Gearbox shudder after replacing clutch?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
hallion

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Gearbox shudder after replacing clutch?

Post by hallion »

I've just had the clutch replaced on my 1.9 Z3 as it was slipping. There is now quite a bad shudder on the gearbox when changing gears (there was no shuddering before the clutch was replaced). Would anyone have suggestions about what might be causing this?

Many thanks guys
gelertd1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gelertd1 »

Could be several things - but normally juddering on clutch take up is due to oil contamination and/or misalignment of the components.

My guess (in no particular order) would be one or more of the following..........

1. Poor quality pattern part - (you get very much what you pay for in my experience) - alot of Chinese cr*p pattern parts out there now :evil: - I only use recognised OEM suppliers (Borg and Beck - LUK etc)
2. Oil contamination of the friction plate - i.e the fitter managed to place oily finger prints over the friction lining when fitting - not unheard of
3. If the clutch was slipping it's possible that the flywheel face has overheated on the surface causing a build up of nigh on invisible cracks curable by skimming (if a solid flywheel and within tolerances) or replacement - any slipping masks this issue whilst making it worse. We always used to recommend flywheel skim/replacement on anything that had been subject of prolonged slippage or racing starts during the clutches life
4. Disturbance and or straining of rubber gearbox mountings during replacement may have 'finished off' one or more of them allowing movement of the gearbox under load causing judder

If it was fitted by a garage take it back and get them to investigate :thumb:
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Pressure plate bolts not done up a turn at a time in a diagonal manner, causing pressure plate not to be sitting 100% square.

Or have they left the gearbox crossmember loose?

I have spent the last few days replacing the clutch in my 1.9, just got the exhaust to fit tomorrow.
hornel Z3M

blank

Clutch

Post by hornel Z3M »

JUST HAD A NEW CLUTCH FITTED IN MY I.9. THE GARAGE TOLD ME IF I DIDNT REPLACE THE FLYWHEEL I WOULD MORE THAN LIKELY IN THE FUTURE BE SORRY AND SHOWED ME SLIGHT MOVEMENT IN IT AND SAID IT WOULD JUDDER WHEN USING THE CLUTCH. HAD A NEW FLYWHEEL £260 :bawl: BUT THE CLUTCH NOW BEST ITS EVER BEEN. AND THE GARAGE ARE FRIENDS OF MINE SO THEY WERN`T OUT TO CATCH ME.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Clutch

Post by Hang_em_high »

hornel wrote:JUST HAD A NEW CLUTCH FITTED IN MY I.9. THE GARAGE TOLD ME IF I DIDNT REPLACE THE FLYWHEEL I WOULD MORE THAN LIKELY IN THE FUTURE BE SORRY AND SHOWED ME SLIGHT MOVEMENT IN IT AND SAID IT WOULD JUDDER WHEN USING THE CLUTCH. HAD A NEW FLYWHEEL £260 :bawl: BUT THE CLUTCH NOW BEST ITS EVER BEEN. AND THE GARAGE ARE FRIENDS OF MINE SO THEY WERN`T OUT TO CATCH ME.
Just a friendly tip :) UPPER CASE is shouting when typing :wink:
hornel Z3M

blank

typing

Post by hornel Z3M »

SORRY HANG EM HIGH :shock:
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Where exactly was the flywheel free play?

If it was rotational, then they are supposed to be like that, up to 30mm.

From the LUK website who make BMW clutches and flywheels:

3. With the flywheel still fitted...

Rotate the inner mass by hand anticlockwise and mark the flywheel then rotate it clockwise and measure the travel. REPLACE if the movement is:

- Less than15mm or

- More than 30mm
4. Check the bearing play...

Rock the inner mass from side to side. REPLACE if movement is:

- More than 2mm for passenge

- More than 4mm for light side to side

A flywheel should last the life of 2 clutches.