Spare key

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Spare key

Post by marcusplowman »

Does anyone know how much BMW charge for a new key? One of these...

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Approx £150 all in if memory serves.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
boblez

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Key

Post by boblez »

Im sure mine was around £70 but then had to pay a little extra to get it coded to my car, oh and £5 for the cover on the back which you have to buy separate!
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I hope its not 1:1 scale
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

It is possible just to change the caseworks, if yours are tatty.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Richard Wright

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Spare key

Post by Richard Wright »

See that you are in Northern Ireland. I got one from Bavarian in Belfast and I think it was around the price othes are quoting. You will need the V55 and your driving licence to prove ownership and it takes about two days to come. They programme it to the car as part of the price - only takes a minute. They insist on the documents - so bring them with you - even though they know me well from my other car they still wouldn't give me the key without them!

Richard
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If you just need to replace because of a broken / tatty case then you can do it for c£15.

See my journal entry on the 10th Sept 2009 when I replced my case:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

New case available on Ebay for under £7 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-3-BUTTON-REMO ... 439f84f014

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mid life crisis »

i`ve just bought a spare from Rybrooks Worcester £117 last month, you will need V5 & proof of ID
maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Key

Post by maxman »

boblez wrote:Im sure mine was around £70 but then had to pay a little extra to get it coded to my car, oh and £5 for the cover on the back which you have to buy separate!
I bought one about 3 yrs ago from a bmw indie and it cost about £72 all in.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Spare key

Post by marcusplowman »

Richard Wright wrote:See that you are in Northern Ireland. I got one from Bavarian in Belfast and I think it was around the price othes are quoting. You will need the V55 and your driving licence to prove ownership and it takes about two days to come. They programme it to the car as part of the price - only takes a minute. They insist on the documents - so bring them with you - even though they know me well from my other car they still wouldn't give me the key without them!

Richard
Thanks Richard! I rang Bavarian about side repeaters and never thought to ask about a key too! Ill give them a ring tomorrow and will try JKC too as my folks live in Coleraine...just to see if theres a difference in price!

Its the whole key with internals and programming that I need as I only have 1 :(
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Hi Marcus

I just got my Z3 about 3 weeks ago and needed a spare key as it only came with one. It cost me £113 or £116 from bavarian and that included getting it programmed with the car. Like already said you need the paperwork or they wont even look at it for you and it does only take about 2 days to arrive. Unfortunately for me theres something wrong with my car and although the keys work manually they wont work with the remote central locking! Doh!!

So what sort of Z did u get? How long have u had it?
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Hi Chris! I got a 2000 2.8 at the start of the week! Just rang there and the remote key is indeed £114 and a few quid for the cover on the back :( and a general key without the remote is £33! All they need is the chassis number and comes programmed from the factory already according to JKC! They need to see the V5 and your driving licence before you can order too! I think I will just get the general key at the moment as its only for backup!
Richard Wright

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Spare Key

Post by Richard Wright »

Hi Marcus

Good thinking re getting the ordinary key as a spare - wish I had thought of that as I only wanted it as a spare too. However life is about the pursuit of knowledge! Good to know there are other Zs here in Northern Ireland.

Richard
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Yeah I wish I did the same rather than spending over £100 for nothing! Definately is good to see other z's about in the neighbourhood, I was actually wondering if theres anything like an owners association over here and if they ever meet up for drives?
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

There are a good number of BM owners especially M3s on reallymeansounds.com so occassionally they have a BM meet! The other site that would be good for meets would be ni-bmw.co.uk
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

I only have one key for mine as well, and could really do with a spare. I have seen the blank keys on Ebay for less than a tenner.

Has anyone gone down this route? Would a local key cutter be able to copy this type of key?
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

simonbud100 wrote:I only have one key for mine as well, and could really do with a spare. I have seen the blank keys on Ebay for less than a tenner.

Has anyone gone down this route? Would a local key cutter be able to copy this type of key?
The keys on ebay etc wont have the immobiliser transponder needed to start the car...you could open the doors but not start the car with them...as far as I know :(
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The eBay ones are cases and blank key only.

Timpsons will cut the keys for <£5 and you could use purley as a spare key but the remote locking / alarm buttons will not work without the internals & immobilisor chip from another key.

New the later Z3's (ie with combined alarm/central locking/key) from memory came with:

x2 keys with alarm/immobilsor/central locking
x1 key (with key blade only)
x1 "valet" key (I don't think these opened the glove box/boot)

I have all with mine but most of the non remote keys get lost over time (ie stuck in a drawer somewhere and not transferred when the car sold)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
philip43

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by philip43 »

So then, can the internals of another BMW key be programmed to suit your own car? E.G the insides of say, an E38, be programmed to operate an E46? Oh, and i'm in Northern Ireland too!!
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Timpsons told me recently that they don't/can't cut keys for BMWs.
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Yeah, I got told the same by Timpsons. Anyone know anywhere that cut these? Everyone tells me no.
Cheers

Marc
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

You can get keys cut at Access, Lock & Key Service, 34-36, Canterbury Road, Westbrook, Margate, Kent CT9 5BN. Tel 01843 209200. Mine cost me £7.60 to cut.
I bought an uncut key off ebay and they cut it to my original and it was fine. They also cut a key blade for my daughter's Peugeot 107 from a high def photo which I sent them but I don't know whether they can do this for a BMW key.
If you buy a functioning remote key off ebay, remove the remote part from it and put it in a new, uncut ebay key and get the key cut, you can programme the remote to operate your locks and the key will go into he ignition switch and door & boot locks but will not start the car. Why not then buy a basic (cheaper) key from BMW, open it up & remove the transponder chip (which is pre-programmed to your car) and swap it over into the newly cut key. That way you get a fully functioning key that may work out cheaper (you need to look at ebay prices and do some sums to find out the overall cost).
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

For those of you in sunny NI I got my blank cut in Timpsons at the back of Castle Court in Belfast but he charged me about £12 I think to do it :( Works fine in the door, boot and ignition :) Pity I cant say the same about my ECU at the moment!