Waiting for my Z-3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Waiting for my Z-3

Post by OXO »

Hi all,

I've bought a 2001 2.2 by a different route to ones I see on here. We live in France now, so I wanted a LHD, 2.2. But they are v.expensive in France, so I've bought one on auction in Japan.

It's on the boat and will be here in may. Woo Hoo ! Can't wait.

Chris

- can't seem to add pictures as attachments.. is there a limit for new users?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase - I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.

Details of how to post pictures are given here.

One daft question... aren't japanese cars RHD? :?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Robert T wrote:Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase - I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.

Details of how to post pictures are given here.

One daft question... aren't japanese cars RHD? :?

Cheers R.
Yes, most japanese cars are RHD, but there's something over there where LHD cars are seen as being cool, so there are a few LHD available.

Slightly naff pictures..

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Congrats OXO :lol: Zed looks great and in a uncommon colour too 8-)

Blimey, how long does it take a boat to arrive from Japan?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

wow congrats, thats some commitment to get it from Japan!! just out of interest what are the charges like to get it over here?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Looks really good in white. Look forward to seeing some shiney pics when it gets over to France. :D

Lets hope it likes frogs legs as much as sushi. :lol:

Cheers R.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Boat from Japan, about 5 weeks, but there is also a delay waiting for one to be available.

It's costing about a couple of grand to get it here, tax registration etc. I'm doing it through a UK import company. Even with that I'm saving thousands on the price of a LHD on the open market.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Hi OXO,

Nice car, white looks good, don't see that very often.
We used to get oil & gas material (pipe) from Japan, but that used to take about 2 to 3 months, as they used so called 'Trampers'
I take it that your car must be on a container vessel?
Being a new owner, I am also surprised at the price difference for cars in the UK compared to cars in mainland Europe!!
Bet you can't wait for it to arrive. :)

HT
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Wow, that looks really nice - welcome to the forum, and yes that is some committment to buy from japan, well done. Looking forward to seeing more pics when its home :)

Gill
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

Hi, Oxo welcome bet you cant wait. not being nosey , more intrigued. i presume you are buying blind as such. so what if the zed is not as described? is it your problem or the import co. was it a fixed price deal arranged prior to shipping. sorry for questions but its not something you here/read about everyday.
good luck :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Hi, OXO, looking forward to hearing more about your adventurs with this car which have started before you even get it :D

There is a general shortage on container shipping currently. Bizzarly due to the global climate less ships are available and so containers are actually at a premium with some longer waiting lists :roll:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hope it wasn't on either of these two - they were going the wrong way. :wink:

Cheers R.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

I have a condition report, and if it's not exactly as described I have comeback with the UK company.

But yes, it is a bit nerve wracking. Paid for the car at the end of january, and it got onto the ship 27 march :?

Best bit about buying from Japan except for the price is the mileage. It's done 53,100 miles :D
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

I wouldn't worry about condition, the car looks absolutely superb and being from Japan you know it will have passed the stringent Shaken (think I've got the spelling right) tests every 2 years. They are fastidious people and take a great pride in owning a nice car.
Mine was imported from Japan, me being the first UK owner and I couldn't believe the fantastic condition. Although a 1998 model it really was indistinguishable from new, very low miles, a full service history, year old tyres and almost clinically clean.
Your manual will be in Japanese but you can easily download a copy.
Enjoy your beautiful car.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Thanks DC.

We are already planning some finishing touches. I reckon it will look great with chrome door handles and gills.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You may need to set the tuner region to Europe in the submenu. Depending on which radio you have, the options menu is usually entered by holding down a button or two.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

The radio may be like mine which doesn't have regional options so has a converter fitted, this will probably be taken care of by the importer along with the speedometer conversion from kilometers to miles.
I should have mentioned that the only thing that let mine down was the perished rubber beading round the rear window and the rubber grommets behind the door handles, both now replaced. Window itself was fine but the beading is part of it. Grommets dead cheap at about a fiver, OEM replacement rear window, deep breath at about £156-00. if I remember correctly.Both easy to fit and well worth doing.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

No well maintained LHDs in Germany?
....presumably cheaper than in Japan & shipping :shrug

Saying that - it look in superb condition :thumb:
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Is it coming in a container or on deck ? my husband imported his car back from Cyprus and the Italian crew of the boat rifled through the car to find any bits they could pinch which included a set of front fog lights that were fitted to the car.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

It's bound to be container as an import company bringing hundreds of cars in each year would be responsible and wouldn't take the chance.
There won't be any corrosion either as they don't salt the roads in Japan!
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

It can be either, import companies still ship them either way but obivoulsy it will be priced accordingly. OXO says its costing a couple of grand, how much of that is french registration and tax etc I dont know, From Cyprus the shipping costed £400 on deck.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Quick replies:-

No, they are much more expensive in Germany, and lots of miles on them too.

It's coming on a special car carrier:-

http://www.eukor.com/homepage/eukor/fleet_visitship.jsp
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Yep same kind of vessel it has Ro / Ro decks, plus container space, had they specified which it is ?

I would be interested to know how much just the shipping from japan is costing you.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

They said verbally that it is Morning Composer, but I haven't had the Bill of Lading yet.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

WOW! A white one! Congrats, looks stunning... best engine too ;)
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Welcome to the forums! Plenty of low-cost LHD models over here in the USA ;-)
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
Courageous

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Courageous »

Hi Oxo and a very warm welcome to these hallow halls. Nice looker that. Well done!

I was looking for a left hooker and echo your obs regarding germany. I was expecting better prices as I had bought a ford cougar over there before and found a great buy. Spain wasn't an option due to cost and also the ever present problem that the spaniards generally treat their cars like sh!te.

I did also briefly look at the usa and by the time you costed in shipping and VAT it didn't seem to me to be cost effective. I must admit though that I did limit my search to Ebay there.

The japanese option didn't enter my mind as I assumed all cars there would have been right hookers but it just goes to show eh?

RORO vessels - don't talk to me about those flippin things. I nearly sunk one in the red sea once not too far from the very spot where I lost 3 good friends in a capsizing of the same type....... :(
In the land of the pigs the butcher is king.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Courageous wrote: RORO vessels - don't talk to me about those flippin things. I nearly sunk one in the red sea once not too far from the very spot where I lost 3 good friends in a capsizing of the same type....... :(
:shock: Jesus, how the hell did that all happen?

HT
quartoboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by quartoboy »

Nice car! ! !
In Italy I know that someone bought a z3 in Germany but never in Japan!
Courageous

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Courageous »

Well HT, in both cases the vessel shipped water on the main deck which runs the entire length and breadth of the vessel. There is no decompartmentation as usually the case with ships of this type. In my particular case I was duty engineer and was asked by the mate to "trim down by the head". This meant I should run the pumps which would draw in sea water to a huge tank in the bows. What nobody told me was that when full this thing would vent onto the main car deck. Of course I should have known but was new to this ship. As a result I think I dumped approximately 500 tons of water onto the car deck. As soon as the mate commanded a turn to starboard the water slewed over to the port side and we took on a very substantial list to port!

Fortunately, in our case, survivable as the seas were flat calm.

In the case of my friends we will never know. All we do know is that one of the guys had his wife on board. She, a very strong swimmer, survived, only to dive back into the capsized vessel to save her husband (the ships electrical officer) and she never returned.

Very tragic. RIP good friends.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

Courageous wrote:Well HT, in both cases the vessel shipped water on the main deck which runs the entire length and breadth of the vessel. There is no decompartmentation as usually the case with ships of this type. In my particular case I was duty engineer and was asked by the mate to "trim down by the head". This meant I should run the pumps which would draw in sea water to a huge tank in the bows. What nobody told me was that when full this thing would vent onto the main car deck. Of course I should have known but was new to this ship. As a result I think I dumped approximately 500 tons of water onto the car deck. As soon as the mate commanded a turn to starboard the water slewed over to the port side and we took on a very substantial list to port!

Fortunately, in our case, survivable as the seas were flat calm.

In the case of my friends we will never know. All we do know is that one of the guys had his wife on board. She, a very strong swimmer, survived, only to dive back into the capsized vessel to save her husband (the ships electrical officer) and she never returned.

Very tragic. RIP good friends.

What a shame eh
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Heard this week :shock: that the car didn't get on to the first vessel, but it will be on the next. ETA Southampton 10 June . Woo Hoo!

There will be plenty of summer left :)
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

That is very good news, but I bet you are not to happy that it did not get on the first vessel.

HT
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

I know where it is now -

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipde ... =308726000

click on "Current vessels track"
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

I couldn't imagine having to wait that long!!!!!!
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

OXO wrote:I know where it is now -

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipde ... =308726000

click on "Current vessels track"
I've just spent about an hour looking at this, it's fascinating.
Bet it's your screen saver now!
Dave
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

This transaction has gone badly wrong. I now need a UK solicitor if anyone can recommend a good un..
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

OXO wrote:This transaction has gone badly wrong. I now need a UK solicitor if anyone can recommend a good un..
Thats terrible news :o I really hope that whatever the problem is that you get it sorted mate, and sorry that I cant help you.
Courageous

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Courageous »

Christ OXO. I assumed it arrived on the due date? Whassappened? :shock:
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Courageous wrote:Christ OXO. I assumed it arrived on the due date? Whassappened? :shock:
Now is not the time to tell.

Suffice it to say, I'm now looking for a LHD Z-3, post 2000, 6 cylinder, not black or silver. Cash waiting..
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Sorry to hear that.
Best of luck.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Just to fill in some details.

The company I used to buy the car at auction was Bonsaicars http://www.bonsaicars.com

All looked well to start with, and monies were paid.

Then the fun started. They continually promised the car was on a vessel, only to reveal when the vessel arrived in europe that the car was not on. This continued with them lying about the shipping until finally we demanded our money back in august. They agreed, but no money arrived, so we have taken out a claim against them in the County Court using money claim online.

We now have the judgement ( they didn't even respond to the court documents), and the bailiffs will be on their way soon.

:( :(

Update:- We aren't the only ones in this pile of merde:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/141274-impor ... -cars.html
Last edited by OXO on Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
chris.sargent

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by chris.sargent »

Oxo - how interesting, I'd been looking at some cars through them and I had a feeling it was a bit dodgy but this put me right off!

I am moving to France and also can't believe the prices of cars there - cheapest Z3 I could find was about €10k!

I don't know if you'd be interested in this one I saw - I think you're looking for 6-cyl?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1237372.htm
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Yes, mad prices over here. Where in France will you be moving to?
chris.sargent

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by chris.sargent »

Anitbes initially. Then probably to St Raphael. Bringing my E46 M3 Convertible with me, definitely can't afford an LHD one of those!
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

sorry to hear about your experience...
We have had lots of companies here in Denmark who wanted the money up-front - and then they went bust..... Bloody bastards IMO! Somebody ought to kick their behinds! :twisted:

Look for a car on www.mobile.de - A great site - I found mine there...

Look for a sterling silber metallic - a future classic colour!

just found this one:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showD ... geNumber=1

great lookin' motor!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Ferdinand wrote:just found this one:
11.7k Euros for a 2.2! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers R.
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

We're used to 180% tax - so it's cheap in my book....
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Robert T wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:just found this one:
11.7k Euros for a 2.2! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers R.
Yep, that's what you have to pay over here.
RHD are cheaper because they are RHD.

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Sorry to hear about your experience. Hopefully you can find a Z3 soon!