Solvent cleaner

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Solvent cleaner

Post by Fender2004 »

I'll be relacing the window in the soft top shortly, so I am looking for some solvent cleaner to remove the glue from the old window, so that the new window has a clean surface to stick to.
I've looked around and have found it difficult to buy any :head:
I've heard rubbing alcohol is good for this job, but when I ask, I get a look of are you going to drink it. :?:
Any suggestions of what to use and where to get it would be great
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Is this an OEM roof? In which case, I'm not sure what you are thinking of gluing as it zips in. :?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

I use Sticky Stuff Remover from Homebase to get rid of anything glue based. Can't remember who makes it, but it comes in a yellow spray can, costs like £3 and works brilliantly.
skygrasssky

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by skygrasssky »

Fascia cleaner is a good allround solvent cleaner and can be sourced from a plastics supplier or a friendly window/fascia fitter. This is ideal as it is in liquid form so can be brushed on or used on a cloth. I pay £4 per litre and it lasts for ages,
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for the replies guys :D

I know that the window zips in, but the zip is not waterproof, so as far as I know there is a strip of glue in front of the zip to make a water proof seal around the window. :rtm:
I bought some of the sticky stuff remover a while ago to remove sticky labels of items I had bought, so I will use that cheers.

I knew I could rely on zroaster for the answer :thumb:
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

as far as I know there is a strip of glue in front of the zip
My new OEM window came with double sided tape ready fitted alongside the zip and is completely waterproof.
The original window had also been fitted with double sided tape and the remains of it just rubbed off using my fingers, I didn't need any solvent.
Hope this will be the same for you but of course someone in the past may have used additional glue!
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for that I've tried to remove the window from the soft top and it seems to be coming away ok.

I have heard that some people have just been able to brush the old glue off but I will not know untill I replace the window.