Grom USB Audio

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Grom USB Audio

Post by eyezcar »

Hi
Anybody ever fit a Grom USB interface as a replacement for there boot mount CD Changer http://www.gromaudio.com if so how easy was it the US web sit suggest that its quite easy there english agent is a little unsure.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

That's a nice idea. I'm not sure I'd have the USB stick hanging out of the thing in the boot - I'd fit a nice USB hard drive instead :)

Please come back and let us know if it works..
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Thes don't work in a Z3. They expect to replace the iBus CD changer AI and not the old Alpine bus CD changer A fitted in the Euro Zs.

Sorry.
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Hi siwilson
Thanks for that thou a little surprised I have an email from them yesterday telling me " GROM adapters are compatible with 97-02 BMW Z3 factory-installed non-DSP car stereos."
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

eyezcar wrote:Hi siwilson
Thanks for that thou a little surprised I have an email from them yesterday telling me " GROM adapters are compatible with 97-02 BMW Z3 factory-installed non-DSP car stereos."
I would get them to check again. What gives this away is that the model they quote for the Z3 (GROM-USB2-BMW) is the same one they quote for the E46 3 series and E39 5 series. The audio system in the E46 and E39 is what is called iBus. It uses a different changer with different connectors to the ones on the UK spec Z3. In the US (where Grom comes from) things are different, They did have the iBus changer.

In the UK the audio system in the Z3 is the same as the old E36 3 series up to 1998 and they don't list one for that. The only exception is the single CD head-unit. This is IBUS, but the wiring is not place to the boot.
eyezcar

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by eyezcar »

Hi siwilson

Thanks again I'll give this one a miss.