FYI - to run on spare must deactivate traction control

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

FYI - to run on spare must deactivate traction control

Post by BonBon »

I had a flat yesterday. :(

After putting on the smaller spare tire the car would not accelerate.
Amid all the confusion it took me a while to realize that I needed to deactivate the traction control (ACS).

I looked and could not find this instruction in any of the manuals.

Has anyone heard anything about this?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, I am sure I have read that in the manual somewhere. :rtm:

I am guessing that the spacesaver has about half as much grip as a normal tyre as it is half as wide and that this confuses the ASC as the diff will not apply power evenly between the two wheels, so it will back of the engine revs. Did you see the ASC light come on?

You are supposed to do the same in the snow, but I normally leave mine on as I want the electronic LSD bit to help me. I would turn it off if I found the car was backing the power off when I didn't want it to though.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Yes you have to deactivate it or the traction control will operate on every bend, imperfection or change of speed.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Hi, they should be a sticker under the boot floor which tells you to do this.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I could not find anything about this anywhere.

My indy (by phone on his day off) did not know what was going on either.

I learnt the hard way :oops:

I am curious - does anyone have a picture of the label which is meant to be on the boot floor?
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: FYI - to run on spare must deactivate traction control

Post by mich »

BonBon wrote:I had a flat yesterday. :(

After putting on the smaller spare tire the car would not accelerate.
Amid all the confusion it took me a while to realize that I needed to deactivate the traction control (ACS).
That is well worth knowing. Thank you :)
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Owner's Manual

Post by Mike Fishwick »

As I keep telling people - read the Owner's Handbook! At the top RH corner of page 75 it states clearly:

'If the spare wheel has been fitted, switch off the ASC+T'

I often think that people these days - particularly young males - are incapable of reading a greater amount of text than a classified advertisement, unless it is pressented to them on a screen!

The reduced width if this spare is only part of the story - it is also of smaller diameter than the 'real' wheels, so if fitted on the front the ABS will think that it is slipping, due to its higher speed, and reduce braking effort on that wheel. This is one of the reasons we are told to drive at a reduced speed when using the spare.

If fitted on the back, in addition to this problem the ASC will also think that it is slipping, reduce power (no effect) and then apply the brake to slow it down and feed more torque to the other wheel.

Apart from all this, the smaller diameter will mean that the differential gears are operating all the time, which does them no favours.

I put my primary protection in the use of Ulttraseal, which is a far better idea than the M Mobility Kit, use of which virtually wrecks en expensive tyre, and can place you in danger while you use it.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

BonBon, can i ask , what did you do with the "dead wheel" ? did it fit in the boot? :|

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I use this online manual as reference and it does not say anything.
http://home.arcor.de/z3qp/anleitung/anleitungengl.pdf

Neither does the Bentley!

The flat can only fit in the passenger seat :wink:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Manual

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My manual is the 1998 issue - the info is probably somewhere else in the 1999 version, but it's so cumbersome to find in pdf form. You cannot beat a real book, as even when looking for something else, various other bits of information stick in your head.

It's like the craze in the MoD during the 'eighties for microfiches instead of real manuals, which was eventually scrubbed.

It's interesting that BMW are rather reticent about telling us what to do with the dead wheel, and never even refer to the shaped white plastic bag in the tool kit - never mind where to put it! That's what the passenger's knees are for . . .
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Interestingly, on page 75 of my UK manual, it states, with a big /!\ just after the bit about rocking the car and snowchains:
If the spare wheel has been fitted, switch off the ASC+T. Otherwise, the smaller tyre diameter on the spare wheel will impair all functions of the ASC+T.
This paragraph is omitted from both the version bonbon has linked to, and the other US versions of the manual I have as PDFs.

So before you start preaching the gospel, Mike, you might like to check that it is in ALL versions of the manual. :roll:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Who cares - my goal was to save as little as one young male colleague from the anguish I had Friday PM prior to sundown.

BTW - I'm an old male with the wrong manual. :wink:
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

My Manual is dated 1999 and page 75 is part of the section devoted to clock/computer.

Page 78/79 has details of ASC/DSC but with no mention of spare wheel use.

Page 161/166 is how to use the spare wheel but I have not seen any mention of ASC/DSC in this section.

So maybe it depends on the version of handbook that came with your car.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Gospel?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I'm not in the preaching business, Robert, just repeating what it states in my Owner's Manual.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

Well at least something came out of this
I read the online manual
And discovered my interior mirror has a automatic dimmer 8-)

I do agree with Mike regarding reading manuals
Most of us dont :dunce: Slap my wrist

Do you blame us though
When the car is on the drive with roof off :D :D :drive

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

It seems there are a few versions of the manual. In mine the bit about turning off the ASC-T is on page 141 (Wheel Change) center paragraph half way down. Page 75 is Heating and Ventilation/air conditioning
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

As always Mike you deliver your message with the grace and tact of an elderly male trying do the splits whilst giving rhetoric on the meaning of imigration.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Unrepentant!

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Oh dear - you just can't please all the people all the time, can you?

Perhaps our difference is based on age - at 18 going on 65 I was raised well before the idiocy of being PC, and worrying about 'What will people think etc' so no longer worry about the reactions of others very much!

Certain people seem to have left their sense of humour at home, or are of the 'Positive criticism' brigade - in other words looking for anything to whine about . . .

If people cannot see the humour in my comment regarding reading amounts of text, then that's their problem. Perhaps I have tings wrong, and should be thrown off the forum - if anyone thinks so, just contact the Forum Admin - help yourselves.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Manual

Post by Ian_C »

Mike Fishwick wrote:My manual is the 1998 issue...
...It's interesting that BMW are rather reticent about telling us what to do with the dead wheel, and never even refer to the shaped white plastic bag in the tool kit - never mind where to put it! That's what the passenger's knees are for . . .
Interesting; in my 1996 Owner's Handbook (pt no 01419789951) on p119 it states:

"Note that the defective road wheel cannot be carried in the spare wheel holder. Protect the defective road wheel in the plastic bag (supplied with the toolkit) and place it in the luggage compartment"

The handbook is for the 1.8 and 1.9 versions (I have a supplementary handbook for the 2.8 differences - there is no reference to wheel changing in there). Looks like some owners must have pointed out that the wheel doesn't fit in the boot. Seems that BMW realised the error of their ways and simply chose to omit references in all subsequent handbooks! :roll:

It's a good job that we've got a forum where we can help each other with our zeds if BMW are changing what's written in the manuals...
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Canman wrote:BonBon, can i ask , what did you do with the "dead wheel" ? did it fit in the boot? :|
This is where you need to get your priorities right, Put the wheel on the seat and tell the Wife to wait at the side of the road :wink:
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

No worries here, no traction control :roflmao:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

My manual does not mention where to put the defective wheel, I found that one out for real!
It does not mention anything about turning the traction control off, it drove ok with the skinny on as long as I did not go over 20mph :(
My manual is 2002.
chas 1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chas 1 »

Don't lose the plot Mike, your wisdom is valuable to those of us who just want to run a non boring car at reasonable cost.
The world is too judgemental these days. But back on topic, my manual has no mention of asc off for skinny wheel.

The more I use my Z the better, more reliable and less costly it gets.