Cat advice

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Cat advice

Post by kingy1 »

After a few rumblings from the front end of the exhaust near the catalytic converter for the last few days. It now appears it may be totally blocked so much so that on the way to work this morning it was misfiring and totally ' holding back,' where i had to drop down all the gears right down to first to just get up a small hill, very embarrasing!!

The car is a 1.9 with 41000 on the clock is this normal for it to go so quickly??

And can anyone who may have had the same problems please give me advice or a link where i can pick one up from?

Many thanks
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I had my catalytic converter replaced at a muffler replacement place. So find yourself a business that deals in mufflers and ask if they do converters too!

I didn't put a BMW catalytic converter in, becuase they are HUGELY expensive, just a generic one.
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Thanks Rob,

how many miles/km had your Z done?
Had a few quotes from £100 to £175 just for the part, rang quick fit and they quoted £250 fitted!
The only thing is there appears to be two types a cheaper ceramic with two years warraanty or a three year steel one.
If i am taking the job on ddont really want to be in this position again in three years time!!
Anyone know the difference??
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

My Z had done about 65,000.
z3Dave

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by z3Dave »

Yeh, I had the same problem. Was struggling to do 60mph on the motorway! It went around 50k miles
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Thats a relief, thought id got some kind of problem, with my 41000 miles on the clock its not too far out compared with you guys.
Anyway its repaired now cost me £112 for a new one with a two year warranty, and fitted it myself, a lot better than the kwik fit gang that wanted £250!!
:D :D