sensor is in the front bumper and the part is cheap :head:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster