Replace brake fluid warning.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Replace brake fluid warning.

Post by Zedona »

The replace brake fluid warning light on my 1998 2.8 Z3 has come on and there are still 3 service lights to go b4 the next service. Is it possible to reset it without resetting the lot, if so how ? I don't want to go to a stealer when my friendly & reliable local garage can change the fluid a lot cheaper. Mike Fishwick to the rescue ?
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Brake fluid change is time based - usually 2 years and seldom coincides with a service.
As brake fluid is hygroscopic (ie absorbs water) it needs to be changed to
prevent internal rusting and boiling under hard braking.
It's a simple but necessary job.
Image :devil:
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Replace brake fluid warning.

Post by oakley6691 »

Zedona wrote:The replace brake fluid warning light on my 1998 2.8 Z3 has come on and there are still 3 service lights to go b4 the next service. Is it possible to reset it without resetting the lot, if so how ? I don't want to go to a stealer when my friendly & reliable local garage can change the fluid a lot cheaper. Mike Fishwick to the rescue ?
Others may be able to confirm, but i'm pretty sure the brake fluid light comes on when the water content in the fluid reaches a certain limit, when you bleed the system through with new brake fluid the light will go out on it's own, easy job with an easy bleeder
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

oakley6691 wrote:Others may be able to confirm, but i'm pretty sure the brake fluid light comes on when the water content in the fluid reaches a certain limit, when you bleed the system through with new brake fluid the light will go out on it's own, easy job with an easy bleeder
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Absolutely not, it's a timer. It comes on two years after it was reset. It is independent of the SI lights.

Most of the consumer reset tools don't reset it. Not sure if there is a sneaky way of shorting two pins together to reset it though.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

I also want to know how to reset it - cant do it with Carsoft, Draper tool or the sneaky wire shorting trick.....it seems to be dealer only. rrrr
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Robert T wrote:Not sure if there is a sneaky way of shorting two pins together to reset it though.
There is indeed a "short" way using a bit of wire in the diagnostic port :lol:
IIRC it was pins 7 and 12 for 2 seconds - but don't quote me!
I'll post link if I can find one.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Robert T wrote:
oakley6691 wrote:Others may be able to confirm, but i'm pretty sure the brake fluid light comes on when the water content in the fluid reaches a certain limit, when you bleed the system through with new brake fluid the light will go out on it's own, easy job with an easy bleeder
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Absolutely not
Sorry but mine was changed by BMW in 2004, and then by myself in 2007 (but no light on), and now three years later....still no light :?: :?: :?:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

If you know it hasn't been changed for 3 years, what are you waiting for?
It's just possible that the warning light "bulb" may have failed.......
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Titan wrote:If you know it hasn't been changed for 3 years, what are you waiting for?

"What are you waiting for?" :?: :?: :?:

Sounds like a teacher telling a pupil of :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Rob13 wrote:I also want to know how to reset it - cant do it with Carsoft, Draper tool or the sneaky wire shorting trick.....it seems to be dealer only. rrrr

Just text my head mechanic in work and thankfully our new diagnostics/reset tool cover this issue....if my my brake fluid light ever comes on :?
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

Why would your tool be capable of turning off that warning light if it turned itself off based on the properties of the fluid?

</bait>

It's a timer.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

oakley6691 wrote:
Titan wrote:If you know it hasn't been changed for 3 years, what are you waiting for?
Yes I was :roll: Go and stand in the corner you naughty pupil :dunce:
And then before you use your car again make sure it has some nice fresh, dry brake fluid - please :o

Apologies Oakley - no offence intended - another example of the reading being different from the implied written word.

On a serious note, I wonder if there is a way to to "test" the warning light since it appears not to have worked for at lest 4 years.
It should be a simple 2 year countdown.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Titan wrote:
oakley6691 wrote:

Apologies Oakley - no offence intended - another example of the reading being different from the implied written word.
quote]

NO OFFENCE TAKEN... :)

I was wrong and deserved to be told :D :lol: :D :lol: :D
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

Titan wrote: On a serious note, I wonder if there is a way to to "test" the warning light since it appears not to have worked for at lest 4 years.
It should be a simple 2 year countdown.
Does it not come on when you first turn the ignition on?
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The brake fluid change warning is a small clock symbol, which as Robert said is time dependant (2 years) I wouldn't really call that a "warning light" as it doesn't really stand out
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

Don't know about this being a two year thing I've had the car for three years and it's only just come on. :?: Problem solved my local friendly and reliable guy tells me he knows how to reset the light :D so it's going in next week to be done
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Clock

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - the clock symbol is operated by a simple timer two years after being reset. Sensing moisture in the brake fluid - you must be joking!

The SI reset is controlled by the data link socket, which is alongside the engine, with a circular screw-on cap. Removal of the cap sets the system into 'Service' mode.

The clock cannot be reset without also resetting the SI lights, as it takes about 11 seconds of joining the contacts of the data link socket, whereas the SI lights only require about 8 seconds of joining the same contacts. (I forget the exact periods, but you get the idea)

Don't take any notice of the SI lights anyway - you are better off changing the engine oil every 8 to 10,000 miles, and resetting the lights a bit after the second light goes out.

After this the performance deteriorates, and fuel consumption goes up - I bet the SI circuit sends a signal down the data bus to the engine ECU, telling it to begin retarding the ignition a few degrees every thousand miles. This means that after paying maybe £400 for a fancy oil change, the car goes a lot better, and the owner thinks that it was money well spent!

I once ran mine until the orange 'Service NOW' light was on, when the engine was really sluggish and struggled to make 30 mpg. I then reset the SI lights, and it was like having a new car!

To reset the SI system, get a piece of wire which fits firmly into the sockets of the data link connector under the bonnet. Now turn the ignition on, insert the wire into the sockets which are in line with the 'beak' of the hole at the centre of the connector, on the outer edge - pins 1 and 7.

After the appropriate time has passed, pull the wire out, and turn off the ignition. When you turn it on again, all 5 lights should be on, and also the clock symbol extinguished.

For full details, look under 'Electrical' on http://www.unofficialbmw.com/ronstygar.html
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Clock

Post by oakley6691 »

Mike Fishwick wrote: Sensing moisture in the brake fluid - you must be joking!
No i wasn't joking because when i'm joking i want people to laugh at what i say and it's already been made perfectly clear i was wrong.....so cheers for keeping on :head:
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

I'm trying to find the way to reset the brake fluid change warning light on a S54 M Coupe. Did anyone find out how to do this using the onboard computer?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Does this help, says for oil but as there's only two holes it might be a case of holding it longer (see text)

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/02/24/re ... ice-light/
OK, now you’re ready to reset the oil service light, so turn the ignition key to position II, but don’t start the car. Get out of the car and go to the data port. Always connect pin 7 first. Once you’ve inserted one end into pin 7, insert the other end into pin 19 and hold it there for 4 seconds. Then remove the paperclip. Check the dash and the oil inspection lights should be reset. The reset occurs upon removal of the clip.
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Thanks Chris, but that's for resetting the service lights and I don't want to do that; I only want to reset the brake fluid change timer.
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mid life crisis »

I think its the same pins, just hold the link in for longer (12 or 14 secs) to reset the brake fluid warning clock :rtm:
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

mid life crisis wrote:I think its the same pins, just hold the link in for longer (12 or 14 secs) to reset the brake fluid warning clock :rtm:
Can you refer me to the source where it says that?
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Refer to the link added by C W. i managed to reset mine with a tool bought from Bavarian Dominator for about £15
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

I must be missing something here. I've read that link several times and it appears to me that connecting of pins 7 & 19 only resets the service lights (the green, amber and red squares) and nothing specifically refers to the brake fluid clock reset.

Is your reset device from Bavarian Dominator the one with three buttons where the yellow one resets the brake fluid light?
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

If you just want to reset just the service lights you remove the link after 4 or 5 seconds if you want to reset the brake fluid light you leave the 2 pins connected for longer, i think you`ll find using this system you can only reset the service lights & the clock symbol
Incidentally my reset tool is the 2 button version, my zed`s a 99.
Hope this helps, regards Gary