JOM Coilovers?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris.sargent

Z3 roadster 2.8

JOM Coilovers?

Post by chris.sargent »

Hi, I've just found out I've got a broken rear spring and whilst looking for replacements I came across these... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-Coilovers- ... 53e1ab1a95

Has anyone had experience with these products on a Z3 or otherwise? Seems a bit of a bargain if they're half decent.

Cheers,

Chris
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Would be really interested to know what these are like as I have been looking at these and was on the brink of buying them. They drop from 30mm which is as low as I wanted mine where as most are from 40mm.
Will watch this thread with interest :)
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

I'd be amazed if they were any good at that price
No zed at the moment but always on the lookout!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Worth a punt at that price as you have to replace your spring anyway
Still modifying
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

If some one else is the one doing the punt. You get what you pay for would you exspareament with your brakes to not just your life your playing with on the roads be careful
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

They are TUV approved. I doubt if changing to them would be dangerous !!??
Still modifying
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

That means nothing still wouldn't put them on my car my son comes out with me on most drives and I like him and my Z so not for me :idea:
z3Dave

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3Dave »

I dont think its a safety issue. As a manufacture there image/ company would be ruined if cars safety was compromised. I think the main issue is quality. Yes they are TUV approved, but for the price how long will they last. I look at it my car was originally worth 23k. So if i was to spend something on the suspension (or any part) id spend in relation to what i think that part costs, maybe more.

eg
If the new standard exhaust is worth 100 quid, why by a claimed better new s/s big bore system for 50 quid. If it seems cheap....

But hey, they might be trying to storm into the market by offering them really cheap?! Ask questions first to save embarrassment later :)
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

with well known suspension manufactures you get what you pay for , but you also pay a premium for the name. for all we know these might be made in the same factory as the well known brands.
personally i would go for what i know as my Zed is my pride and joy and and would go the extra £'s for piece of mind, and she's worth it :D

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
chris.sargent

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by chris.sargent »

Went for simple replacement springs from GSF in the end... feel a tiny bit stiffer than the ones they replaced but then they were broken and a 100k old! Add these to uprated Z3M bushes, a 4 wheel alignment (which was done by Top Car in Hemel Hempstead, on a hunter machine, with ballast and needed no adjustment by the way) and the car is handling really nicely again. The car is behaving itself much better over uneven roads and the tramlining is all but gone and this is on an old set of Semperit tyres! (They came with the car!)

Looking at new tyres next as these are about gone, will probably go with the Falkens that are getting good reviews here or maybe even these Federal ones I've heard a little bit about - needs a bit more investigation though.
dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

blind as a bat post a question earlier about the same jom coilovers and didn't see this post just below, anyway i've purchased a set tonight they seem to get good reviews among the audi and vw forums so thought what the hell if there that bad i can change back.

Once fitted i will post pics and review them to give people a Z drivers point of view instead of speculation.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

good man, just the facts :wink:
Still modifying
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Waiting with great interest :wink: :)
uk86ze

M roadster S50

Post by uk86ze »

i was going to buy some aswell but where it states the engine size
2.0/2.2/2.5/3.0/3.2 excl cars with Mtec suspension
i thought only M's were 3.2.
dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

uk86ze wrote:i was going to buy some aswell but where it states the engine size
2.0/2.2/2.5/3.0/3.2 excl cars with Mtec suspension
i thought only M's were 3.2.
I thought that to, i phoned my local bmw main dealer before ordering gave them my chassis number and confirmed i didn't have Mtec suspension which luckly i don't.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I dont think safety is an issue, what you may find is they arent as good quality or do the job as well - I bought some cheap coilovers for one of my old cars, it was suprising how much movement I got considering how low I wound them down..but I also got a bone crunchingly hard ride..So all the negatives and none of the positives! :lol:
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

That's what I'm on about hard as nails not set for the car not set to any car just cheep crap :head:
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

alanj4353 wrote:That's what I'm on about hard as nails not set for the car not set to any car just cheep crap :head:
Cheap yes........crap :?: lets wait for the reveiw I think
BristolZed

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BristolZed »

People really seem to want to enforce there point of view on each other on this forum.
Unless you have experience with the product there really isnt much point saying anything at all.
Shouting cheap crap rubbish really isnt informative nor helpful.

Id like to hear how you get on with the coil overs sounds interesting.

I think everyones bought a cheap bit of kit at somepoint that hasnt bin quite what you were expecting but it dont mean you never going to buy a bargin again.
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

Who's shouting I'm just saying you don't get a full set for the price of one corner they have bin out for years change name 4 or 5 times that I now of. I think they where called black diamond in 2003/04 and they droped them no good they was under a few other names but all droped them so you spend your money on them if you want but you have bin told I'll say no more on the matter. Alan out :head:
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

These would be a better option:
Click

Jim
dpbayly

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by dpbayly »

well after placing the order, and paying 3 days went by so i called them to find they had none in stock and had no idea when they would be back in stock even though they showed on there ebay page they had at least 10 sets in stock and the ad is still live even now they know they have none anyway they refunded me my money so looks like i will be going else where