Z3 2.8 auto to manual conversion?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kohoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 2.8 auto to manual conversion?

Post by kohoy »

Hello everyone,

I know this sounds stupid to your guys but I have no way to find a manual Z3 2.8 locally and that I already have a clean, low milage auto one. so I am thinking to have it converted to manual. I don't know if it is worth or not but a manual 2.8 z3... that's what I want...

Have anyone done this before? I know I should be looking for a 5spd m3 gearbox... How about drive shaft? which one should I look for? Is the rear diff different from AT and MT?

Thanks everyone for reading and it's appreciated for any input.

Cheers
Last edited by kohoy on Wed 26 May, 2010 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
kohoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by kohoy »

anyone have any idea? thx in advance
zerolam

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by zerolam »

pls check your pm. i live in Hong Kong too.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

You don't really want to do this.. there are lots of parts to change, even the engine ECU because Autos have different mapping to manual.

Much easier to buy a manual one.. can't you import one?
kohoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by kohoy »

Thx for the info and suggestion, the only MT Z3 I can find is 1.9 and Z3 M... no one ever imported a 2.8 here in Hong Kong.

The import route.. cars older than 20yrs and newer than 6yrs is easy. But for car in this age group is very hard to get license here... so I believe it's not working either...

so there is maybe only 2 options left now...

1. MT conversion...
You said many parts need to be changed.. would you please list them here or forward me to any web site that might be helpful? About the ECU mapping... if a ECU remap can do it wouldn't be too hard for me... but the thing is do I actually need the ECU from a MT or I can just re-program the AT one to make it work?

2. Engine swap
It's not hard to source a E36 3.0 M3 front-cut with engine, ecu, loop, gearbox....etc... and then find the right drive shaft maybe from UK?
but it's going to be illegal in HK... well....