ABS / ASC Lights & Carsoft

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

ABS / ASC Lights & Carsoft

Post by dazed »

I dont post much, but I'm here everyday reading. I seem to just post when i have a problem that i havent seen before. So heres my latest problem...

I have the random ABS / ASC lights problem very occasionally whilst driving the lights come on. They can be cleared by switching off, waiting a minute then re-starting. But i want to fix it.

In the past I have cleaned the rear sensors as the front ones wouldnt come out but that hasnt solved it, recently I ran up Carsoft and it says its a problem with the ABS pump. So my question is this... Can i trust the Carsoft diagnostics? Would it say there was a fault with a wheel sensor?
Anyone changed an ABS pump, is it a nightmare?
Thanks and sorry for the long post. :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are a limited number of diagnostic codes that the system can report, so it is not necessarily the pump that has failed. Prime candidate would therefore be the front sensors and the wires leading to them - I would try cleaning those first - a replacement pump is not going to be cheap.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

If you have carsoft working you could try INPA to get a deeper level of diagnostics.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
dazed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dazed »

Thanks for the responses.
I'm not going to get a chance to work on the front sensors for a couple of weeks, so in the meantime i am sourcing INPA, i hadnt heard of it before :oops: i can easily find the time to plug the laptop in and hopefully i can get some more meaningful error codes.
I'll let you know what i find - it might just help someone else.
:)
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

I now have my USB - ODBII adapter, and 20 pin plug - OBD.
I also have Carsoft and INPA today, just tried to connect to car with no luck.
Im running win XP pro SP2.

Is there any other setup I need to get working. I have installed the software that came with my USB OBD, and have set USB COM to COM 3.

Any help would be appreciated to get connected to my car.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

Hi dazed i have the same problem and mine can not come on for months then come on and off for a few drives then off again. i had the diagnostics done and it came back as the ABS pump sticking and the pump wouldn't run from the laptop. i recently priced a new oem unit £1200 and there is a repair kit available at £800. i have seen one at a breakers for £100 but you dont know really what your getting. i have often wondered if the pump sticks as a result of the brake fluid not being changed and dirt in the fluid, or maybe it doesn't work like that. someone more in the know might help. i have once or twice ( when the light not on ) stamped on the brakes in order to make the ABS pump work and the ABS is fine.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

indizee wrote:I now have my USB - ODBII adapter, and 20 pin plug - OBD.
I also have Carsoft and INPA today, just tried to connect to car with no luck.
Im running win XP pro SP2.

Is there any other setup I need to get working. I have installed the software that came with my USB OBD, and have set USB COM to COM 3.

Any help would be appreciated to get connected to my car.
For carsoft, google 'carsoft success' and follow the instructions exactly.

For INPA, follow my instructions in linked post 3 exactly.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

I've been reading the Bimmer forum, I have spotted that Carsoft has a Hardware component, which I dont have . Is this correct?

Tried INPA installation as per estock thread, no go there either. Im trying to see if my laptop can even speak to my car at all. As nothing seems to work, no matter how many times I reinstall the OS, and INPA.
Im using COM1 which tells me there is a conflict with COM1 and the standard port. Do I disable the standard COM1 so the USB can use it?
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

indizee wrote:I've been reading the Bimmer forum, I have spotted that Carsoft has a Hardware component, which I dont have . Is this correct?

Tried INPA installation as per estock thread, no go there either. Im trying to see if my laptop can even speak to my car at all. As nothing seems to work, no matter how many times I reinstall the OS, and INPA.
Im using COM1 which tells me there is a conflict with COM1 and the standard port. Do I disable the standard COM1 so the USB can use it?
I can't help you with Carsoft.

Yes INPA needs to use COM1.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Thanks, Ive given up on Carsoft as I dont have a hardware interface.

Im just reinstalling INPA, Ive followed your instructions to the letter, and have the same hardware, but it still isnt working. I just get a load of error messages when I tried to read any modules or codes with the Function keys.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Who Cares?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Who cares if the ABS does not work? It's not necessary unless you do a lot of driving on snow and ice, or have a death wish and treat your car like some kind of weapon.

How do you think we managed in the 'old' days, on non-grippy tyres, with grabby drum brakes? No problems really, it's just that a bit of common sense and anticipation was required.

People are being conditioned to think that these toys are necessary - if my ABS packed in, I would simply carry on as usual. It's amazing how hard you have to brake on water or gravel, even on a motorcycle, to make the ABS operate.

There are enough hot Mk.2 Golf GTIs around, with as much if not more power than a Z3 and big front brakes, and no ABS - their drivers simply know not to stamp hard on the middle pedal in poor conditions.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

indizee wrote:Thanks, Ive given up on Carsoft as I dont have a hardware interface.

Im just reinstalling INPA, Ive followed your instructions to the letter, and have the same hardware, but it still isnt working. I just get a load of error messages when I tried to read any modules or codes with the Function keys.
So post specific messages verbatim and then you may be able to get some help. I assume you are using the E36 pages, since you are talking to an E36. What error message does the ABS script give?
Mike Fishwick wrote:Who cares if the ABS does not work? It's not necessary unless you do a lot of driving on snow and ice, or have a death wish and treat your car like some kind of weapon.

How do you think we managed in the 'old' days, on non-grippy tyres, with grabby drum brakes? No problems really, it's just that a bit of common sense and anticipation was required.

People are being conditioned to think that these toys are necessary - if my ABS packed in, I would simply carry on as usual. It's amazing how hard you have to brake on water or gravel, even on a motorcycle, to make the ABS operate.

There are enough hot Mk.2 Golf GTIs around, with as much if not more power than a Z3 and big front brakes, and no ABS - their drivers simply know not to stamp hard on the middle pedal in poor conditions.
It's an requirement of the much malligned MOT that ABS should work if present. :|
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Will note the error codes and post them. Quick sanity check, which position should the ignition be?

Sequence? = should this be fire up INPA and then turn on ignition, or on ignition then INPA?
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

Didn't work *at all* for me unless the engine was running.

Also I took the precaution of starting the engine THEN plugging in the USB end of the adapter just to give the electronics a chance to settle down after the engine started.

Worked fine after that. (You need shift-F9, E36 to get anything useful out of INPA)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Ignition must be on first and throughout.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Grr, do I have the same car as everyone else? Not even shorting pin 7 and 19 will reset my oil service light. I thought i would go back to basics to see if that worked, alas, not even in the slightest.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

When you are ready to continue looking at INPA, post your errors.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Who Cares?

Post by Canman »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Who cares if the ABS does not work? It's not necessary unless you do a lot of driving on snow and ice, or have a death wish and treat your car like some kind of weapon.

i totally agree Mike but if the ABS light is on it will fail an MOT in the UK. Also when the ABS light is on, the ASC light also comes on so does this mean that doesn't work either . i want my Zed to be right and these faults niggle you hence the need to get to the bottom of the problem.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

HI, today I have reinstalled my OS, reinstalled the INPA as per estocks instructions. I have set USB Serial Port to COM1 in comp. management, but this must surely conflict with Communications Port (COM1), which is also default to COM1.

My systen variables reads:
Variable Value
ediabas_config_dir c:\ediabas\bin

I turned the engine on this time then started INPA.

I have got to the front screen and selected Shift+F9 to get the E36 configs.
As soon as I select any of the E36 options I get the following error message:

IFH-0018 : INITIALIZATION ERROR. Program will be stopped!

I then press the OK button and get the next error message:

EDIAIBAS -error
ApiCheckJobStatus: Error #95
SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND
API job error or no such result !
Continue script processing?

I press YES and it loops the error message, I press NO and it takes me back to the first screen again.

Not sure where to go from here. I've tried it with the engine on, the engine off, ignition on. Nothing seems to work.
Last edited by indizee on Mon 17 May, 2010 16:57, edited 2 times in total.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You are right, COM1 is occupied. Right click the hardware com port and select properties/advanced. Set it to COMSomethingElse.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Hmmmm, might need to edit your initial posting.

I did change it yesterday, with no luck.

On a side note, Win XP doesnt have the option to change latency within the USB Serial Port (COM1) - Properties -Advanced tab. Where else can it be changed? It does mention the latency timing is set to 1 within the ediabas.ini file
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8