Post by Mike »

Can anyone have any ideas

my Zed 2.8 failed with the following
Fast Idle Test
CO 1.657% and 1.728%
Lambda 1.025 and 1.191

Natural Idle Test
CO 5.568%

Could this be just that its sat doing little this year or is it symtomatic of something else? I'll change the plugs and filters and up the fuel octane and stuff some redex in. This with a blast or two might help I hope.

Any ideas appreciated. The Zed has done 140K miles so is middle aged and been no problem to date. Only change is a powerflow exhaust.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

All of the things you mention can contribute to making your emissions results worse, along with any leaks from the exhaust.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

OK, thanks for your input. Can I ask what you might suggest I do?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Mike wrote:OK, thanks for your input. Can I ask what you might suggest I do?
Wrok through them one at a time, starting with the cheapest.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

I had similar figures at my last M.O.T and I also have a powerflow system. I think my CAT is 200 cpi (cones per inch)

It ended up being a faulty Lambda sensor and the fact the mot station failed to warm the cat up to a good operating temperature. Most mot centers just leave the car ticking over on idle for 10 minutes to warm up. This is not sufficient.

After I had my car fail I took it out and really warmed the car up by holding it at 4500rpm for a few stretches of the local dual carriageway. When I got back to the station you could hear the car "tinkling" and they then retested.....it had dropped alot and was just over the limits, once the new lambda sensor was fitted it sailed through.

Funilly enough may car is in for an mot on thursday. I WILL be warming the car up properly first.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Another possibility, engine temp sender.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Temp?

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The most likely cause is that the engine - and the cats - was not really hot when tested - what is the recorded temperature?

You need to bring the car in for testing after a decent drive, and the emission tests should be dome immediately. If your MoT station will not do this, go elsewhere.
silver roadster

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by silver roadster »

my car was a import from Japan so needed a MOT it failed on the emissions the garage suspected the cat so decided to change it for a new one
when they removed the old one they found a plate welded on top so the cut it open guess what ? nothing inside lol
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

It passed. New plugs, filters and a 30 min blast round the country lanes so it was red hot when I took it in and all dandy. Another year of legality.
Got two new front tyres and trackrods replaced as well as they were lookning a bit dodgy.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

It passed. New plugs, filters and a 30 min blast round the country lanes so it was red hot when I took it in and all dandy. Another year of legality.
Got two new front tyres and trackrods replaced as well as they were lookning a bit dodgy.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Trust

Post by Mike Fishwick »

This just shows that you can't trust a garage to even manage an MoT test properly! The sooner the UK has proper dedicated test centres, the better.

Hope they screwed your track rod ends on in a better manner . . .

Did they offer any kind of refund for the original botched test?
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

They gave me the partial retest for free, so that worked out OK. Car is going well now and is legal again so we took it to Purbeck for the weekend. Fantastic sunny weather blatting about Corfe Castle and the surrounds.