problem starting z3 in morning

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

problem starting z3 in morning

Post by kp »

Has anyone got any theory's as to why my z3 has trouble starting in the morning.
I have taken out the bulb in the boot and car, also bought another battery but it still seems to be the same.
It does seem something is draining over night, when i get the car started it seems to charge by the time i get to work, then sounds flat in the morning.

:head:
jabber

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by jabber »

check that the wiring loom that goes from inside the boot to the boot lid is not damaged. they can get damaged by the hinges and cause all sorts of problems, had the same thing happen on an e36 evey time i closed it the boot shorted the wiring and drained the battery completley dead and unchargeable took me 3 batteries and 2 visits to an auto electrician till i found the problem.
hope this helps
jabber

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by jabber »

check that the wiring loom that goes from inside the boot to the boot lid is not damaged. they can get damaged by the hinges and cause all sorts of problems, had the same thing happen on an e36 evey time i closed it the boot shorted the wiring and drained the battery completley dead and unchargeable took me 3 batteries and 2 visits to an auto electrician till i found the problem.
hope this helps
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

thanks

Post by kp »

will have a look today
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Looking

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Looking at things will not be much use - unless you have x-ray vision!

Buy a decent multimeter and connect it in place of the battery earth cable, so you can measure the drain on the battery when everything is turned off.

If it is more than about 30 milliamps, pull the fuses out one at a time and see if it reduces. If not, try disconnecting the starter motor and then the alternator.
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

thanks

Post by kp »

thanks mike will have a go at that